lp.boe

[Suggestions] What would YOU like to see in PrestaShop?

Thought I should start a thread for some serious brainworks on suggestions for the future development of PrestaShop. I have alot of faith in the PrestaShop team and that they have a clear image of what needs to be done to take the product to the next level. A big thank you is in place for their work and effort for keeping this an open source project. I think people should show their appreciation by taking into consideration that they need their income to be able to dedicate to the development, and I hope everyone who makes a living from using PrestaShop considers buying their modules or donating.

NOW LET'S CUT TO THE CHASE; I want to hear all your opinions on what would improve PrestaShop as it is today. Not a gazillion years into the future, but right here and now at the current version.

What I would like to see now is definately improvement of the CMS system. One great improvement in my eyes would be a mediabank that let's you upload and edit files, images, movies etc for inserting via tinyMCE (the wysiwyg editor currently used for editing pages in the CMS). I've already made this kind of plugin for a cms i developed which gives you an image gallery with albums, and when inserting a picture you can instead of having to just paste an URL for you image -- you can browse your gallery, upload a new image and hit INSERT. This is something I'm thinking of making an addon for Presta atm.

There might be 3rd party modules for improving the CMS already. I haven't located them all. But I'd like to see the core of the CMS improved. It is very important to be able to display and manage the content you want for a successful website, and this goes for webshops as well. It makes it more attractive to the customer, it makes customers come back to check for updates (and they need to be found and displayed easily) and it makes your shop more than just a counter -- it makes your shop a place to find information, news and spend more time in general. Which leads to sales.

So in my eyes, a ground up solid CMS would make PrestaShop take big steps in the right direction.

Anyone else? :)

CMS would be right at the bottom of my list. There are already plenty of CMS script that could be teamed up with PS. Hopefully a Joomla - PS link will be offered soon.

Top would be improving the core functions - specifically support for international address formats, a flexible discount system, order editor, improving the way downloads are handled so that it can handle large files like a CD or a DVD.

I would love to see an auto-update feature for when new version are released. Wordpress has intergrated this very well and is a good example.

Also a serious attempt at upselling functions that display selected products during the checkout process. An example of what I mean is this: I have a site that sells sunglasses and I would like to have the ability to flash up cleaning kits or glasses case near the end of the checkout process.

An intergrated one page checkout and guest checkout that doesnt require people to create modules that alter the base code.

CMS would be right at the bottom of my list. There are already plenty of CMS script that could be teamed up with PS. Hopefully a Joomla - PS link will be offered soon.

Top would be improving the core functions - specifically support for international address formats, a flexible discount system, order editor, improving the way downloads are handled so that it can handle large files like a CD or a DVD.

Order editor is high in my list too, as well as a more flexible discount system.

But could you give an example of how you handle the cms issues? I wouldn't have any problem with workarounds for my own store, but for my other projects helping customers of mine with their stores -- giving someone who needs full training to handle PrestaStore even more systems and controlpanels to have to deal with isn't an ideal situation at all unfortunately.

I agree that it isn't great to have several different systems when you have to design systems for others to use. I have to use Joomla because after investigating many different solutions it is the only CMS that supports a sophisticated directory component. For my application the directory component of equal importance to the shopping cart.

The things I would like to see in Prestashop are in priority,

Update Tab - Some sort of a one click system to update to the latest verison of Prestashop there seems to be to many problems with updating as it is.

Paypal - As a global open source software I think there should be Paypal Pro be available to all countries to use to take card payments on site.

Order Editor - To be able to edit orders aswell as a bulk order editor.

If all this was to come true it would be first class.

Regards,

Mark.

I would say, a clearer way to make returns,
I might be just as easy as renaming the whole "avoir" thing..

an easy way to manage inventory easily like: an easy mass update to be accessible in BO
Paypal pro is a definite need but I am working on it right now with a freelance coder (that I had to hire) so it might be solved soon

Clear and good HOW to guides would be good, it feels like it is clearly laking from reading the forums: tons of repost, information is not easily accessible..

