[Bug PayPal] Problem with the shipping address

202ecommerce

Hello , 

we found that some users are experiencing this type of error: 

=> PayPal response: TIMESTAMP -> 2014-08-11T07: 19: 34ZL_ERRORCODE0 -> 10729L_SHORTMESSAGE0 -> Shipping Address State EmptyL_LONGMESSAGE0 -> The field Shipping Address State is requiredL_SEVERITYCODE0 -> Error 

We are actively trying to do with the PayPal team to solve the problem and make new functional module for users who encounter this error. 

Regards, 

202 ecommerce

Hello , 
we found that some users are experiencing this type of error: 

=> PayPal response: TIMESTAMP -> 2014-08-11T07: 19: 34ZL_ERRORCODE0 -> 10729L_SHORTMESSAGE0 -> Shipping Address State EmptyL_LONGMESSAGE0 -> The field Shipping Address State is requiredL_SEVERITYCODE0 -> Error 

We are actively trying to do with the PayPal team to solve the problem and make new functional module for users who encounter this error. 

Regards, 
202 ecommerce

Did you solve the problem? I am losing clients in my website

• 3 weeks later...

Since no details are really being provided, I'm curious why you feel this is an issue.  What Country are we referring to with this issue.  Did you confirm that you have this Country configured properly?

If Paypal is saying that a State is required, are you saying Paypal is wrong to require a State for this Country?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Some months ago, I've experienced the same issue. I've solved it modifying the setCustomerAddress inside the /express_checkout/payment.php as follow:

function setCustomerAddress($ppec, $customer, $id = null)
{
	$address = new Address($id);
	$address->id_country = Country::getByIso($ppec->result['PAYMENTREQUEST_0_SHIPTOCOUNTRYCODE']);
	if ($id == null)
		$address->alias = 'Paypal_Address';

$address->lastname = $customer->lastname;
	$address->firstname = $customer->firstname;
	$address->address1 = $ppec->result['PAYMENTREQUEST_0_SHIPTOSTREET'];
	if (isset($ppec->result['PAYMENTREQUEST_0_SHIPTOSTREET2']))
		$address->address2 = $ppec->result['PAYMENTREQUEST_0_SHIPTOSTREET2'];
	$address->city = $ppec->result['PAYMENTREQUEST_0_SHIPTOCITY'];
	//mod by IdeaCommerce
	if (Country::containsStates($address->id_country)){
		$tmp_id_state = (int)State::getIdByIso($ppec->result['PAYMENTREQUEST_0_SHIPTOSTATE'], $address->id_country);

if(!$tmp_id_state)
			$tmp_id_state = (int)State::getIdByName($ppec->result['PAYMENTREQUEST_0_SHIPTOSTATE'], $address->id_country);

if($tmp_id_state > 0)
			$address->id_state = $tmp_id_state;
	}
	//end mod
	$address->postcode = $ppec->result['PAYMENTREQUEST_0_SHIPTOZIP'];
	if (isset($ppec->result['PAYMENTREQUEST_0_SHIPTOPHONENUM']))
		$address->phone = $ppec->result['PAYMENTREQUEST_0_SHIPTOPHONENUM'];
	$address->id_customer = $customer->id;
	return $address;
}

I hope that it could be helpful for someone :)

• Like 2

Hello,

I confirm that PayPal Europe Module 3.8.1 is buggy.

After the update of the PayPal module on two different installations of Presta 1.4.* we have got the State field upon return from PayPal being reset to empty string.

This looks very serious because,since the system tries to match the state with a shipping carrier, in a few cases the customer has found herself without shipping costs (probably bouncing from PayPal), so she could complete the payment and have the total invoiced without shipping costs.

@antoniocici, thanks for the mod code, it is not clear whether the express_checkout.php file is used also upon return on normal checkout (if not, which is the interested file being called upon return from PayPal?)

Urgent fixing (or some documentatio on how the module works) is required...

• Like 1

I have this trouble too on 1.5.3 since upgrading to the new version of PayPal.  We're in the UK and it's affecting international orders only related to the state error.

