Bug in the Bash Shell

Hello everyone

Can some one explain in very simple terms what is " bash in the bug shell"

It appears that the clever programmers are expecting chaos to occur on the WWW but what does it mean for we poor end users,

I assume this is related to your server and you host should take adequate steps to protect you but if someone could explain why and if we should be worried

These types of things are so high above my learning experience

Paul

Bash is a shell and stands for "Bourne Again Shell".  In simple terms, it allows users to execute commands on the server. 

If you are familiar with windows, and especially DOS, think of it like the windows command prompt.

There has been a severe issue identified and patched and you should ensure that you are using the latest Bash software version.  If you don't know what this means, then you should contact your hosting provider and ensure they have patched this.  Ask them to provide you with proof.

The specifics can be found here

https://access.redhat.com/articles/1200223

If you have access to your servers console via SSH, you can test this yourself.  Read the article above for more information.

Hello bellini

Thank you for the information.

As you rightly assume I am totally clueless about this sort of thing

I have not had any notification from my server which is why I asked the question on the forum, my host always tells me if their is any problems about viruses etc, they are very good in passing on information and the fixes they have put in place.

Anyway, I will ask the question as to what they are doing.

Paul