Known issues should also be recorded in a user friendly way: ok there is bug tracker, but there should also be some kindd of readable list (for those who are not so much inot coding) of know issues or available fixes, etc..?
Maybe it exists already..?

quick check out

guest check out

and the ability to custumize the fields required.

and a download page imediately after payment with a big arrow: click here to download file(s)

A really very simple "one page checkout" and the ability to custumize the fields required.
We must have these features in the next version !!!!!

quick check out

guest check out

Edit orders

Auto update feature, so that you can download and run a simpler update script.. takes to much time to upload an entire shop when it should be enough with just the changed files and a db script..

ability to upload csv files to add multiple products.

Some kind of automated link exchange module

Newsletter manager

order editor

Hey everyone... Adam and I have some modules in heavy development that actually address some of these issues. All of them are free of core modifications and easily installable. So you won't have any problems updating your core in the future.

- One-page checkout mod. We've taken a look at the existing one-page checkout mods and improved on them with our new Ejectcore Checkout Pro mod. It's really neat and will be ready for commercial release before xmas.

- CMS Pro... we're almost finished with development of a plugin that is a seamless replacement for the built-in CMS and adds many new features like Product articles, Category articles, and a plugin framework to easily add new features. Our early release is stable but we're looking for sponsors to help finish out the featureset for the new year.

And of course our Filter Search Pro mod is now available which adds best-in-class filtered navigation features to Prestashop without any core mods. I'd encourage everyone to check it out since it's a no-brainer upgrade that really can turbocharge sales on sites. More browsing = more sales.

Have a great weekend and let us know if you have any questions or feature requests. Our goal is to help make the amazing Prestashop platform even greater with best-in-class professional add-on modules.

best,
yaakov

Well what would be very nice, and was allready requested many times in other topics and on other E-commerce systems:

A Pre-Order / Backorder module:
(what will it have to do)
- On checkout set articles that are not in stock in a backorder module (extra page where users can follow the status of there product)
- Possibility to split an order when it takes too long and the user wants the products that are available
- Pre-order module where you can select a small pre-order fee (different per product)

Don't know how to explain it yet but maybe someone else can?

I would like to see something that will allow you to customize text fields better and the product combinations limit to be extended so it doesn't break.

An easy way to format all date entries as 12/13/2009 for an example. If this has been covered.. please share the info/link. Thanks!

Yes, I would like an option in the Back Office to choose date format too. In the meantime, you can modify the displayDate function in classes/Tools.php and change the last line of the function to:

return ($tmpTab[2].'/'.$tmpTab[1].'/'.$tmpTab[0].($full ? $hour : ''));

Awesome! Thanks. I see it's working on pdf's and order history. Will this also effect emails or do I need to modify any other files?

Yes, I just checked the order confirmation email and it has the modified date format too. Let me know if you find any dates that aren't in the new format.

I actually found one.
It's in the Vouchers section.
I created a voucher and then went to YOUR VOUCHERS on the front end to test it and see if it was there.
It was there, however under "EXPIRATION DATE"
the date is displayed as: day/month/year instead of month/day/year.

I believe this is because when I created the voucher.. it automatically formated the date that way. IF you can tell me which file I need to edit for the voucher creation.. I'm sure that will fix it. I've been searching....

All of the above + edit pdf invoice in BO and TinyMCE for the category pages.

My biggest priorities to make this a top notch shopping cart are:

1. Free Shipping by individual items.

2. A more accurate UPS shipping module

3. Improved WYSWIG editor for product description that allows easier programming of javascript. Currently the {literal} tag thing is buggy and doesn't work for me.

I think that one of most important things to be included in prestashop is add/edit orders.

Ex.: One customer buy one product, he choose one size or colour, but he send one mail to change it. We should change the order, add products to order, etir products, shipping, etc...

This is one feature i would like to see in presta. With that, we can use only prestashop as cart and the some time as store management software.

Thanks

I think fixing the attributes is a Must. Would love to be able to offer options withOut them counting as an extra product.

