[Free module] Upload product images via optimization service yahoo smush.it

Smush.it is the service for non-lossy image optimization  ( http://www.smushit.com/ysmush.it/ ).

Module send new images to yahoo server and if it reduce size download compressed images back.

In most cases, the picture size is reduced by 10 - 25 percent. If the image can not be compressed it stay unchanged. The download speed depends on the network speed of the server, and the yahoo service loading.

In the settings section (if enabled) module count and show the total number of "savings" bytes.

Was tested on ver 1.5.

smushit.zip

Edited by wagood (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

hi, i don't see a field or selection where i can optimize my image. is this window normal? thanks

This is just settings part. You can turn on / off log here. 

The image will optimizing automatically when you upload new product picture. Try upload new picture and then look to setting page and you will see the amount of saved bytes.

Hi, any chance to make it for 1.6 please?

thanks.

Archive file was updated. Some changes and remove version validation. It should work with 1.6 version.

• Like 1

Hi,

when i clic on install :

Le ou les modules suivants n'ont pas été correctement installés :
  • smushit : 
        The version of your module is not compliant with your PrestaShop version.

Hi,

when i clic on install :

Sorry, download the archive again.

Another way is comment or  delete this line in smushit.php file:

$this->ps_versions_compliancy = array('min' => '1.5', 'max' => '1.5.7');

Install is OK, thanks,

adding some pictures, but :

Smushit not resize or pack pictures, it just:

• stripping meta data from JPEGs
  • optimizing JPEG compression
  • converting certain GIFs to indexed PNGs
  • stripping the un-used colours from indexed images

May be your pictures are always clean?

My stats: 11376288 byte(s).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi there.

Thank You very much for sharing :)

Im interested in this module, as I want my site dyrefoder.dk to load as fast as possible.

But maybe you can answer a few questions I have:

1. Is your smush module just as good as this and this (paid modules) ?

2. should/could I combine both using CDN and Smush, or should I just use the one of them? In last case, what is most effective, cdn or smush?

3. I read that I can speed load time up by serving mediafiles from sobdomains, by setting up 3 virtual subdomains to scale media files out on 43 or 4 hosts. Is this a good idea? Can this work together with your smush module? 

Thanks You :o)

info about my store:

Prestashop 1.6.0.9

Hosted at Djangoeurope.com (server in germany)

Customers in scandinavia (Norway, Sweden and Denmark)

Edited by michaelhjulskov (see edit history)

Hi there.

Thank You very much for sharing :)

Im interested in this module, as I want my site dyrefoder.dk to load as fast as possible.

But maybe you can answer a few questions I have:

1. Is your smush module just as good as this and this (paid modules) ?

2. should/could I combine both using CDN and Smush, or should I just use the one of them? In last case, what is most effective, cdn or smush?

3. I read that I can speed load time up by serving mediafiles from sobdomains, by setting up 3 virtual subdomains to scale media files out on 43 or 4 hosts. Is this a good idea? Can this work together with your smush module? 

Thanks You :o)

info about my store:

Prestashop 1.6.0.9

Hosted at Djangoeurope.com (server in germany)

Customers in scandinavia (Norway, Sweden and Denmark)

1. My module reduce image size automatically after uploading product image. I have not seen that modules and can not compare with my one.

2. CDN and Smush are different technologies. Smush just reduce image size, CDN is content network. You can use both of them.

3. Yes, this will work.

When I try installing this module in my 1.6.0.9 shop I get 500 error when I try to access to the modules section in the BO.

500 error is something like bad server configuration and unlikely it related with module.

I tried to install on clean 1.6 version and it worked. Now I can't test it on 1.6, sorry.

500 error is something like bad server configuration and unlikely it related with module.

I tried to install on clean 1.6 version and it worked. Now I can't test it on 1.6, sorry.

I tried putting the folder in the server and I got this error when I entered to the modules section:

[PrestaShop] Fatal error in module SmushIt:

Cannot redeclare class SmushIt

• 4 weeks later...

Smush.it is the service for non-lossy image optimization  ( http://www.smushit.com/ysmush.it/ ).

Module send new images to yahoo server and if it reduce size download compressed images back.

In most cases, the picture size is reduced by 10 - 25 percent. If the image can not be compressed it stay unchanged. The download speed depends on the network speed of the server, and the yahoo service loading.

In the settings section (if enabled) module count and show the total number of "savings" bytes.

Was tested on ver 1.5.

Hi Wagood,

What if I have already 1000 of products and also needs to reduce/optimize that images also ?

Hi Wagood,

What if I have already 1000 of products and also needs to reduce/optimize that images also ?

Sorry, this module only work work with new uploading.

This is a good idea for new module :)

yes, it's a pity that it doesn't optimize already existing images! Other paid modules doing this..hope this one will do in the future too!

You can try to recreate all existing images from backoffice (Preferences->Images). Module work with WATERMARK HOOK and will optimize when you rebuild images.

hi. Great addon. on ps 1.6, when i add a image and click upload, the image dont show, only if i load again the product i se the aded image, but is not smushed. 

Now I'm not sure that it works correctly on 1.6. Test it with 1.6 version in my plans.

Its very good module for new pictures.

But how can I optimize my old pictures? I have more than 800MB pictures and I want to optimize them. do you have any solotion ?

You can try to recreate all existing images from backoffice (Preferences->Images). Module work with WATERMARK HOOK and will optimize when you rebuild images.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Do you have plans to update this module for 1.6 and resmush?

• 8 months later...

In the error log I get these messages for each picture when trying to regenerate pictures with the module enabled on PS 1.6.1.4:

PHP Deprecated:  curl_setopt_array(): The usage of the @filename API for file uploading is deprecated. Please use the CURLFile class instead in /modules/smushit/libs/RollingCurl/RollingCurl.php on line 307