It has so far affected all international orders and is now a real problem -affecting countries like the US and Canada that do already have the State drop down available.  In this case I saw the customer attempted 5 times (far more than most would bother) and it actually worked fine on the 5th attempt without error so it very much seems like a bug.

Another country (Italy) the customer was able to purchase but the shipping wasn't applied at all.

I hope there's a solution as we're losing orders, particularly at this time of year, this isn't good at all.

I recommend downgrade if you have kept the old module. I did this for sever installations, and orders are now arriving with correct state information.

Procedure I used:

1) Backoffice: Modules -> PayPal -> Config

2) copy all API details (password can be retrieved by right-click, Inspect element, Modify HTML - or check you paypal account)

3) back to Backoffice: Modules, serch PayPal, Uninstall, confirm removal of settings

4) Backoffice: Modules, search PayPal, "remove" (or remove "paypal" folder inside modules ia FTP)

5) FTP, upload old paypal module, Install, Configure

6) Enter API details

7) Modules, Positons, move PayPal to the top

done

a Fix for old module or a *working* version of the new module is really needed!

Thanks for your detailed reply.

I certainly would be happy to roll back to the earlier version but as far as I know I can't due to the security problem with PayPal.  The only reason I upgraded to the new version was due to the changes made by PayPal regards to the recent security alert.

Same story for me too, upgraded to 3.8.1 and it stopped to charge shipping expenses.

I did some tests, like sending money to myself through a different account and see what would happen, i've found that checking "Authorization/Manual capture (payment shipping)" would partially solve the shipping expenses charging problems, at least for those who have a paypal account. Those who don't have a paypal account but just fill in their credit card details aren't charged with shipping fee any way.

Tried to contact the developer on 24th November but after a couple of mails i didn't get any reply back...

Hi,
same nightmare for me too, prestashop 1.4.8.2, paypal module v3.8.1

I have solved in this way.

The problem is due to this tossic function in the class State.php

public static function getIdByIso($iso_code)
    {
          return Db::getInstance()->getValue('
            SELECT `id_state`
            FROM `'._DB_PREFIX_.'state`
            WHERE `iso_code` = \''.pSQL($iso_code).'\''
        );
    }

It looks for the first value of iso_code, that is unique just for a country, not for all the countries.

I have created in the class State.php a new function, in red what I have added

public static function getIdByIso_new($iso_code, $id_country)
    {
          return Db::getInstance()->getValue('
            SELECT `id_state`
            FROM `'._DB_PREFIX_.'state`
            WHERE `iso_code` = \''.pSQL($iso_code).'\' AND `id_country`='.$id_country     
        );
    }   

Then I modified the file payment.php of the paypal module

I have just changed the function getIdByIso with getIdByIso_new, so changed this ...

if (Country::containsStates($address->id_country))
        $address->id_state = (int)State::getIdByIso($ppec->result['PAYMENTREQUEST_0_SHIPTOSTATE'], $address->id_country);

... into this

$address->id_state = (int)State::getIdByIso_new($ppec->result['PAYMENTREQUEST_0_SHIPTOSTATE'], $address->id_country);

I hope it could be helpful for someone.

Stefano

Thanks for sharing your modification, but I am curious why you would have to.  The whole point of using ISO codes is that they are governed by standards. 

What ISO Code is duplicated over countries?

Hi,

the "country iso code" is differnt just for a single state, but is not unique for all

for instance, in my db

id_state | id_country | id_zone | name                   | iso_code

90       | 4          | 2       | Manitoba               | MB

182      | 10         | 9       | Monza e della Brianza  | MB

4 is US, 10 is Italy

For instance, the customer "choose Italy" and "Monza Brianza", the function return the first "MB" found in iso_code field (Manitoba, 90)

The shipping cost "Italy - Manitoba" are wrong and not set, so it's 0.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

ok, i solve this issue with a rename of the mail/EN folder to mail/en.  Really strange

I still have this problem. I've uninstalled/reinstalled PayPal 3.5.8   I've installed and configured PayPal USA, Canada 1.3.8   My PS is 1.5.5.0  

The initial issue was with the state/address issue that would bounce back to my client. They changed something on their submission and it processed. Nothing works since.  To my knowledge, nothing has changed on the host side.  My path ../prestakoc/mails/en    - mailS/en   hence, no folder to rename.

