• 2 months later...

In the following topic I'll list all of prestashop performance tips I've known so far, and will add any tip that the prestashop community may suggest.

Tip 1.- Activate CCC for CSS and JS in Advanced Parameters - Performance.

Tip 2.- Enable Prestashop's Smarty Cache in Advanced Parameters - Performance.

Tip 3.- Uninstall any unused module and, if you are using Google Analytics, uninstall also every prestashop stat module.

Tip 4.- Adjust image sizes according to your theme's parameters.

Tip 5.- Optimize image size by compressing them by using either a free service such as Smush-it or with a paid module such as Smush Optimize Image from PresTeamShop.

Tip 6.- Activate a cache system on your server.

Tip 7.- Use a module for HTML or MySQL cache. I personally use Joe Martin's Page Cache Module, but another great cache module is Xtendify's Express Cache.

Tip 8.- Use either a great shared hosting service for Prestashop such as CloudWays, a VPS Server or a dedicated one depending on your customization and performance needs.

Tip 9.- Use CSS Sprites for your static background images.

Tip 10.- Move JavaScript files to the bottom by using El Patron's modules JavaPro for Front Office and BoZoom for Back Office.

Tip 11.- Clear unused database tabs and entries, you can use RSI's Presta Speed module to achieve this.

Tip 12.- Configure ETags according to your needs. You can disable them by adding to your .htaccess file "FileETag None Header unset ETag".

Tip 13.- Activate GZip compression for Prestashop following these steps.

Tip 14.- Minify all of your CSS and JS files if you won't edit them anymore (Keep a copy of these before doing it).

It would be best if you tell us how to do many of thes tips on Prestashop for peoples of less knowledge of PHP like me.

• Like 1

Wonderful list.

The only thing I can think of to add here is to lazy-load images for stores with lots of images.  There is a free module for prestashop, but I think it's no longer actively supported.  Works with my v1.6.09 See:

https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/273769-modulo-lazyload-ps-14-ps-15/

Just to throw them in, you can check your page for speed issues at both gtmetrix.com and tools.pingdom.com

And both Gimp, basically the free open source version of Photo Shop, and IrfanView allow you to fine tune image compression.

And a double-thumbs up on El Patron's modules for speed.

• Like 2

Just using the prestashop theme performance settings alone helps. I used tools.pingdom.com to test after turning on every switch. Here are the results.

Initial Load Time: 8.9 seconds
Smarty Cache: 5.09 seconds
Smart Cache for CSS: 4.58 seconds
Smart cache for JavaScript: 7.29 seconds
Minify HTML: 3.78 seconds
Compress inline JavaScript in HTML: 4.17 seconds, 4.33 on the second test

so, turning them all on will effectively cut your load time in half.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm currently testing lazyload with the pagecache module, but I'm having some issues with it.

Besides that, I finally hit the >2sec. page loading with Prestashop 1.6.0.14, measuring the performance with pingdom tools:

post-270776-0-27182800-1426058076_thumb.jpg

This is a huge performance gain, and the performance I want for prestashop 1.6.

Once the developer gives me some advices, I'll update this performance tips compilation thread.

well, thanks to pagecache's developer now lazyload it's working with cache, and it's also loaded dynamically!

1.83 seconds with Prestashop 1.6.0.14 with pagecache activated. Definitely the best cache module for prestahop!

post-270776-0-77484700-1426226927_thumb.jpg

Now I can add lazyload to the recommendations in the first post.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think you could at one more thing to your list, that will improve the performance significant. Moving the entire webshop from Apache over to LiteSpeed. I ran my site on Apache with different cache systems installed, including the different cache-options in PS. But it was never nearly as responsive as it is now with LiteSpeed. Many webhosting providers give options to have it hosted on a LiteSpeed, but i think many customers is worried about problem with this, they dont know what it is or not enough proven data.

Unfortunately i do not have any data from before and after as i did the transfer, but from "with naked eyes", i did noticed clearly improvement. An example of that would be when click on a link the Apache server would "think think" before something happening. While on LiteSpeed it just sent me to the next page instantanously. My webhoster provide LiteSpeed for free, so i never regret my transition.

ref: http://blog.litespeedtech.com/2013/11/12/new-benchmarks-litespeed-vs-apache-vs-nginx-for-static-content/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently testing lazyload with the pagecache module, but I'm having some issues with it.

Besides that, I finally hit the >2sec. page loading with Prestashop 1.6.0.14, measuring the performance with pingdom tools:

attachicon.gifpingdom-MYPC-1.972.jpg

This is a huge performance gain, and the performance I want for prestashop 1.6.

Once the developer gives me some advices, I'll update this performance tips compilation thread.

Can't figure out where to put the code that is displayed in the module...

Any tips

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Hi,

when I browse my site often many pages crashes.

how can I solve this problem? Also it happens to you?

I have two stores (one still in development)

one version 1.6.1.3 and 1.6.0.9 other and both have this problem

anyone can help me?

Hi,
when I browse my site often many pages crashes.
anyone can help me?

Hi, locen. What's your website's url?

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

when I on browse my website many pages crashes.

anyone can help me?

this is my website: http://www.martemodena.com/shop/

This module have also others bug like it don't redirect to correct currency/country with default Prestashop browser detection, updating/adding product you need to clean related category cache manually, logo for mobile/desktop are not correctly managed from the module.

I would be happy to use it if this bug was fixed.

Which version of Express Cache are you using?

• 7 months later...

The set up we are using currently comes from Liquid Web. It is a Plesk dedicated server with PHP 7, nginx, http/2, and MariaDB 10.1 It is blazingly fast with the PHP 7 and the http/2. MariaDB also caches very well as well, so the database results are loaded pretty quick. 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

Many thanks for this thread. My question may be  stupid, but as a beginner I wonder : How do I reduce (minimize) the javascript in Prestashop ? Because after testing my web site (www.meteorites-et-bijoux.com) with PageSpeed Insights (result : (59 /100), the main problems were the images's sizes (but I compressed them with photoshop), and the JavaScript ressources sizes.

But I have no clue how to deal with that ! I've set all the recommandations in "Performance" (Enable Smart Cache and so on), but I wonder If I can do anything more ?...

Many thanks.

Best Regards,

Justine

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Many thanks for this thread. My question may be  stupid, but as a beginner I wonder : How do I reduce (minimize) the javascript in Prestashop ? Because after testing my web site (www.meteorites-et-bijoux.com) with PageSpeed Insights (result : (59 /100), the main problems were the images's sizes (but I compressed them with photoshop), and the JavaScript ressources sizes.

But I have no clue how to deal with that ! I've set all the recommandations in "Performance" (Enable Smart Cache and so on), but I wonder If I can do anything more ?...

Many thanks.

Best Regards,

Justine

You have quite some images, Justine. Try setting them as background images for your elements using CSS, and then combining them into a sprite.

This will reduce the total number of requests done to your website and, hopefully, the total images' size.

• 4 months later...