Friendly URL breaks store.

Hi, I have set up a few categories and added a few products but then I decided to investigate the Mod rewrite feature and I love it but it breaks the store. Is it because I have already made the categories? It worked on a different shop where I did it before doing any catalog work. The .htaccess file is there in the right place.

I've had a similar experience.

I have been testing PS on a Windows server but decided I needed to use friendly urls.

As I have an account with another web host which is linux based, I installed the PS software there and switched to friendly urls and then regenerated the .htaccess file using the tool in PS. It worked a treat.

So I bought some Unix webspace from my existing Windows website host, thinking it would be easy to set up the site and then point the domain name at the new site. However, it has proved impossible so far to get the friendly urls working, there appears to some issue with PS seeing the .htaccess file. It is invisible to a normal ftp program and can only be seen by using the hosting company control panel, so maybe PS cannot see it.

Manually changing the .htaccess file has no effect.

I am struggling to get the tech support people to understand what the problem is and am close to giving in and switching to a new hosting company which is a problem as it is hassle and I don't know who to swap to for the best.

Yes I have used mod rewrite on the same server for other projects and they still work. what happens when I enable it is when I click on a product I get a page that says the product is no longer available. and none of my images work.

I had the same problem today when I turned on Friendly URL in a test shop, I looked at the .htaccess file and it was empty (a few prestashop lines were there, but nothing to actually rewrite the URLs).

I went to generate the .htaccess file again and it worked just fine.