PS 1.6.0.11 - Performance and Possible Issue

mytheory.

Hi,

To those who are using the newest version of prestashop... under the "Advanced Parameters" > Performance tab in the "Smarty" section there appears to be new settings that have been added. They are titled "Caching Type" and "Clear Cache."

Does anybody know what these settings do? I've left them as is, but I can't figure out what they are for and I haven't been able to find any documentation on them.

As for the latter, I figured it just clears the cache or it doesn't depending on updates. However, the "Caching Type" option I am unsure of and would like to know what is the best option to choose.

We use a third-party caching module, will this have any effect? We would like to continue to use the module but want to be sure these settings are optimal.

As for the issue, I noticed that when the "Clear Cache" is set to "Never clear cache" the home page modules that display New Products or recently update products they do not update at all. On the new products page it shows the newly uploaded product, but not on the homepage in these modules (for example). We've set it back to clear cache when there is any change, and this has fixed the issue. Now I just want to be sure that this is the best option if we are constantly adding new products, or ideally do we want cache to never clear (which is causing front end issues). Btw, we are using a custom theme with custom New Product slider modules - maybe this could be an issue? I haven't tested this on the default theme FYI.

Any input is much appreciated!

Edited by mytheory. (see edit history)