Google is indexing our Mobile site - Duplicate problems?

NNGNews

Hi, we've noticed that Google robot since a couple of weeks is indexing our mobile site, but we are afraid that this could penalize our site in Google SEO research, because the same page of each product now on Google has two page indexed but with the same item.

Is that true ? How could it be solved ?

We have PS 1.4.7 version

Thanks

http://www.kissene.com/en

I've found something in the Google Webmaster guide, hope this could help someone else.

It seems that the problem it could be solved writing this code :

For the Desktop page

<link rel="alternate" media="only screen and (max-width: 640px)"
      href="http://m.example.com/page-1" >

For the Mobile page

<link rel="canonical" href="http://www.example.com/page-1" >

but I'm trying to understand which file is for Prestashop, maybe the header.tpl ? :unsure:

Hello,

I use to review google web master tool periodically, it says you new things and alerts if you are doing something wrong.

other thing I learned it was to remove bad links that I did not know they were there. You can follow this here:

https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/2648487?hl=en

Thanks, this could help, but it's not exactly what we were searching for, we think we have to make changes in the code, please someone else could help ?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have the same problem, google is indexing my mobile site and full site.

I have searched how to resolve this, but cant find anything.

If i disallow ?ps_mobile_site=1 and ?ps_full_site=1 in robots txt will that work form me and will it cause any trouble for my mobile rankings?

If you do your markup correctly, it shouldn't be a problem. Google should be able to tell the difference between subdomains used to host mobile or different language versions of your site. If you do your markup correctly, per Google's own guidelines!

This might be helpful:

https://developers.google.com/webmasters/mobile-sites/mobile-seo/configurations/separate-urls

That being said, I'd drop the m subdomain altogether. Your site is already responsive and therefore (maybe with a little tweaking) is already capable of serving the content just fine from the root domain, to the same devices being served through the m subdomain.

And looking ahead, responsive design is obviously the best and most 'safe' choice. Google already recommend using responsive design to serve content on mobile devices and from that, it's only a small leap to them actively 'punishing' sites using subdomains for that purpose.

There's actually an update to Google's algorithm coming up later this month that'll put more emphasis on 'mobile friendliness'. So my advice, drop the subdomain and set your site up to serve the content responsively from your root domain to all devices and screens. And do it before the update hits :)

Thanks for the reply!

I dont have m subdomain and I will check this markup thing.

When i make a search sometimes google shows results from my desktop version and mobile theme /?ps_mobile_site=1

This is why i was worried about duplicate content. In webmaster tools it also shows me duplicated meta descriptions on desktop and mobile site

Example:

/galaxy-grand-2/2016--s-view-samsung-galaxy-grand-2-g7102-g7105.html
/galaxy-grand-2/2016--s-view-samsung-galaxy-grand-2-g7102-g7105.html?ps_mobile_site=1

Right now I disallowed in robots this

User-agent: * 

Disallow: ps_mobile_site=1
Disallow: *ps_mobile_site=1
Disallow: /?ps_mobile_site=1
Disallow: /*ps_mobile_site=1
Disallow: */?ps_mobile_site=1
Disallow: /*/ps_mobile_site=1
Disallow: /*/*ps_mobile_site=1
Disallow: ps_full_site=1
Disallow: *ps_full_site=1
Disallow: /?ps_full_site=1
Disallow: /*ps_full_site=1
Disallow: */?ps_full_site=1
Disallow: /*/ps_full_site=1
Disallow: /*/*ps_full_site=1
Disallow: /*?mobile_theme_ok
Disallow: /*?no_mobile_theme

I dont know if that is good or bad, should i keep them disallowed and will that effect my rankings?

Thank you

Edited by kingjc (see edit history)

Have you tried disabling the mobile theme through Settings > Themes?

It's better to remove the option completely from the table, than disallowing Google access to parts of your site or stuff that Google might think is part of your site.

Disallowing might work, but you run the risk of raising red flags at Google. They even want access to your CSS files for their crawler now. So disallowing their crawler access to a whole subdomain might not go down very well over at Mountain View :)

I just tried and disabled the mobile theme, after that i run google mobile friendly checker and it says that the site is not mobile friendly.

So disabling is not a good option.

Well i guess ill just have to give the bots access and hope that it wont think that is duplicate content

I'd still recommend disabling the mobile theme, though.

Disable it > run it through the 'mobile friendly checker' > make the improvements suggested by the 'mobile friendly checker'.

It might take some work to get it running like Google prefers it to. But in the long run, it'll be well worth it.

Serving mobile content through subdomains is a practice from a time before media queries came around. Today, pretty much every browser supports media queries and as such, media queries is the practice Google recommend. I wouldn't dare face the coming update to Google's algorithm with a mobile site on a subdomain, that's for sure.

Also, my guess is it wouldn't take you long to have your site running smoothly and with a +85 score in the 'mobile friendly checker'. You'd probably make a 20 point jump, just by compressing your CSS, js and images.

Just realized you're kingjc and not NNGNews.... So I don't know if your site is responsive. Probably is, though. Anyway, I'd still see if it's possible to drop the mobile site thing and serve the content responsively. The 'mobile friendly checker' and 'pagespeed insights' are pretty powerfull tools that goes a long way in telling you pretty much exactly what to do, in order to improve your score and most sites can be improved to +85 in practically no time.

• Like 1