Ideas needed for price by weight and a per product handling fee

We manufacture U-bolts and we stock around 500 different sizes. But even so, customers always want we we don't have. 

So I had a thought. I can use combinations. Set up one product and use combinations for thread size etc which will impact on the weight of the product and the price

Great so far (apart from needing thousands of combinations)

Problems I have

1) It costs us £60 to set up the machinery. So if customer uses the combinations and finds the cost of the product is £1, we have to charge £61. If they but 10, the total cost is £70 etc  Any ideas?

2) I noticed in the product set up there is a cost per weight section, but it only seems to be a display, Is there are way that prestashop can actually calculate the cost based on weight? So say make the product £10 per KG, then if the combinations show the product weight is 2Kg it will automatically set the price to £20?

I do have all this as an automatic online form, just looking to see if it can be embedded in prestashop for automatic purchase

http://www.graphskill.com/Customdesigns/customgrippeduboltSUMS/customgrippeduboltSUMS.htm

Prestashop 1.6.0.9 

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Perhaps there is a way of making an accessory for the machinery set up charge but making it so that if a customer purchased the U-bolt the accessory gets automatically added to the shopping cart and cannot be deleted?

• 4 weeks later...

I think setting a product and adding all the combinations can help in your 2'nd problem. Perhaps your current script (http://www.graphskill.com/Customdesigns/customgrippeduboltSUMS/customgrippeduboltSUMS.htm) generate these combinations.

Other idea, is just redesign the same page and hook it into exisiting prestashop , then give a link from each product page as custom option. 

Prestashop needs a product entry (either as a product or as a combination) for it to do its job of stock management. price calculation etc. 

I think setting a product and adding all the combinations can help in your 2'nd problem. Perhaps your current script (http://www.graphskill.com/Customdesigns/customgrippeduboltSUMS/customgrippeduboltSUMS.htm) generate these combinations.

Other idea, is just redesign the same page and hook it into exisiting prestashop , then give a link from each product page as custom option. 

Prestashop needs a product entry (either as a product or as a combination) for it to do its job of stock management. price calculation etc. 

Thanks for your reply

Unfortunately there are just far too many combinations for that to work. We already manufacture about 800 combinations, but there are probably 10's of thousands

No worries, I will drop the idea I think

Cheers