Is there any additional guidance for this issue?  

Thanks in Advance.

ok, i solve this issue with a rename of the mail/EN folder to mail/en.  Really strange

It is not that strange.  Unix systems are case sensitive, where as windows systems are not.  So something that might work properly in a windows environment (EN and en are treated the same), may not work in a unix environment (EN and en are not the same)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The order is irrelevant.  The important thing is that your store and Paypal have to match.   So if Paypal requires a State for a given Country, then your store has to also require a State for that Country.

I've just upgraded to the new PrestaShop version 1.6.0.14 and PayPal v3.8.4 hoping my international orders would stop having the following error

PayPal response:TIMESTAMP -> 2015-05-06T22:16:01ZL_ERRORCODE0 -> 10729L_SHORTMESSAGE0 -> Shipping Address State EmptyL_LONGMESSAGE0 -> The field Shipping Address State is requiredL_SEVERITYCODE0 -> Error

My New Zealand orders are not returning with the error as they don't have states I believe but on return to PrestaShop the shipping is not being charged on their order.

Other local "State" errors are impeding the functionality. These include the removal of the state on return from PayPal (as my state names do not match with PayPal. I had to set up different states so the correct freight charges could be applied to those who live in remote areas of particular states). PrestaShop/PayPal is then changing the customers selected option for shipping to whatever it feels like. So what the customer is agreeing to in PayPal dollar wise is being changed on return to PrestaShop and they are being charged something else without approval.

These errors were not happening before we were forced to upgrade the PayPal module some time ago.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

v3.10.1 - by PrestaShop module have many bags!!!

function setCustomerAddress($ppec, $customer, $id = null)
{
	$address = new Address($id);

$address->id_country = Country::getByIso($ppec->result['COUNTRYCODE']);
	if ($id == null)
		$address->alias = 'Paypal_Address';
        var_dump($ppec->result);
        exit;
	$address->lastname = $customer->lastname;
	$address->firstname = $customer->firstname;
	$address->address1 = $ppec->result['PAYMENTREQUEST_0_SHIPTOSTREET'];
	if (isset($ppec->result['PAYMENTREQUEST_0_SHIPTOSTREET2']))
		$address->address2 = $ppec->result['PAYMENTREQUEST_0_SHIPTOSTREET2'];
	$address->city = $ppec->result['PAYMENTREQUEST_0_SHIPTOCITY'];
		$address->id_state = (int)State::getIdByIso($ppec->result['PAYMENTREQUEST_0_SHIPTOSTATE'], $address->id_country);
	$address->postcode = $ppec->result['PAYMENTREQUEST_0_SHIPTOZIP'];
	if (isset($ppec->result['PAYMENTREQUEST_0_SHIPTOPHONENUM']))
		$address->phone = $ppec->result['PAYMENTREQUEST_0_SHIPTOPHONENUM'];
	$address->id_customer = $customer->id;
	return $address;
}

but request that fill $ppec->result return:

