How to enable another root category

Hi everyone,

I'm testing prestashop 1.6 on a local machine and can't figure out how to assign a product to a root category (different than Home) as it is not available at all in Associations product menu. Only home category and its sub-categories are the option I have to select from.

I have two root categories: "Home" (the default one) and "Parts" (the newly created by me). Both contain sub-categories and all are set to Displayed.

In Categories page at the top of the page where it says "Disabled Categories" I have 1.

What am I missing here, I guess that probably in some Settings I need to specify which root category to be used, but I can't find it. How to enable another root category?

Thanks a lot

Just to add something to my confusion:

In the Prestashop guide says that multiple root categories are useful when I have multistore. May I create and use different root category-ies than the default Home?

What are actually the pros and cons of creating more root categories comparing to Home category with sub-categories as a product category structure?

Edited by venta7 (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

Quick, untidy and not recommended solution in 1.7 :)

modules/ps_categorytree/ps_categorytree.php, method getWidgetVariables

change

$category = new Category((int)Configuration::get('PS_HOME_CATEGORY'), $this->context->language->id);

to

$category = new Category(4, $this->context->language->id);

change 4 to cat id of your choice

In bo in module settings, 'Category root' was set to 'Home category''