Shop backup - how do you do it and how often?

I hope this isn't a silly question but since I'm getting near to finishing my online store I was wondering how I protect my work if something goes wrong. I know you can do a database backup from the back office but the size of the file suggests it contains no product images etc?

How do you backup the full database including product images and other images uploaded through the back office so if something happens and my database dies I can safely restore my shop to it's former working state?

How is this done and what do others do (and how often) to make sure they can restore their shop in case of a server 'meltdown' or something?

On our hosting all the files are backed up to a separate online backup server every hour so both the store files and the mysql database can be recovered to within a maximum of 60 minutes from the "event". This could be set more frequently, but as with all things you need to balance the risks with the costs.

I would first make an assessment of the backup (and more importantly the recovery) facilities available to you via your server environment and from there decide how often you may have to take action yourself to protect your business.

I'm glad to see that you're looking ahead!

Paul

• 4 months later...