"Add to cart" behaviour on product with attributes

Havoc87

I was playing around a bit with the "add to cart" button on my products and whether or not I would enable the button in my categories overview.

Allmost all (but not all) of my products have attributes/combinations. The default behaviour of "add to cart" in categories overview is to add the standard combination immediately to the cart, without prior warning that there are actually more combinations availble (unless you state this manually in the quick description), right? I don't find this process very logical, or at least not in my case. Ideally, I would actually like to pop up what appears when you click on "quick view" (so with obligation to choose between attributes before adding to cart) instead of immediately adding the default combination to the cart. Is this possible?

Thanks for any input!

• 3 weeks later...

hello

no answers here because feature just doesnt exist.

you asked:

Is this possible?

the answer is: no, it isn't :(

at the moment prestashop hasn't got feature like you mentioned.

the only one way to achieve it is a development process.

hello

no answers here because feature just doesnt exist.

you asked:

the answer is: no, it isn't :(

at the moment prestashop hasn't got feature like you mentioned.

the only one way to achieve it is a development process.

Aw, that's really too bad. I don't understand why this is the default behaviour of "add to cart" on products with attributes, it just doesn't make sense at all... Is there any other workaround? Can I disable add to cart button on all pages except product pages? (I mean for all products, not just products with attributes)

Edited by Havoc87 (see edit history)

You have (at least) 4 options:

(1) Allow AddToCart button on all products, including combination products. This is the default behavior that produces the problem you initially described.

(2) Disable the AddToCart button for combination products. This prevents the customer from placing the default combination in the cart without selecting a variant. Instead, it forces the customer to click through to the product page to select the specific variant. This can be done easily in the back office (Preferences->Products->Product Page: Display the "add to cart" button when a product has attributes=NO). NOTE: This actually affects the category pages, not the specific product page.

(3) CUSTOM DEVELOPMENT: Disable the AddToCart button for all products on category, manufacturer, etc. pages. I just finished doing this. It's not too painful if you're comfortable digging around in code.

(4) CUSTOM DEVELOPMENT: Re-direct the AddToCart button link to the Quick View link for combination products. I was just looking at this and, again, it doesn't look TOO scary but I haven't done it.

Edited by BarryH (see edit history)
  • Like 1

You have (at least) 4 options:

(1) Allow AddToCart button on all products, including combination products. This is the default behavior that produces the problem you initially described.

(2) Disable the AddToCart button for combination products. This prevents the customer from placing the default combination in the cart without selecting a variant. Instead, it forces the customer to click through to the product page to select the specific variant. This can be done easily in the back office (Preferences->Products->Product Page: Display the "add to cart" button when a product has attributes=NO). NOTE: This actually affects the category pages, not the specific product page.

(3) CUSTOM DEVELOPMENT: Disable the AddToCart button for all products on category, manufacturer, etc. pages. I just finished doing this. It's not too painful if you're comfortable digging around in code.

(4) CUSTOM DEVELOPMENT: Re-direct the AddToCart button link to the Quick View link for combination products. I was just looking at this and, again, it doesn't look TOO scary but I haven't done it.

Thanks for your help Barry. I am comfortable digging around code, but I'm no programmer, so your last two options are over my head if I have to write the changes myself. I did check product-list.tpl to see how the add to cart and quick view buttons were coded, but this is too complicated for me to change myself, unfortunately...

But good to know it's possible after all, with some rewriting. It's a little bit unfortunate that I will have to contact a developer for this then. I can't believe I'm the only one who thinks this behaviour is utterly unlogical and wants it changed?

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 7/4/2018 at 3:21 AM, gamer99 said:

It would be great if the "Add To Cart" button could be replaced with "Select Options" for product that have options, that would give the site a more consistent look.

the key is to require attribute selection on product list.  A good quality theme will support this...you can take a step farther and 'force' select of attriibute, there is module in addon's to do that.  when looking at themes the 'good' ones support display attribute product list....then it's simple matter from there.  If you do not have this built into your theme there are addon's to display attributes on product list.

ok....dirty tricks done cheap.....change 'add to cart' to 'quick buy (view) when it has more than on attribute.

it's about quality themes that are feature rich....else you reinvent the wheel