• Hostgator
    • Linode
    • Google Cloud Platform‎
    • Microsoft azure
    • eukhost
    • liquidweb
    • PrestaShop Cloud
    • Cloudways

We are seeing a small increase in traffic, nothing serious. But seeing as I want to enable Layered Navigation with a large amount of products, I would hate to see the website taking a noticeable hit in page load time. So, I'm moving to a bigger VPS in order to try some resource-hungry optimizations like PHP cache, MySQL cache, maybe PageSpeed module for nginx etc. In the end, I hope I end up with a faster website, even with Layered Navigation on!

Edited by parsifal (see edit history)

godaddy vps...it's old (like me)...but pretty fast (like me on coffee)...and I'm part Arizonan, an godaddy from Arizona...so there you go..my confession

I'd like to move, but it's sort of a uninteresting...and it's 'very' reliable.

but when i do, it will be to the cloud......I tested/broke a couple trial clouds..jajajaja  but I break everything that is not well tested.

Site5 -- shared hosting. Excellent hosting company. I move to them after issues with GoDaddy. I wanted to get VPS but they talked me into trying the shared and it has been more than adequate. 

About half the hosting companies in listed in the poll are companies I would never consider. I would also never consider GoDaddy but years ago when I got my first hosting account I didn't know any better.

Site5 -- shared hosting. Excellent hosting company. I move to them after issues with GoDaddy. I wanted to get VPS but they talked me into trying the shared and it has been more than adequate. 

About half the hosting companies in listed in the poll are companies I would never consider. I would also never consider GoDaddy but years ago when I got my first hosting account I didn't know any better.

jajaja...thanks for sharing.  It's turned into a sport beating on GoDaddy...but we do have them to thank for allowing unlimited domains with unlimited db's on shared...can I get a holy cow  Arizona style?

anyone remember when we could only host one domain on one hosting account?  I do.   They made domain names a commodity...

that being said, anyone that thinks a hosting account you pay maybe 80 bucks a year with unlimited domains/databases can then run heavy cms, well..they get their undwear twisted and find 'better environment' while kicking the old hosting...should also reflect 'now' that maybe they did not know what they were really doing. :)  

for share hosting make sure of two things 1) mod expires 2) mod deflate...then you got a chance...

happy day, el

My issues with GoDaddy were more with the support. The people who you have contact with don't know anything and it was really frustrating. If you have root and can just manage your own server then not an issue but with shared hosting you are at their mercy and most of the time they had no idea what I was saying. That is actually what I like most about my current host -- when I ask a question the person I am speaking understands the question.

Although a handful of hosting companies do offer great service in the $11-15/month range agree that it is ridiculous to expect top performance for that price and you have to laugh when people paying <$8/month complain about performance. I had 3 hosting accounts at GoDaddy and no real complaints on two but the one I was using for PrestaShop had an oversell issue -- site would work fine in non-business hours but started to slow down mid-morning. I would have been happy to upgrade to VPS and stay with GoDaddy even though for my low traffic store shared hosting is sufficient but the terrible way they handled it turned me from a previous GoDaddy defender to one of the people who bash them.  

Basically at first GoDaddy claimed it was a bad neighbour situation which they would fix but that it would take an indeterminate amount of time (days not hours) -- a fairly ridiculous policy since if one user is abusing resources they should deal with it instantly. It did get better a few days after that but then I noticed sales dropped off again. We were so busy with B&M sales that I didn't look into it at the time. When I did I found the slow site issue was back only much worse - basically unusable. Called support four times over a week only to have support claim the issue was with the code -- they stuck with that explanation despite the fact that the site worked fine in the middle of the night and was only slow from around 11am to 3pm. That was what really turned me off from using them. If they had just admitted fault I would have upgraded to VPS with them -- when I left GoDaddy I had decided to get VPS or dedicated but Site5 convinced me I'd be fine with shared so I gave it a try and it has been fine. That was a good start because it is rare that a company downsells someone -- I was looking to spend $80-150/month and could have been talked into going higher but they actually pushed the $15 plan as being what best suited my needs.

