With new forum we still have 'free' module section. Time to address this eyesore.

PrestaHeroes USA

Question

I've used a load of different cms's.

Not one has a section of free modules as exists here on PrestaShop.

I'd estimate that 95% of complete junk but who can really tell.

I suggest the following:

1. allow developers to submit free modules to addon's.  I spent a couple hours trying to get through the process only to find out not 'everyone can' set price to 0.00.

2. delete the free module section.

what do people do when they first install?  go looking for a module, preferably free, and chances of it working?  Not very good.

Burn the free modules section to the ground!  It's honestly embarrassing and hurts so many new PrestaShop managers and probably has resulted in a good number of people to abandon PrestaShop.

3 answers to this question

i don't agree.

many of merchants that have own store search for free modules, a lot of them shared here are very valuable.

in my opinion free stuff for prestashop like modules and themes that are available around internet are the reason why they choosing PrestaShop platform

• Like 1

i don't agree.

many of merchants that have own store search for free modules, a lot of them shared here are very valuable.

in my opinion free stuff for prestashop like modules and themes that are available around internet are the reason why they choosing PrestaShop platform

Hi Milos,

Yes there are  'some' decent ones, finding them is the issue.  Moderating them is impossible and the rules in that section are constantly being broken.

I am not saying free modules|themes is not a good idea I just feel that the current delivery method could and should be improved.

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your remarks. At this time, only industry partners can submit free modules on Addons.

I don't think that deleting the free modules section will get rid of the problem, and that's not the purpose of this forum either. We want people to share their work with everybody, and for the good reason that not all of the modules that are posted in this section contain bad code. There are many reasons why a module doesn't work on a boutique, especially when the shop is highly customized, so it's not just about the code ;)

We want this forum to be "open" to everyone, and give a chance for the people who want to share their work to do so. Unfortunately, we don't have the ressources to analyse all the code of the modules that are posted.

• Like 1