array(53) { ["TOKEN"]=> string(20) "EC-5R74321822622820V" ["BILLINGAGREEMENTACCEPTEDSTATUS"]=> string(1) "0" ["CHECKOUTSTATUS"]=> string(25) "PaymentActionNotInitiated" ["TIMESTAMP"]=> string(20) "2015-08-25T18:19:57Z" ["CORRELATIONID"]=> string(13) "1fe87459db42b" ["ACK"]=> string(7) "Success" ["VERSION"]=> string(3) "106" ["BUILD"]=> string(6) "000000" ["EMAIL"]=> string(12) "[email protected]" ["PAYERID"]=> string(13) "ZC786EF53N2KQ" ["PAYERSTATUS"]=> string(8) "verified" ["FIRSTNAME"]=> string(4) "test" ["LASTNAME"]=> string(4) "test" ["COUNTRYCODE"]=> string(2) "US" ["CURRENCYCODE"]=> string(3) "USD" ["AMT"]=> string(6) "100.00" ["ITEMAMT"]=> string(6) "100.00" ["SHIPPINGAMT"]=> string(4) "0.00" ["HANDLINGAMT"]=> string(4) "0.00" ["TAXAMT"]=> string(4) "0.00" ["INSURANCEAMT"]=> string(4) "0.00" ["SHIPDISCAMT"]=> string(4) "0.00" ["L_NAME0"]=> string(28) "Pendant Thor's Hammer Pewter" ["L_NUMBER0"]=> string(2) "10" ["L_QTY0"]=> string(1) "1" ["L_TAXAMT0"]=> string(4) "0.00" ["L_AMT0"]=> string(6) "100.00" ["L_DESC0"]=> string(3) "..." ["L_ITEMWEIGHTVALUE0"]=> string(10) " 0.00000" ["L_ITEMLENGTHVALUE0"]=> string(10) " 0.00000" ["L_ITEMWIDTHVALUE0"]=> string(10) " 0.00000" ["L_ITEMHEIGHTVALUE0"]=> string(10) " 0.00000" ["PAYMENTREQUEST_0_CURRENCYCODE"]=> string(3) "USD" ["PAYMENTREQUEST_0_AMT"]=> string(6) "100.00" ["PAYMENTREQUEST_0_ITEMAMT"]=> string(6) "100.00" ["PAYMENTREQUEST_0_SHIPPINGAMT"]=> string(4) "0.00" ["PAYMENTREQUEST_0_HANDLINGAMT"]=> string(4) "0.00" ["PAYMENTREQUEST_0_TAXAMT"]=> string(4) "0.00" ["PAYMENTREQUEST_0_INSURANCEAMT"]=> string(4) "0.00" ["PAYMENTREQUEST_0_SHIPDISCAMT"]=> string(4) "0.00" ["PAYMENTREQUEST_0_INSURANCEOPTIONOFFERED"]=> string(5) "false" ["PAYMENTREQUEST_0_ADDRESSNORMALIZATIONSTATUS"]=> string(4) "None" ["L_PAYMENTREQUEST_0_NAME0"]=> string(28) "Pendant Thor's Hammer Pewter" ["L_PAYMENTREQUEST_0_NUMBER0"]=> string(2) "10" ["L_PAYMENTREQUEST_0_QTY0"]=> string(1) "1" ["L_PAYMENTREQUEST_0_TAXAMT0"]=> string(4) "0.00" ["L_PAYMENTREQUEST_0_AMT0"]=> string(6) "100.00" ["L_PAYMENTREQUEST_0_DESC0"]=> string(3) "..." ["L_PAYMENTREQUEST_0_ITEMWEIGHTVALUE0"]=> string(10) " 0.00000" ["L_PAYMENTREQUEST_0_ITEMLENGTHVALUE0"]=> string(10) " 0.00000" ["L_PAYMENTREQUEST_0_ITEMWIDTHVALUE0"]=> string(10) " 0.00000" ["L_PAYMENTREQUEST_0_ITEMHEIGHTVALUE0"]=> string(10) " 0.00000" ["PAYMENTREQUESTINFO_0_ERRORCODE"]=> string(1) "0" } 

• 2 weeks later...

I am using 1.6.0.14 and PayPal v3.8.2  Express Checkout Option

I have the same error and ONE customer cannot pay the order.

The customer is from Japan, but other customers in Japan can pay directly with this module with NO error.

I checked with the customer which can pay successfully, the "State" is empty.

What might be the problem ?!

Thanks

David

Edited by dtwfung (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Im getting worried about this issue...
it was my first time to build an ecommerce site using prestashop as my client asked for it.

Right now we encounter this error too when the address of buyer is from philippines, I was thinking that it was just because we are in sandbox mode and this error well disapear when we use the actual paypal account of the client.

• 2 months later...

Do we have a solution so far?

