Native Paypal module not returning to order confirmation page after payment

albertalbert

I have a Prestashop 1.5.2 that used the native Paypal module. During checkout, when a user was taken to Paypal to make the payment, he would be returned to the Order Confirmation page after making the payment.

This is very important because I have some custom module that gets called once that page is shown.

The native module stopped working, so I installed the new Official Paypal module for USA. The problem is that it's not showing the order confirmation page after the paymnet, but the order history page. The user is still charged correctly.

I've tried "transplanting" the module to the Payment return hook (displayPaymentReturn is the technical name) but it's not letting me do that.

Shouldn't the official Paypal module return to the order confirmation page by default? Isn't that the normal behavior?

If someone can help me figure this out I would really appreciate.

Thanks in advance

Ok so your paypal payments are showing as payment accepted and the order is place. However the user is not visiting your confirmation page to fire off a hook you have displayed for your 3rd party/custom code?

Do you have this setup on paypal standard payments where the customer is leaving the site to complete payment? Is it possible your customer is simply closing the paypal window and choosing not to return to the site?

Sorry if I am misunderstanding, so many sites are setup differently. Is this a case where express checkout needs used versus standard checkout?

Ok so your paypal payments are showing as payment accepted and the order is place. However the user is not visiting your confirmation page to fire off a hook you have displayed for your 3rd party/custom code?

Do you have this setup on paypal standard payments where the customer is leaving the site to complete payment? Is it possible your customer is simply closing the paypal window and choosing not to return to the site?

Sorry if I am misunderstanding, so many sites are setup differently. Is this a case where express checkout needs used versus standard checkout?

Hi masterzman, thank you for your response. It's an issue with the new Paypal module itself, let me explain: when a user makes a purchase in our website, during the checkout process he gets to the step where he can select payment method (we offer 2, paypal and credit card). If he selects paypal, he is taken to Paypal's website to complete the payment. Once he completes it, he is taken back to our website (this is handled by paypal). The problem is that the page that he is taken to isn't the order confirmation page, as it should be, but the order history page.

I know this is a problem with the new Paypal module for 2 reasons:

1. This worked fine with the previous official (made by Prestashop) Paypal module that we used to use (until we were forced to change to the new one because the old suddently stopped working (see my other post here https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/400252-urgent-native-paypal-module-stopped-working-no-error-logs/)

2. This works fine if the user selects the CC payment. Once the payment is processed he is taken to the order confirmation page

One thing I've noticed is that this new Paypal module is missing a hook for the "displayPaymentReturn" hook, which the old one had. But I don't understand why something as obvious as showing the order cofirmation page after a purchase would be removed in the new module...

• Like 1

Ive found the answer to your question. Are you any good with code?

You need to look at file /modules/paypalusa/views/templates/hook/order-confirmation.tpl

** This template is displayed to the customer upon order creation
** Products concerned: PayPal Payments Advanced, PayPal Express Checkout
** PayPal Payments Standard is not using this template and is redirecting the customer to their "Order History" page ("My account" section)

Ive found the answer to your question. Are you any good with code?

You need to look at file /modules/paypalusa/views/templates/hook/order-confirmation.tpl

** This template is displayed to the customer upon order creation
** Products concerned: PayPal Payments Advanced, PayPal Express Checkout
** PayPal Payments Standard is not using this template and is redirecting the customer to their "Order History" page ("My account" section)

So does that mean that I need to switch to Express checkout in the module configuration? Right now I  have it as Payments Standard. Does it make any difference in terms of the process itself? Haven't used Express checkout before...

Well, for anyone with this same problem, I found a solution: install the Paypal EU module from the Prestashop Addons site, not the US, Canada & Mexico one... Yeah because that's what make sense, isn't it?!?!

As the time goes by I regret more and more the decission of using Prestashop as my ecommer solution, not just because the multiple problems I've had with it but also because of the little support that I've gotten from the developers, even for paid modules. There's great users in the comunity that try to help (masterzman in this case or El Patron in many others) but my overall sensation is that users are on their own.

Won't happen again, that's for sure.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hey everyone, 

I have the same problem. One of the plugin I use is using OrderConfirmation hook. So as Paypal standard redirect on the Order History page, that hook is not called. This is a serious problem with this plugin.

1 - Masterzman, any solution at Prestashop ? Every payment plugin should redirect to the Order Confirmation page !!! That would make sens no ? 