I think fixing the attributes is a Must. Would love to be able to offer options withOut them counting as an extra product.

I am working on an attribute wizard module, which let's you customize the attributes.
The next version of it will allow you to add unlimited attributes without creating any combination (similar to Http://lensesrx.com).

Not sure when it will be ready, but v1.0 is not far away

Hi All,

It has been mentioned before. But to remind everyone we're in the business of selling we absolutely need a good upsell and cross-sell module that will show the upsells and cross-sells the way you want it on checkout:

- Automatically ('Other customers who bought this product also bought ...') for the shop,
- to be overrulled by admin defined products per category,
- to be overruled by admin defined products per product.

i think an multi-image uploader must be included in PS 1.3 because it is a tough job to add image one by one

I have been searching forever looking for a links module. not like the one presta has but a page where you go and you see categories that are relavent to your sites niche that will have links to reliable sites, also a site submit and validation form for SEO purposes.

This is a very important step to SEO and i think it would be a very nice addition to presta. If it has not been done before can someone let me know so i can get started on building this feature.

Hope these will be in 1.3:

* Guest checkout and express checkout

* Able to edit quantity in cart/checkout, not only

* Edit orders easily, like adding/removing a product from

* Able to buy more than one product at once via Add to cart button (via form, like enter 6 and then add to cart 6 products)

Prestashop v1.3 final is about to be released and it has none of those features, so you'll have to wait for at least Prestashop v1.4.

i think an multi-image uploader must be included in PS 1.3 because it is a tough job to add image one by one

There is a free module for that, search the forum.

I would like to see an easy and flexible way to do discounts: like per number of items (buy 2 get 15%, buy 3 get 20%) for all items, bogo, etc..by category of items etc..
I would like the vocabulary used in the return process cleared so the french version does not confuse the heck out of my customers (i had to manually fix it)
I would like to see an "contact us" module that can add a button on any page you want
I would like to have a way to edit my stock all in one place (when i do inventory)
a module to print a page to do my inventory with current on record
a way to delete orders included in the version
a google analytics module THAT WORKS (including e commerce, cause right now it does not)
A fast check out process
an ordering process with different url so it is easy to track (some of my url for ordering step 1 and step 3 are the same.. not great for tracking users)

and much more :) because we always want more right? :)

PrestaShop already has a "Buy 2, get 15% off" option. Go to the "6. Discounts" tab of the product editor, enter "2" as the "Product quantity" and "15" as the discount value, then click "Add quantity discount". It doesn't let you give a discount off another product or category though. I agree with the other suggestions.

well that is the thing, I am looking for a buy any 2 product get 15 % off.
I know I can set it up with a certain $ amount to reach, but sometimes it is better to have an article limit than a dollar amount. The customer "realize" less how much there is too spend. Sometimes saying 15% off $100 does not get as much result as buy 2 get a discount.. :)
I guess the general idea, should be more flexibility with discounts.

Well what would be very nice, and was allready requested many times in other topics and on other E-commerce systems:

A Pre-Order / Backorder module:
(what will it have to do)
- On checkout set articles that are not in stock in a backorder module (extra page where users can follow the status of there product)
- Possibility to split an order when it takes too long and the user wants the products that are available
- Pre-order module where you can select a small pre-order fee (different per product)

Don't know how to explain it yet but maybe someone else can?

I'd like to affirm this suggestion. Though, actually, I'd prefer an optional discount for pre-orders.

Since I am A drop shipper I would Like to see Multi Vender Shipper Mod. installed in this addition. It is one addition that is really needed.

Since I am A drop shipper I would Like to see Multi Vender Shipper Mod. installed in this addition. It is one addition that is really needed.

Let me voice support for this one as well. Seems like this should be a core feature rather than a module though.

I believe that if this could be done that it would put Prestashop on the forefront of all shopping carts.

Top of my list:

AUTO UPDATE to new versions. [anyone whos had to do an update on a live store will know this is insane]
Being able to restore databse backup's would be a handy feature too.. [how they get away without it lord knows! :P ]
Better Paypal Module. Seriously, I'm using a 3rd party beta version at the minute.. Sort your official modules out PS team!

