1.5.6.2 - Create new category times out, then causes existing categories to 404

Hi

I was wondering if someone can figure this out. We've been running a shop with 1.5.6.2 for a few months now and have noticed if we try to create a new category, it will usually time out. Sometimes it is successful, but most of the time it just fails. Upon trying to create one this evening, it not only timed out and failed but also misplaced one of the existing categories which is now resulting in a 404. It seems to have moved the existing category from Shop into it's own category. I can't see a way of being able to move it back. I've screen grabbed where it's moved it to because I'm not wording it very well.

There is obviously a problem with our Prestashop installation, but I don't even know where to begin looking. Does anyone have any advice?
Thanks

post-492611-0-58509000-1421000515_thumb.png

hello

error like you have usually is related to some limited resources. Prestashop trying to add category - but fails, due to the long waiting time host breaking up script and you see 404 error. Anyway, problem is not related to hosting, but to fact that it takes too much time to run this query.

there are many possibilities - usually it's related to some database problems.

have you got an access to php error log? if so, what you see in logs? some entries related to adding category? (compare time when you try to add category with time from error logs)

how you added categories before? you added them manually in back office? or imported with csv import tool?

Hi Vekia

Thanks for your reply. I have asked my host for the php error logs but there doesn't seem to be anything in there for yesterday, which was when we ran into the problem. Sometimes when we create a category, the back end still times out and shows a white page but the category gets created. Other times, it will time out and the category doesn't get created, which is usually when it creates a problem with previous categories.

We have always added the categories via the back office. At first Prestashop was very responsive, but over the last couple of months we have noticed certain things will take time, for example editing a product will take ages to respond when it's the first edit, but each edit that follows after that is quick to respond. That, coupled with this error, is pointing to something database related.

I tried turning on debugging to see what it comes back with when timing out, but I had nothing but a white page.

Not too sure what else I can try. Any suggestions would be excellent!
Thanks

Yes, that seems to have happened when it was updated. All of the categories used to be under Shop, as it should be. When he updated the description of the category, it timed out, and when he went back to edit it, he noticed he had two categories in root, Shop and Hard Sweets, and the original categories that still work were under Shop as per usual. For some strange reason, when he updated the category Hard Sweets, it seems to have jumped out of the Shop category and appeared in Root. He never used to see Shop as a category before, when he clicked categories it was a list of all the categories he had created, but now he has to click Shop in order to see the rest of them, as in the picture above.
I tried deleting the Hard Sweets category from the Top Menu and adding Hard Sweets that isn't under the Shop category for a quick fix, but that produces the same 404.

Sorry if this is confusing, trying to work out the best way to word it!