2 - albertalbert, I don't find any plugin called Paypal EU anywehere to test your solution. Any link to give here ? 

I guess if this plugin (Paypal EU) exists and redirect to the Order Confirmation page, i should be possible to apply this to the USA one ! 

PRESTASHOP ? ANY SOLUTION ???

Thanks a lot in advance.

• 5 months later...

seems to be more then 1 having this issue with the USA/Canada version. I need it to go back to an order confirmation page NOT order history due to affiliate tracking. I cant use express because it causes difficulties with my affiliates who get a discount and have separate emails for their accounts and paypal. 

Is there Anyway to get the standard to point back to the order conf page instead of order history? I see the templates says this.. is there a way to edit and fix?

** International Registered Trademark & Property of PrestaShop SA
** Description: "PayPal Standard" payment form template
** This template is displayed on the payment page and called by the Payment hook
** Step 1: The customer is validating this form by clicking on the PayPal payment button
** Step 2: All parameters are sent to PayPal including the billing address to pre-fill a maximum of values/fields for the customer
** Step 3: The transaction success or failure is sent to you by PayPal at the following URL: http://www.mystore.com/modules/paypalusa/controllers/front/validation.php?pps=1
** This step is also called IPN ("Instant Payment Notification")
** Step 4: The customer is redirected to his/her "Order history" page ("My account" section)
*}

Yep I agree, the module version is really not coherent ! To bring your customers on an order history page instead of the confirmation order page is a non-sense. Even if the paiement is not validated, the order should be created before the confirmation order page and buyers should be redirected to this page. The IPN then should serve to validate paiements.

It's important as well that customers goes through order_confirmation hook, other else a lot of plugin doesn't work ... 

Anyone at Prestashop would be willing to answer to this problem, we are a lot of people thinking the same and experiencing a really bad customer experience because of this. 4 of my clients are not happy with this situation ... 

I'm ready to help fixing this problem and explaining more details if needed 

Thanks for taking this problem seriously.

• Like 1

REALLY hope this gets addressed. I switched from Open Cart to Presta for certain features.. however this type of an issue may lead me back to OC. I MUST have standard working for my affiliate program. (tracking is ON the order conf page - therefore if it doesnt return them to the order conf page - sale is not tracked) HUGE issue for me. 

Express just creates multiple customer accounts - which again is a HUGE issue for me. 

PS.. I should havent to pay in excess of 200$ for an upgraded paypal mod either.. it really should be accessible in the module offered. 

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone figured out how to rewrite the standard module to point to order confirmation INSTEAD of order history? 

Using paypal express is causing BIG issues on my site. When a customers email for paypal payments is different then their customer account it creates a whole new account - which I cant have since I have affiliates with a group discount. 

I am hoping someone can help out on this

Hey Excorp, 

Nothing has been to my knowledge, it's a shame Prestasho doesn't take this problem seriously ! I started to switch to Magento ... but still have customers stuck with this un professional situation.

If someone from Prestashop see this post, could you just at least answer and let us know if there's any plan to make this Paypal situation fixed ?

Hey Excorp, 

Nothing has been to my knowledge, it's a shame Prestasho doesn't take this problem seriously ! I started to switch to Magento ... but still have customers stuck with this un professional situation.

If someone from Prestashop see this post, could you just at least answer and let us know if there's any plan to make this Paypal situation fixed ?

I agree.. its causing quite a few issues with my affiliates. Making my office go crazy in changing things around when we should be focusing on sales. Would be great to have someone either change up the script in the Paypal standard module... or at least post a solution to how to add a order conf URL .. 

Express is not favorable, so we should be able to have another option if we use PP..  SMH

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For those of you with this issue see this post, I modify the module to work in US and use US Logo's.

https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/419632-paypal-no-order-in-bo-temp-fix-16/

I have had this issue since PayPal USA was released, I have used the EU module for some 2 years without any issues, orders are always placed, show in BO and customers are returned to the Order Confirmation page.

I assume if your customers are returned to Order history the order does not show in BO but is recorded at Paypal, furthermore upon returning to Order history alll items are still in the cart.

• 2 years later...

Hello @tdr170  , i have the same issue as in the first post  and guest customers are not redirected to the order confimation page  (they are redirected to the order history, but this is useless for guest checkouts....).

Can you help me with your EU module for Paypal, please?  I am in the EU and can not / will not use the US module of Paypal. 

Or is there any other solution for this probelm?  This would be great,

thank you