New cust account creation kicks user to site root

Hey Guys,

When the customer creates his new account for shopping, after he hits 'create account' it kicks him to the site's root but prestashop isn't installed in the site's root...how can I change where the customer goes after he creates his account?

Dave

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys,

I never did find a fix for this...what I was doing was working on a local copy of Prestashop under XAMPP on Windows and migrating it to a Linux server, I think I didn't get the configured directorys to match...what I ended up doing was installing a fresh copy on the Linux then uploaded the database only from my Windows/XAMPP. I was doing so many tweaks and hacks to get the thing working that I can't be sure.

It's working now, anyway :)

Dave

Thanks for the quick reply! I tried backing up the DB and reupping the files (I made a few minor changes to the theme, but that's it), but still the problem persists.

For those that may not have seen this issue before, when a customer fills in the information on the "Create your account" page and hits "Register" the cart takes you right to the root of the website, and my cart is installed under the subdirectory "shop." Obviously this is a huge problem.

In the admin screen under general preferences, the PS director is /shop/ which I think it should be. What else should I check?

I cannot discover the fix for this and I'm getting frustrated. I am hoping to have this website go live at the end of the week.

Thanks so much for any help you can offer!

Actually, re-uploading an installation that you already did on a local webserver won't fix it. For some reason, during Prestashop install, something gets hard-compiled into it...I think it has something to do with that Smarty system it uses. You have to upload a fresh set of files to your Linux, then run the install on the Linux, then upload your local database to the remote....that's what I did, anyway.

Well, I gave that a shot too. I reinstalled a fresh copy without any local webservers involved, and even without the database import, the user gets kicked to root when they submit the registration form. I'm stumped. I'm wondering if I should get the next earlier version of PS and see if that works for me....

I'm using Prestashop 1.2.5.0 if that helps. Two other things that caused me a lot of grief:

1. There's a UPS shipping module out there...it might work in the country of the guy who wrote it but it doesn't work in mine...caused all kinds of weirdness...I wound up hand-coding shipping rates into cart.php

2. The PayPal API module works way better than the plain one

Question: did you totally delete all the files off your remote server before uploading the fresh copy and doing the install?...that's what I did.

No, but I installed the fresh version of PS into a new subfolder. Would that work just as well as deleting the old files?

And I am using 1.2.5.0 as well. I looked for 2.4 (as an alternative remedy to try) but couldn't find a copy of it.

This is kind of a dumb question, but you're sure you're on the new install and not on the old install when you test to see if the bug is still there?...didn't follow an old shortcut/favourite/bookmark?...maybe clear your browser cache as well?

I would still nuke everything and upload fresh files and run the install on the remote, so there could be no doubt.

Yeah, never hurts to check if it's plugged in first :) I mention because it happened to me...moved a site around, clicked on my shortcut, no worky, 'hey, why is this not working'...after you've been pounding away at it for 10 hours, you just stop seeing it and just try to endure it, ya know?

Try the total nuke and re-install on the server...I think it'll work.

Dave

AAAAARRRGH!

Ok, so I did a total nuke (removed all traces of PS from my server) and reinstalled it fresh with no modifications. I didn't even update the database yet - it is totally "out of the box."

Yet... the problem persists. I added an item and attempted to check out - and it kicked me to the root of my website just like before.

I'm at wits end here... What else should I try?

Whatever modules are installed by default when you do the full install of the cart. Do you think it's a module issue? What modules are called when the customer registers?

I'm currently installing PS version 1.2 in the hopes that it will work. *grasping at straws*

Also, (and this is a noob question) when you head to checkout and register, what type of action is taking place? Javascript? PHP? I'm wondering if my web host is to blame somehow, with a funky version of PHP or something... however in the installation of the cart, I received all green checkmarks for the server software versions...

-Jake

Ok, finally some positive news. I installed a fresh copy of PS version 1.2 after deleting 1.2.5 and nuking the DB. For the first time ever, I can move past the registration screen to the delivery address screen.

So the problem must lie somewhere in the change between 1.2 and the current 1.2.5. Hmmm...

Well, I just installed a totally fresh copy with a totally fresh database of version 1.2.5 on a Linux server, straight out of the box with no modules configured, using their dummy data and it works...hmmm. I'm even getting notification emails now {Welcome, blah blah).

What about themes?...did you design a theme for it or are you using the stock one that comes with it?

Ok, I reinstalled 1.2.5 just like I did with 1.2, and it is still having problems. I think whatever the issue is, it lies with the difference between 1.2 and 1.2.5.

Nope... no themes. I'm using everything stock at this point. This is such a mystery. I'm putting 1.2 back on for the time being. At least that worked for me...

Do you know where I can get my paws on a copy of PS cart 1.2.4? Or some other version higher than 1.2 and lower than the current?

I'm still suspicious it has something to do with my web host provider, since I'm using stock installation and not many other people have this problem...

I have been in a couple of situations that I had to get my hosting provider to set things...usually to do with permissions and this thing called 'mod_security'. Maybe you could set it up so that it does the error and get them to look at it?...maybe some kind of error message shows up in their logs or something?

Just for laughs, have you tried running an FTP proggy and doing a 'chmod 755' ?...not sure if 755 is the desirable setting...777 is everything for everybody and sometimes that makes it worse. There is a little blurb at the beginning of the Prestashop install about setting permissions.

I did a quick look for 1.2.4...coouldn't find it...I didn't see any 'older versions' section...must be something like that someplace.

I might have to go to the hosting provider and see if they can help. But I can't just simply say "this shopping cart doesn't work" because they will bounce be off and say talk to the cart people.

All the folders I checked out were 755. I think the documentation says 777, but they usually are interchangeable for the most part, right? The installation program liked the 755 setting - I changed one folder to something other than 755 and it caught it and demanded I change it before moving on in the installation.

I'm going to see if I can upgrade 1.2 to the current, and if that will break it again... (fingers crossed)

Yeah, wave that dead chicken and hope for some voodoo magic :)

I think 755 is the proper permissions for the most of it. Agreed, if your hosting provider doesn't have Prestashop as part of his offerings, he'll send you elsewhere. They can be remarkably helpful sometimes though and maybe there's someone there that's already walked these steps...doesn't hurt to ask, eh?

lol...I used up my last dead chicken hours ago. I'm moving on to cows and horses.

I'll talk to my web host provider and see if they can shed light - otherwise I'm going to press onwards with version 1.2 which is working (fingers crossed).

Thanks again for the help - If I ever find the cause of the problem, I'll post it here.