Re-installing PS and keeping old database...

im am basicly trying to keep my entire ps database and reinstall any new versions of ps or the svn as they come out

if i download newest ps, ps svn and replace files on server, keep my_current_database, and do fresh install ps with same settings but change table name preffix to, say, ps_2_ (that way i have the first ps_ and also ps_2_) and install.. then login to back and change the table prefix to ps_( so that it matches my_current_database, will that be okay?

i mean are there changes to database structure at all ? often ? rare?

You can check for database changes by looking at the install/sql/upgrade directory. Each file contains the database changes between the version in the filename and the previous version. If you check the latest upgrade file on SVN here, you will notice that there are many changes in the database to the yet-to-be-released v1.3.0.1. If you try to upgrade your Prestashop v1.2.5 to the SVN version of Prestashop, you must execute this file on your database, otherwise SQL errors will occur, since the database will be in the wrong format.

You can simply go to phpMyAdmin, click the SQL button, then paste the contents of the file as the query, then click GO. That should upgrade your Prestashop v1.2.5 to the SVN version. In the future, you'll have to see what has changed in the file and make only those database changes.

You could execute each SQL query one by one from oldest to newest, or I think you could just paste them one after the other into a single query and then execute it. For example, if you are upgrading from v1.1.0.5 to v1.3.0.1, then would execute the query inside 1.2.0.1.sql, then 1.2.0.2.sql, ..., then 1.2.5.0.sql, and finally 1.3.0.1.sql. Make a note if any SQL errors occur during the upgrade and manually apply the changes. Don't just ignore them and hope for the best. Then strange things could happen with your install in the future.