Any progress on Poor Image Quality Issue?

Hi all,

I have searched and read through the posts that discuss the apparent very low JPG conversion compression levels Prestashop seems to generate for automatically sized images on the site. I strongly agree that the quality level is too low and the images look very rough... I understand that it is possible to overwrite the individual files in the relevant folder through ftp, however, for sites with many products and the fact that the filenames do not relate to the original filenames, doing this for every existing and new product just seems out of the question.

Images are crucially important on e-commerce sites... Good images are vital.

Has anyone had any breakthroughs, discovered more information or had success in changing the compression level used by Prestashop?

Yes thanks Rocky - I did do that upon reading about it in some of the other posts. Changed both those values to 100. I couldn't see it made a lot of difference. If I replace an image via ftp saved at a level of about 75, it looks way better than the image that Prestashop has created after both those values have been changed to the 100 value...

I find it hard to believe that the compression level is 86 or 90 - it looks a lot worse than that. If it was either of those, I don't think we would be seeing the complaints... I make a lot of images for the web and the sort of artefacting I'm seeing in the images created by Prestashop still wouldn't be seen in compression of 80 - 90.... I routinely use around 75 on some of my sites and don't see any hint of it....

images.inc.php is definitely the file with all the control... I tried changing those 2 values to 10 and regenerated the thumbnails and everything looks horrid :ahhh:

It just doesn't seem that the 100 value is producing the quality we would expect from a maximum value save...

• 4 weeks later...

The thinkbox images look fine on Firefox and Chrome. On IE it is a hit and miss. IE is ok if you have a full window. Reduced windows size results in poor image quality. Check my game accessories site out to see for yourself. I am not sure if this is the case for everybody. But this is a major issue for IE users. I hope some body can come up with a fix