Shipping charges calculated by delivery postcode.

This would seriously help UK merchants.

A description editor in the Back Office like CScart (cscart.com) uses in theirs. I can enter any html, tables, links, images as if I am creating a web page and their editor shows what I typed in perfectly on the store side. Never a problem. The tinymce editor Prestashop uses is a nightmare to use.

Ajax Order Editor (like the mod made for osc)

Easily Add Attributes (product color or size selections) instead of one by one, by one, by one.

I would like to have the to option to show product options, e.g. available sizes and colours in the product list, also have all the options as visually appealing as the colour picker so a size picker with images as a posed to the drop down menus!

I'd love to see something like AutoMod being used for updates. This way, it makes things MUCH easier to do updates because you can either let AutoMOD do the work or you can manually update based on the MODX files.

PHPBB uses this for their updates as well as Module installations. IT is so much cooler than the piece of crap that Prestashop uses mainly because it allows you to keep your existing modifications.

If you've never seen it in action, you really should install a PHPBB forum on your site for testing and see how it works.

I would highly recommend doing something like this so upgrades aren't such a PITA for EVERY store owner out there. If you knew how many store owners DON'T upgrade because of the hassle of upgrading, you might see the benefits to applying something like this for upgrades.

My 2 cents about desired features in Prestashop:

1. BO Order Editor
2. Auto Update Core Prestashop
3. Centralized system to autoupdate contributed modules (like in wordpress/drupal)
4) Free shipping per item
5) Ability to restrict rree shipping certain zones or carriers
6) Flexible register form with options to select fields to include, add new ones, mark them as required...
7) Ability to integrate additional variables in the shipping tracking url (i.e. post code)
8) Centralized inventory
9) More flexibility and more options to create vouchers, discounts and promotions (i.e. buy 2 and get 3)
10) Additional core themes to provide alternative prestashop layouts

Look at the feature request page.

Look at all the features requested they were requested by me 02/08/2010

I want Prestashop to focus on SEO!

this is the most important thing today! so many problems with the url's etc. canonical, duplicate pages, cms, lang/ problems.

For Prestashop to be successful it has to be SEO perfect! this way we all would have higher seo rankings. This would result in more visitors. Thus more sales = successful shopping cart.

I have been stressing the problems of seo in prestashop in the report a bug and request a feature forum but i don't think Prestashop admin don't care.

It has been mentioned before. But to remind everyone we’re in the business of selling we absolutely need a good upsell and cross-sell module that will show the upsells and cross-sells the way you want it on checkout:

- Automatically (‘Other customers who bought this product also bought …’) for the shop, – to be overrulled by admin defined products per category, – to be overruled by admin defined products per product.

Don't know if it has been mentioned, but a Royal Mail Shipping module would be really useful.

Also, having an option to allow customers to mark an item as a gift, so that the price on the invoice is hidden.

If we saw no duplicate url's or content for search engines, we would each get more visitors.

If we had the option to use google optimizer then we can each try different variations to improve conversion rate. As a result Prestashop would be more successful.

The ability to add different variation of themes in the BO to google optimizer would be excellent. Probably the best module we can get. Imagine having the ability to add 3/4+ different themes at once and getting reports from them. All you need to do is make the changes to the themes and add a code for google website optimizer.

What you really want to see is that I would like to sell products to a diferent country, That country, including my country doesn’t have zip code.
We do have Sectors, City, States and finanlly Our Country.

i would like to be able to set the states, the city,and the area or sector.
All that by scroll down menu.

Thats for the setting of address.
For shipping... I need to be able to put the shipping pirce by total weight and be able
to put a diferent prices (using Diferent Carriers other than UPS or DHL) to each sector or area of each city of
each state of each country. and also that customer can choose between air, water or earth transportation to each country.