PS 1.6.1.4

PayPal 3.10.2

Customers with states (eg USA, Canada) can't pay with PayPal:

Unable to process payment. Please contact the merchant as the shipping address provided by the merchant is invalid, and the merchant has requested that your order must be shipped to that address.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

PS 1.6.1.4

PayPal 3.10.2

Unable to process payment. Please contact the merchant as the shipping address provided by the merchant is invalid, and the merchant has requested that your order must be shipped to that address.

I think you should start by validating what address information was sent to Paypal.

PS 1.6.1.4

PayPal 3.10.2

I have a similar payment error. Check the state in both paypal and prestashop.

In my case, customer with error has not define state in my shop. Hope this helps

Many thanks for your input. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

then what is the case?  i assume you have reviewed the shipping address that is failing, and vetted that with Paypal support

It has been tested by a guy who's Prestashop and PayPal addresses in the United States are the same - payment doesn't go through. I didn't know that I suppose to contact PayPal support about this issue...

Is that only me who has such problem with PayPal ?

i am only saying that reporting an issue without providing the details of the issue, is not very helpful.  if you actually are looking for help, then you need to start by confirming what address was used, and what address was sent to Paypal.

We are not Paypal, nor their support, so it would only make sense for you to contact Paypal about this issue.  After all, they are the ones that rejected the transaction for an invalid address

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm getting these errors on certain international orders:

I'm running the latest UK friendly Prestashop Official PayPal Module:
"Payments and Gateways - PayPal v3.11.4 - by PrestaShop"

Running on Prestashop 1.6.1.1

Here's the error messages:

AUTRALIA

PayPal response:TIMESTAMP -> 2017-08-04T06:07:22ZL_ERRORCODE0 -> 10411L_SHORTMESSAGE0 -> This Express Checkout session has expired.L_LONGMESSAGE0 -> This Express Checkout session has expired. Token value is no longer valid.L_SEVERITYCODE0 -> Error

ARGENTINA

PayPal response:TIMESTAMP -> 2017-07-31T21:22:19ZL_ERRORCODE0 -> 10411L_SHORTMESSAGE0 -> This Express Checkout session has expired.L_LONGMESSAGE0 -> This Express Checkout session has expired. Token value is no longer valid.L_SEVERITYCODE0 -> Error

BRAZIL

PayPal response:TIMESTAMP -> 2017-08-17T16:03:41ZL_ERRORCODE0 -> 10729L_SHORTMESSAGE0 -> Shipping Address State EmptyL_LONGMESSAGE0 -> The field Shipping Address State is requiredL_SEVERITYCODE0 -> Error

I wrote to PayPal Tech Support and they said:

Andrew, when you get this error message, what you need to do is to make some changes the code. But somehow PrestaShop had ignored this issue previously but I'm not sure if they have already made the changes or not.

Here is the link for the forum:
https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/349867-bug-paypal-problem-with-the-shipping-address/

Moreover, the best I would suggest is to contact their support team and let them know of this error. Because it will require some code changes to solve this.

From my PayPal ticket - which prompted their reply above: 

I have a problem with receiving PayPal payments from certain countries. These countries have been sub-grouped into a custom destination called "Other Countries".
"The Other Destinations group currently only includes: Argentina, Australia, Brazil, New Zealand and Singapore."

I've received a number of Payment Errors on ONLY these destinations, so something seems to be causing an issue between Checkout and PayPal and I'm not sure what. I called PayPal help and they passed me on to you guys.

I currently ship to UK, EU (and other European countries) + North America. All of those destinations work fine and never get this "Payment Error".

