Upgrades with own theme - best approach

Hello

The last to months i was working very intensively with prestashop. The most things I like, but I still have problems to understand what is the best way to do my own theme. 

The most important for us is, always to be up to date. I understand that I should use theme folder und overrides. In fact we try to have as few overrides possible, to have easy upgrades. 

But how can I achieve this with theme? With modules it's easy, I just only put the tpl, js and css files in my theme which are really different to module folder. But what about the files like header.tpl, global.js or global.css. If I remove this files from my theme folder, the theme doesn't work.

I want a working theme, but the files I didn't change (mainly js-files) should always be updated like the default theme. How can I achieve this?

Could you please give tipps how you use own theme and make updates! Is my approach good or bad?

Hello.

If I understand correctly:

1. You have made a copy of the default theme and you are working on this, making changes to some (not all) of this theme's files

2. Every time there is a PrestaShop update, you would like to incorporate any changes/fixes of the default theme, in your custom theme, but only for files you haven't modified/customized

If this is the case, then it would be very hard to automate this procedure. It would involve comparing (with file compare/diff-type utilites or revision control software) previous and current theme files to determine which have been updated. Then, copying in your theme only those that you have not customized.

But what if there are also changes in theme files you have already customized? What if there is a fix/impovement that spans multiple files (some of which you have not modified, some of which you have)? It might get messy... :-\

Yeah exactly thats what I did. But how to get on with it?

To me it seems there is no easy way to have full updates AND own theme... Am I wrong with this?

Probably best way is just to have my own theme, then update and as long everything works, just doing nothing. And if I get some problems anywhere, I will check difference in my theme and the orginal files. But of course I won't get new features or improvements like this.