Problem with prestashop 1.6.0.9 horizontal menu

Two things that came to my mind:

1) Go to Catalog->Categories
a) Edit the main category (the drop down on left side: Edit)
b.)At the top it has Display: Yes/No, confirm this is set to yes
c) Go back to Catalog->Categories, left-click on the main category, you will now see sub-categories for this one.
d) Edit the sub-category and make sure it also is Display: Yes.

2) Check accessibility in the Top-horizontal menu
a) Go to Modules->Modules
b.) Search for "top horizontal menu"
c) click "Configure"
d) from the Available Items box, go down to Categories
e) add your categories from "available items" and over to left side.

If i have misunderstood you in someway, it would really help if you take a screenshot from the section in BO that you do not see (a picture is worth 1000 words) :-)

Edited by frank_jarle (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hello, I've the same problem.

When I create a new category in the root, that category I can't see in the horizontal menu in the FO.

To reach that, I must go to the module "horizontal menu" and then choose that category and put it on the selected items, then I already can see in the FO

However, if I create a new category not in the root, but in another category created before, then that new category indeed appers in the horizontal menu in the FO 

I put some pictures to show to you

Please, someone does know why it happend?

My web page is www.mamamifera.com

new-category-1a.png

new-category-1b.png

new-category-1c.pngnew-category-1-FO.png

Thanks for providing pictures XanaDigital, this is correct behavior of the system.
When you create a new category under "root" or "home" category this will not show up.

However, if you create a new category under "Embarazo Y Premamá" it will shows up in the horizontal menu. Why? Because when you place a category in the Horizontal menu any subsequent category will be automatically added.

So the solution is to follow my description in the previous post i did :)

Two things that came to my mind:

a) Edit the main category (the drop down on left side: Edit)

c) Go back to Catalog->Categories, left-click on the main category, you will now see sub-categories for this one.

THAT FIRST OPTION I HAVEN'T SEEN HOW TO DO THAT, please send me a picture to help to understand it

I send again two captures, in the "...2a.jpg" you can see that in INICIO category (the categories parent) appears the "test one" category, but not in the horizontal menu  :unsure: 

2) Check accessibility in the Top-horizontal menu

a) Go to Modules->Modules

b.) Search for "top horizontal menu"

c) click "Configure"

d) from the Available Items box, go down to Categories

e) add your categories from "available items" and over to left side.

THAT SECOND OPTION IS WHAT I USED TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM

but I think it's not the good way to tell my client that when she create a new root category she must do that  :(  :o 

If i have misunderstood you in someway, it would really help if you take a screenshot from the section in BO that you do not see (a picture is worth 1000 words) :-)

Thanks a lot for your answers, I hope you continuous helping me  :)

new%20category%202%20a.png

new%20category%202%20b.png

I understand its difficult to explain it to your client, but its many ways to solve this "problem" this is just one of them.

You could for example create a completely new "main" category, this will be your new "Home" category and anything you put inside here will be displayed on the menu, *BUT* i dont think it will be convenient, because you will ending up with one single button on the menu and then this will contain every single sub-category in the menu. In my (personal) opinion, its better to have sub categories (level 2) as the buttons in the menu (hmmm, oh this sounds really good in my head, but probably not so easy to understand the text written here).

I see i explain a bit badly on the first scenario; so let me modify it slightly (left->right) :)

2014-09-20_2145.png
a) Edit the main category (the drop down on Right side: Edit)

2014-09-20_2147.png

2014-09-20_2148.png

2014-09-20_2149.png

2014-09-20_2151.png

2014-09-20_2152.png

I hope this explained a little bit where i clicked.

But as i mention already, this is not the only solution, this is only how i do it on my site.

I think its very important to plan the categories and sub-categories and how you want them, but also how you like to build up the horizontal menu.

In my system i have done the following:

1) The default root "Home" is unchanged
2) In the Category there is three categories Women, Gaming Mouse and Desktop Mouse
3) Withing the Gaming Mouse and Desktop Mouse i have created sub-categories

PS: Within Gaming Mouse and Desktop Mouse i can create sub-sequence categories and they will appear in the menu on the fly.