To be fair I still have one of the three GoDaddy hosting accounts and it works great -- never had any speed issues or anything. They also claim to have made some changes after I moved my other accounts so that the problem I had shouldn't happen again so if true that is good. The support though is still the same and it is just too frustrating. Luckily I never need anything for the remaining account so have no contact with support.

Can you share some more the available resources in Site5? I couldnt find any info in their site.

Are you on cloud plans or just shared hosting? Site name?

Regards,

C

Can you share some more the available resources in Site5? I couldnt find any info in their site.

Are you on cloud plans or just shared hosting? Site name?

Regards,

C

I am currently on shared hosting. I will be upgrading to something where I can have root in the new year as I will hopefully have some new features finished that I will be adding to my store that I don't believe would be allowed to run in a shared hosting environment. 

I use liquid web to host a couple of clients. They are a bigger company and their prices are pretty expensive in my opinion (I pay around $275 a month for a dedicated server) but they have great service and that is my main concern. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I moved from Arvixe to inmotion hosting but am starting to doubt my choices.... at first their contract seems fine but there are a number of things that don't make sense to me. I.e. accessing webmail and receiving 'site not trusted' messages because they are using a self signed certificate. I never had that with any hosting company in 15 years of hosting.

Just paid another $25 for an ssl certificate installation. Not the world but it seems to add up. When it comes to security of your site you seem to be more on your own as well. considering that prestashop recommended them as a hosting company to us I am disappointed.

Hi,

i have a prestashop website in a shared hosting. Im thinking of moving it to a VPS server. I have two options:

VPS 1: 4 cores, 1,5GB RAM 

VPS 2: 8 cores, 4GB RAM

Do you think with the first option will my prestashop run without problems or its better to go for the second one?

Thank you very much!

Hi, I just did a spreadsheet with different hosting companies in order to try to compare them. I ended up choosing one with:

VPS $$ 34.99 CPU cores 2 cpu rate 4000 Mhz server memory RAM 1.5 GB burtstable RAM 2 GB   Dual Hexa Core Xeon Servers storage 40GB Bandwidth 10,000 GB root access yes
cPanel Control Panel
$12.95     Managed support with backup $50/month server hardening yes

The managed support with backup ended up convincing me. Hope this helps.

Agree with THaus, I use Arvixe which was recommended by PS. Before there upgrade to new servers the resources and access to php.INI and shell was great to adjust to my needs but came at the expense of decent tech support. Since the server upgrades they seem to be throttle back on all resources not to mention the upgrade caused a lot of problems with my site, not good position to be in when the tech support is the worst of the 5 different hosts I've tried. Now looking else where for host.

I'm currently using DigitalOcean through CloudWays, and so far is the best shared hosting for prestashop that I've tested. I tried so many others that, well... I prefer to not even mention them :S.

I use Digital Ocean myself, but directly. Anyway its pretty shocking that Linode is not in the poll list.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hi,

I have hosted prestashop version 1.5 and 1.6 on hostgator shared web hosting since last 6 to 12 months without any problem.

Easy installation and maintenance on hostgator.

PrestaShop Tutorials Videos [How to do Tasks]

https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/907438-prestashop-tutorials-videos-how-to-do-tasks/

Edited by Zohaib-fk
Post Updated (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

My store is hosted by 1and1. I read a lot of complaints about them, but I've been with them for several - and I do mean several, years and have had nothing but the best experiences. The price is great and so is support. They are available 24/7 and go beyond the scope of support in ways most other hosting companies wouldn't even begin to. I love 1and1 and Prestashop and am glad I can use them both together. 

Originally on Ipage, tried Hostgator nothing but problems seems like where they put us had all the IP's blacklisted so no mail was able to be sent from Prestashop store.

Now on A2 so far everything is good, good support, support for PHP soap (not ipage) cron jobs (not ipage) and industry standard control panel and mysql(not ipage).

http://team-shepherdusa.com

http://nuggetsranchraceway.com

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Rescinding my previous endorsement of Site5. They used to be great but things have been getting worse for a few months and now the company just sucks -- Googled and found out EIG acquired them. With the change of ownership the service is now terrible.

In the process of switching to Digital Ocean. 

• Like 1