Site speed & layered navigation working?

Mister Denial

Hello everyone,

I just migrated from 1.4.9 to 1.6 and am worried about my site speed going down. It looks snappy to me (I am on a VPS), but I would like other peoples opinion on how fast the website load for them.

So if you could let me know how the website loads for you, and from where you are, that would be great.

And also if the layered navigation category filtering is working correctly for you, I have a customer complaining about the products loading icon showing up but no products. I can not reproduce this, but I still want to rule out this is a serious problem rather than an isolated case.

http://www.the-black-angel.com

Thanks a lot!!

Dan

Hello 

I am from Switzerland. Your Page Speed is quite good I believe. At least the most other shops I see here are for sure not faster. Unfortunately I have never seen any Prestashop Website which is amazingly fast.

Have you done any improvements for your pagespeed? May I know what your VPS cost monthly? We are changing from opencart to prestashop. We have at the moment a speed problem and are thinking about VPS.

Layered Navigation worked perfect for me...

The layered worked fine for me. The speed is good also. If you want to squeeze everything you can get out of it speed wise here are a few tips. 

Configure your et tags, I made pull request to the git adding it a while back, but it was never merged, you can see what I did there. Refactor your homefeatured images, they are scaled 20 x 20 px and optimize the on site images. You could lose around 150kb or so 15% of your page size. Also there is a updated themeconfigurator I think or homeslider that adds the extension to the image uploaded. I am pretty sure the one without the extension does not cache. Also, thy throw off the gzip warning because it does not know what file type it is. Also, it sets off the vary-accept filter to, because it does not have an extension. 

You might also consider installing the express cache module too, it should cut the loading time in around half. 

If you are on cpanel, you could use cnames to run pseudo media servers to load more requests too. 

And if you wanted to get real bleeding edge, you could reduce the google font size by passing just US chars to it as a query string and it would load only us style characters. 

But everything seems good to me, I am not being critical, just giving a few tips since you asked. 

• Like 1

Have you done any improvements for your pagespeed? May I know what your VPS cost monthly? We are changing from opencart to prestashop. We have at the moment a speed problem and are thinking about VPS.

Thanks for the feedback, glad everything works quite fast and right.

Regarding my hosting, I am hosted with Myhosting in the US, because many of my customers are located there. You might want to consider where your customers are too, when choosing your host.

There are different plans available at Myhosting, I have added a few extra resources to my subscription, which costs be about 500-600 Dollars yearly, but I have plenty of ram and CPU, so it would actually be possible to host multiple shops on that plan.

I also would like to add that the Myhosting customer service is very impressive, they are very helpful on most common problems, and for in-depth server tweaking, they offer professional services at the rate of 90 Dollars / hour

Configure your et tags, I made pull request to the git adding it a while back, but it was never merged, you can see what I did there.

Refactor your homefeatured images, they are scaled 20 x 20 px and optimize the on site images.

You could lose around 150kb or so 15% of your page size. Also there is a updated themeconfigurator I think or homeslider that adds the extension to the image uploaded. I am pretty sure the one without the extension does not cache. Also, thy throw off the gzip warning because it does not know what file type it is. Also, it sets off the vary-accept filter to, because it does not have an extension. 

Hi Dh42,

thanks for your detailed reply, I really appreciate. I already have the express cache module on my "to do" list, but I want to do the other tweaking first, to get the max performance out of Prestashop before adding the module. I am also going to give PHP 5.5 and the new opcode caching a try.

But I have a few questions about the three points you mentioned above, do you have a link to the github post? And could you explain what you meant about the 20 x 20 homefeatured images?

According to the modules page, all modules are up-to-date, it does not show a newer version for themeconfigurator (I am on 1.1.0).

Also, you have a gzip warning for my site?

I noticed that I have nearly 1.2 seconds TTFB on the category pages, which is incredibly long considering the kind of CPU / RAM I have on my VPS.

Edited by Mister Denial (see edit history)

I'm Lesley, Fred is El Patron.

I think the main issue with the category pages being slow is that you are loading 27 products on the page at once. The more products you load, the harder the database is hit. 

As for the the images being 20 x 20 bigger than needed, you either fixed it or they were scaled down on my chromebook last night. But it looks like you are good to go there. 

The pull for the ETags is here, https://github.com/PrestaShop/PrestaShop/pull/1907

The homeslider, very strange, did you update anything from last night? The program I use to reduce images and also gt metrix found them without out extensions last night. This morning they are showing with extensions. That handles the gzip issue though.

With the php 5.5 and the new optimizer, make sure your admin sets the site up in fcgi or dso. If you use fcgi have them enable su exec so that Prestashop has the right privileges and the users run correctly. I have had so many hosts that do not know how to set it up properly and everythng runs as user nobody. 

What two hooks are they?