4) In the Horizontal menu i have just added the Category Women, Gaming Mouse and Desktop Mouse (see picture below)

So in short this means, that any sub-categories i create inside Women, Gaming Mouse or Desktop Mouse, will be inside the menu (unless i rememeber completely wrong...I am a bit drunken now so memory is a bit short circuit  B)  )

2014-09-20_2203.png

The Result is this:

2014-09-20_2201.png

I look at your two pictures again, one from the menu and one from the BO->Categories.

Maybe i misunderstood something, did you intend to have everything shown up under the button "Inicio" or do you want to have separate buttons for each main category such as "Peques"  "mamás" "Catalogo de Telas".......  ?

I look at your two pictures again, one from the menu and one from the BO->Categories.

Maybe i misunderstood something, did you intend to have everything shown up under the button "Inicio" or do you want to have separate buttons for each main category such as "Peques"  "mamás" "Catalogo de Telas".......  ?

no, the button inicio I put it, because here you could see all the created categories, and that some category (as test one), but that category doesn't appears in the main category as "peques"...

I understand its difficult to explain it to your client, but its many ways to solve this "problem" this is just one of them.

You could for example create a completely new "main" category, this will be your new "Home" category and anything you put inside here will be displayed on the menu, *BUT* i dont think it will be convenient, because you will ending up with one single button on the menu and then this will contain every single sub-category in the menu. In my (personal) opinion, its better to have sub categories (level 2) as the buttons in the menu (hmmm, oh this sounds really good in my head, but probably not so easy to understand the text written here).

I see i explain a bit badly on the first scenario; so let me modify it slightly (left->right) :)

2014-09-20_2145.png

2014-09-20_2147.png

2014-09-20_2148.png

2014-09-20_2149.png

2014-09-20_2151.png

2014-09-20_2152.png

But as i mention already, this is not the only solution, this is only how i do it on my site.

I think its very important to plan the categories and sub-categories and how you want them, but also how you like to build up the horizontal menu.

2) In the Category there is three categories Women, Gaming Mouse and Desktop Mouse

PS: Within Gaming Mouse and Desktop Mouse i can create sub-sequence categories and they will appear in the menu on the fly.

4) In the Horizontal menu i have just added the Category Women, Gaming Mouse and Desktop Mouse (see picture below)

So in short this means, that any sub-categories i create inside Women, Gaming Mouse or Desktop Mouse, will be inside the menu (unless i rememeber completely wrong...I am a bit drunken now so memory is a bit short circuit  B)  )

2014-09-20_2203.png

The Result is this:

2014-09-20_2201.png

ok, all you explain here is what I have done, so I understand that is no other way to do... then I'll explain to my client

thanks a lot  :D  and continue enjoying the weekend  :P

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

2014-09-20_2145.png

2014-09-20_2147.png

2014-09-20_2148.png

2014-09-20_2149.png

2014-09-20_2151.png

2014-09-20_2152.png

2014-09-20_2203.png

The Result is this:

2014-09-20_2201.png

Hi everybody,

Is there any way I can use a set of categories-sub-categories in the "Horizontal Top Menu" but avoid that categories-subcategories to be shown in Bottom panel. I want the categories used in the "Horizontal Top Menu" not to appear in the places the "normal" categories (the other categories) appears.

Thank you in advance

Edited by joparsa (see edit history)

Hi,

When you hover over my Categories link in the Horizontal Top Menu on any of my Multi-Site stores (www.advantagelife.net), no menu is displayed. I only get the following:

1. Link colour changes on hover

2. The home domain is displayed in the bottom of the browser.

top-menu-categories.png?dl=0

So visitors can not access any categories.

The other links in the Menu work correctly.

I suspect that this is an issue with the Categories coding as it has had issues before and not the Top Horizontal Menu but am unsure and have to start somewhere. 

I have not changed the categories from when it was working. Maybe an update has broken things.