Do you think its posible in prestashop?
thanks

To me the most important improvement PS could make is on the documentation. Think of how much time you've wasted searching this forum and scanning through repeated information. It seems like more than half the posts end up sending me to a post I've already seen. I agree with Cercamon, If anyone has used Drupal then they are familiar with the quality of information on community projects and core features, for both developers and users. I would vote for a Drupal style living documentation and community module centralization.

I really want to see couple of things in the nw prestashop versions.

1.Build in news - Pretty important for almost every shop, and really helpfull to SEO since posting news is the best solution for creating content when there are no new products to add. And as we all know, Content Is King in SEO.

2.Build in image gallery.

Not very important for every shop, but some clients really require it.

3. Skeleton themes - skeleton theme from wich we can more easily develope custom themes.

4. At least 3 more build in themes - Sometimes I just need to edit the default theme a little, change the images, and I get a cool looking theme with similar structure. I want to do this but to have an option to choose from 3-4 themes for the basic layout.

5.Build in options for grid or list view, dropdown top menu and other things that could save time and effords when starting a new project.

6.Flash sale functionality

7.More discount options

8.Revised one page checkout

AND the other cool stuff that a lot of shops add as xtra 3rd party modules. These things could be build in and working perfectly

This isn't really a feature but I would like to see more care taken when updating prestashop to not change the design so that old templates remain useable with future versions.

And one more thing

Prestashop needs a loyal clients discount system(maybe with different options) so our very loved regular customers will be even more regular.

I hope somebody of the staff see that topic again, really nice ideas from almost every post.

Most importantly a theme editor.. like to change colors on all the bars at once with a nice color picker. A way to change the background top, middle and footer each to be different if you want. A way to pick font color, backgrounds, borders and corners in each block with simple check boxes. You know - Dummy proof. This would save people many a headache and help more download your product. It would also prevent many problems I see here on the forum from newer users. I would still want to keep the live editor options to move around the blocks.

I would love a better product import/update module. Something that you could pull straight from excel, not have to convert to utf8, it would do it for you. It would also be cool if it could clean up on import things that could screw up your site such as characters other than letters numbers or minus signs on FRIENDLY URL field. Also a way to export the products including the ID numbers so you can pull you products down, edit how needed, add a few new ones if needed and just pull them back in to update, easy pleasey.

The option to put animated GIF's for category header images, rather than jpgs.

Lastly a simple pop up that works in 1.4

I have a suggestion (apologies if this is already mentioned).

As default, if there is only one payment option - perhaps instead of going to step 4 of the checkout to select the payment option - the customer should be redirected to the specific module page (effectivley skipping a page where they have little choice anyway) To expand on this further, there could even be an option in the back office to turn this on/off or something..

I personally think this would be great

-Product grid layout in default theme.

-Importing tons of products with attributes is a pain in the ass because of the time it consumes to get the combinations ready... IMPORT ist the single only one thing that pissess me off in otherwise AWSEOME presta Commerce system. Some simplier way to do this like in other ecommerce solutions would be welcome, something without the necessity of using quantity of combinations would help. I dunno.

-Some kind of product export in default presta system. I know its a huge problem and probably because of the combinations but it would help a lot of people ;)

Thanks and keep up the great work ;)

Hi, this is what I would like to see in Presta

Import CSV - make it work properly (if I import a 200 product CSV with image URLS, any server crashes to error 500)

Export - products and categories.

Remove products if they are not in stock - automatically, if a product goes out of stock, disable it from the catalog.

Thanks

• Like 1

Hi, this is what I would like to see in Presta

a PC configurator modual . So customers can design there own PC .

Can this be done ?

Many Thanks

Gary

Hi All

Aonther good free modual would be .

To be able to rotate the product images so customer can get a better ider of what they are buying

Is there one out there all ready ?

Thanks

Gary

a buit-in module - for custom forms with an option to link with product order page / checkout page

The ability to have CMS pages open up in a fancybox and only display the content of the CMS page.

The ability to add more tabs to individual product pages (i.e. for sizing charts, videos, etc).

• Like 1

I would like select the extensions files a costumer can or cannot upload.