Where's the catch

mdj1

Question

11 answers to this question

Prestashop is fantastic and the cloud hosting makes it even better.

But it can't be free, can it? Prestashop has to make money somewhere to pay for it?

Yes!  OnDemand is dreamy!  So many struggle with hosting set up that are typically designed for blog style CMS.

regarding how it funds itself, my feeling is that would be through buying modules from addon's or hiring PrestaShop for private services.

This will prompt 3rd party developers like me to also move modules to addon's, as you will not be able to install non-official addon's into your OnDemand shop.

• Like 2

"Free? For real? PrestaShop Cloud and PrestaShop Download are entirely free and ready to support your ecommerce activities. PrestaShop earns money through modules-specific features-you can add to your store using our marketplace, PrestaShop Addons (it's like the Apple Store for iPhone or the Play Store for Android)." https://www.prestash...mmerce-software

Also have to also buy their themes only:

ADD A NEW THEME

To add a new theme, simply connect to your PrestaShop Addons account and all your purchases will be automatically imported.

There is also this, which for some reason is not as it was previously where you could just upload your custom theme:

CREATE A NEW THEME (ADVANCED)

Duplicate an existing theme and edit it; or create a new theme from scratch! Recommended for advanced users only.

I found the catch.

I have two Prestashop stores. Thought I would try out the third.

I went to install a new theme. Themes can only be purchased from Prestashop Add ons store. No other modules can be installed at all. I found a nice theme that I liked but as it isn't in the add-ons store, I can't use it.

So that's how they make their money.

Fair enough I suppose if you don't mind the limited choices. Nothing can be really free and we all have to earn a living!

<<<<  oooops I just noticed this thread was talking about the new cloud version...search brought me in at the bottom, should have checked. ooops. I'll leave this here in case it help somone with the download version (and also because I can't see how to delete it) >>>>>>>>

@Ralph. Not correct. You can install themes via the backoffice. Go to preferences>themes and then look for a button at the top right to install a them.

You can find free themes on the internet, but if you are a noob, steer clear of Leo themes and apollo themes as they have thier own framework and require more fiddling with not very good documentation (I'm not complaining they have some good themes). You could however try one of thier quickstart installtions if you hevn't already started your shop.

Yo can find some here:

http://prestadevelop.com/en/

Or prestabrain have a couple of good ones free (very similar to the default but not to hard to configure).

http://www.prestabrain.com/

Or this minimal one is quite nice:

https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/334322-free-prestashop-16-theme-minimal/

Hope that helps.

Edited by Andrew Watson (see edit history)

This would be a good option to use if they allowed custom themes purchased from other site. We would most likely purchase other modules like shipping carrier or gateways for example. You win some or lose some with the cost of hosting being free. I think they would have more take up if they allowed custom themes from external sources.

Maybe the allow themes and modules only from addons store because they validate them and this can guarantee that this themes and modules works as they require as an standard, and other markets has unknown coding standards, overrides and such and this may not be compatible with PS cloud.

I have noticed on the beta, that if you are not active on your store and you don't log-in like in 1-3 months they close it automatically.

This would be a good option to use if they allowed custom themes purchased from other site. We would most likely purchase other modules like shipping carrier or gateways for example. You win some or lose some with the cost of hosting being free. I think they would have more take up if they allowed custom themes from external sources.

in fact, you can use modules if you bought them in other marketplaces.

the only one thing: these modules must be validated by official addons team.

this mean that module that you bought in other than official marketplace must be also 

1) available on addons store

then if you will upload it via FTP to /modules/ directory - you will be able to install it.

in fact, you can use modules if you bought them in other marketplaces.

the only one thing: these modules must be validated by official addons team.

this mean that module that you bought in other than official marketplace must be also 

1) available on addons store

then if you will upload it via FTP to /modules/ directory - you will be able to install it.

That makes sence, but i have been told the opposite on the prestashop addons live chat.

my question was using a previously bought theme that is now available on the ofiicial addon store. the answer was No.