Prestashop "downgrade" 1.6->1.5

Great success!

Just for information
http://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/266121-module-from-prestashop-to-prestashop-products-import-products-export-in-xml-or-csv-free/page-4?do=findComment&comment=1731201

For everyone who want to back to 1.5.6.2 right now!

1.6 is so annoying and just stu!@#. Who made this? Who remove so many usefull feaures and made 1.6 so unusable!? Who? Community maybe?

Biohazard/atomic green dashboard? Unreadable infos with lots of trash?

1.5.6.2 FTW!

edited by el patron, removed download link, see module link above for download.

• Like 1

Yeah, go and downgrade, and be back in few days saying: "I update modules and my dashboard doesn't work anymore" or something similiar.

If you don't like green theme you can easily change color in preferences of employee, and I see that new back-office has many new cool features, for merchants and especially for developers who can create better modules.

Let's be honest. Prestashop 1.6 its like Windows Vista without any Service Pack. Now is 100% immature with 110% unfriendly dashboard.

Prestashop 1.5.6.2 is mature version and still fresh. Responsivnes is not a problem for 1.5. Modules still can be developed.

Module updates can be easily off with little tpl or css fix

Lets wait for the new major 1.6 version and then we can talk.

1.6 is not worth yet to interest

PS. 1.6 dashboard even without green atomic glow on low resolution devices like 15.6 latops with 1366px width is a pain in a#$ to embrace the work with :(

Everything is so inflated...

And the main thing is default_bootstrap theme... Its not good starting point for nobody to develop nice looking own style template. Really big pain in a#$% unless You are a template developer for ThemeForest or other template selling plaform. In that case Prestashop 1.6 is a good money maker :)

Edited by kisweb (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Module and theme development is much easier on 1.6, for me 1.5.6 is not worth interest anymore, especially for me where I work only on themes for marketplaces.

Of course if someone has store on 1.5.6.2 there is no need to update it to new version but creation of new stores and base on 1.5.6.2 is terrible idea because your customer need to pay you one more time for making the theme compatible with PrestaShop 1.6

Module and theme development is much easier on 1.6, for me 1.5.6 is not worth interest anymore, especially for me where I work only on themes for marketplaces.

Of course if someone has store on 1.5.6.2 there is no need to update it to new version but creation of new stores and base on 1.5.6.2 is terrible idea because your customer need to pay you one more time for making the theme compatible with PrestaShop 1.6

I can't disagree with You. But what i can say for the customer who dont want to "play" anymore with 1.6?

"cheer up and crack the nut (1.6?)"?

Ha! Its not my idea for downgrade, but the real life situation! Maybe this is age barrier? Because my friends are almost 50+...

Edited by kisweb (see edit history)

It is recommended (officially by PS and logically by webmasters) to 1) create test system to validate update 2) create full back up of production shop 

relying on a 3rd party solution is only for those that do not follow best practice and which may not work for all occasions for all shop owners.  and certainly if issues using not supported well by community.

note: I'm sure if you wanted a different color than green, that could have easily been accomplished by posting in the forum. 

As for theme development, embracing new philosophy of 'above the fold' page render was a huge jump by development team, hats off to them for addressing real issues that all shop owners face.  Now we will see themes, when designed to support java bottom that 'significantly' decreases page render and makes a much more pleasurable visitor experience.

PS 1.6 is still marked as a "development" release and not production ready.  So upgrading or using it in a production website is foolish at this point.

Coding modules on PS 1.5 and 1.6 should be identical, hardly any changes were made to the module interface so I'm not sure I can agree with this statement

• Like 2

1.6 has given me a confidence drop in PS...  Even support is lacking. I guess as it matures it'll improve.

If 1.6 is still in development, why have it as the download on the main PS page? 

Thanks for tip.

• Like 1

PS 1.6 is still marked as a "development" release and not production ready.  So upgrading or using it in a production website is foolish at this point.

Coding modules on PS 1.5 and 1.6 should be identical, hardly any changes were made to the module interface so I'm not sure I can agree with this statement

And you did some modules for 1.6 or you just think so? For example - Helpers have many more opportunities. Did you know? Do you use them? 

There are many little things that just make your work easier, create interfaces, event handling, etc. 

PrestaShop v1.6.* is not a development version. Development versions are alpha, beta, rc.

This line is "stable", tested by the crowd on the fly. It would be very very nice to have PrestaShop testable and 100% under unit tests.

So much confusion, no one can tell wtf is going on :wacko:

Just one or many reason why OpenCart is catching up really fast!

I have no clue and frankly I don’t give a flying fat [censored] who manages this, but PrestaShop has got to get their act together to remain credible.. 

More to the point. If PrestaShop is still in Development like it is mentioned HERE  It needs to be Plastered all over the front page advising all visitors not to get sucked in to using a Development version by Downloading what is shown on the front page. 

Example:

A visitor comes along and on the front page of PrestaShop sees the big fat call to action button to Download Now version 1.6.0.8.
Spends the next 4 weeks reading forum posts asking for help and gets sweet f all replies. So s/he ends up spending all that time and latter discovers that they were tricked to use a development version. The only support is to pay for potential support. So it's not Free like it says on the Front Page too.

However! It’s quite simple to fix.  Remove version 1.6.0.8 from the front page ffs.

post-759659-0-61135800-1405507339_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

actually Prestashop defines PS v1.6.0.8 as developmental, and not to be used in production.  PS v1.4.11 and PS v1.5.6.2 are the only production ready versions

Sorry, but look at the front download page. It says:

Current Version is

PrestaShop v1.6.0.8

I don't see anything about "be carefull" or "development version". And under http://www.prestashop.com/en/developers-versions you can get, surprisingly, PrestaShop 1.6.0.8 (with notes? This is a test version for developers. Don't use it in a production website.).

And later on the page: We strongly recommend that you use the latest version of PrestaShop to build an online store. And the latest version is 1.6.0.8. Bingo.

Sorry, but look at the front download page. It says:

Current Version is

PrestaShop v1.6.0.8

I don't see anything about "be carefull" or "development version". And under http://www.prestashop.com/en/developers-versions you can get, surprisingly, PrestaShop 1.6.0.8 (with notes? This is a test version for developers. Don't use it in a production website.).

And later on the page: We strongly recommend that you use the latest version of PrestaShop to build an online store. And the latest version is 1.6.0.8. Bingo.

and you don't find it odd and confusing that there exists this contradiction? 

the issue here is that PS defines PS v1.6.0.8 as both developmental and production ready... well which one is it...

my experience tells me it is developmental, the number of issues and bug reports and complaints validates that it is not production ready. 

I know that even latest 1.6 version has at least RC quality. It was the same for 1.4 and 1.5 lines.

I am just surprised that from v1.6.0.5 the releases published on the download page are considered as stable, ready for production sites. I mean, it is not too fair for all those people and many many complaints are unpleasant. That's all.

typical of rant posts, while nothing wrong with them almost all posts have gone off topic from Original Post.

so the original topic was an upgrade, done improperly, i.e. not tested with no 'true fallback'.  main complaint was they did not like the green. everyone to their own .

if you would like to continue some part of this topic that is not related to OP,, please open a new topic.

if you upgrade then please follow official updating document

http://doc.prestashop.com/display/PS16/Updating+PrestaShop

topic closed