I'm running the latest UK friendly Prestashop Official PayPal Module:
"Payments and Gateways - PayPal v3.11.4 - by PrestaShop"

Running on Prestashop 1.6.1.1

Here's the only clue as to what MAY be going on:

Prestashop Backend: "Payment Error"

ORDER SUMMARY BACKEND:
91 000000091 No Brazil XXXXXXX-NAME-REDACTED £ 11.45 PayPal Payment error 08/17/2017 17:08:32

Interestingly under the message section within the Order Details Page is this, which may provide a clue:

PayPal response:TIMESTAMP -> 2017-08-17T16:08:32ZL_ERRORCODE0 -> 10729L_SHORTMESSAGE0 -> Shipping Address State EmptyL_LONGMESSAGE0 -> The field Shipping Address State is requiredL_SEVERITYCODE0 -> Error

I've tested doing an order as a Brazilian all the way through to opening my PayPal account - BUT I don't have a Brazilian Paypal Account so I can't do a full test.

I've changed the Brazilian Address requirements since this error and have made the STATE field optional. I'd be very grateful if someone in tech support could run some dummy orders from Australia, Brazil and Argentina to see if there are any issue that cause these Payment Errors.

Any idea why this is still happening. Also, I don't understand why this only happens to countries I've put in a custom "Other Destinations" category.

Any and all help much appreciated.

Cheers,

PS

Here's the response from PayPal Tech Support:

After several investigations, I've checked with the team. What they told me, yes, for some countries you will require passing the State in the API request. So in the Prestashop, they will either need to add some kind of filter on the customer if their country is from those listed in the document below:

https://developer.paypal.com/docs/classic/api/merchant/DoExpressCheckoutPayment_API_Operation_SOAP/
https://developer.paypal.com/docs/classic/api/merchant/SetExpressCheckout_API_Operation_SOAP/

(search for "StateOrProvince" in the link above)

If not you will need to suggest the customer pass with the state then only the customer from this country will be able to make payment to you.

Here's the PayPal docs on State:

StateOrProvince

xs:string

State or province.

It is required for transactions only if the address is in one of the following countries: Argentina, Brazil, Canada, China, Indonesia, India, Japan, Mexico, Thailand or USA. See the list of PayPal State codes.

Character length and limitations: 40 single-byte characters

I've amended address format to:

Brazil: + Argentina:

firstname lastname
company
address1
address2
postcode city
State:name
phone

WIth contains States set to YES.

I'll keep on eye on future errors and report back.

So far unconvinced -- hopefully PayPal module developers can pitch in.

PS

Edited by pandastrike (see edit history)

Here's the response from PayPal Tech Support:

Here's the PayPal docs on State:

I've amended address format to:

Brazil: + Argentina:

firstname lastname

company

address1

address2

postcode city

State:name

phone

WIth contains States set to YES.

I'll keep on eye on future errors and report back.

So far unconvinced -- hopefully PayPal module developers can pitch in.

PS

Did you also add various States to Prestashop and assign them to the Brazil country?  Do those States match to ISO Code that Paypal is expecting to receive?

Here's the Brazilian States (courtesy of PayPal) that should be part of the Default Localization setup on Prestashop (IMO):

States_Edit_Brazil.png

We'll see if that solves the problem.

Is there anything else I should know or do to rectify this error?

Thanks again bellini13 for your help.

PS

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I just realise there is this error today coz a customer called in with this error.

Nothing was changed at all on admin, paypal payment has been working all along.

Up until now, this error suddenly appeared. 

Is this a Paypal issue? or do we have to change something on Prestashop admin to make Paypal like us enough for payment to go through? 

presta_11.jpg
presta-22.jpg

the word 'undefined' appears next to Singapore in the Paypal error.  I suspect Paypal is expecting to receive a valid State from Prestashop.  Based on your screen shot, the Singapore country in Prestashop is not using States

I'm not familiar enough with the Singapore country to know if there should be States defined or not.  Perhaps you should ask Paypal support directly as a starting point.

the word 'undefined' appears next to Singapore in the Paypal error.  I suspect Paypal is expecting to receive a valid State from Prestashop.  Based on your screen shot, the Singapore country in Prestashop is not using States

I'm not familiar enough with the Singapore country to know if there should be States defined or not.  Perhaps you should ask Paypal support directly as a starting point.

This issue never came up in the 3 years i have run this website with Paypal as payment gateway.

Apparently, many prestashop users got this issue suddenly pop up this few days too...

https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/628048-paypal-problem-with-shipping-address/