can't upload jpg image to category or product

Hi there,  

I'm using prestashop 1.6  and since a couple of days i can't upload any jpg or gif images to the categories or products anymore.

the message wich appears is: format isnt recognized, it should be gif, jpg or png.

but i know 100% for sure that it is a jpg.   

Hope somebody can help here.

Regards,

Niek

Hi there,  

I'm using prestashop 1.6  and since a couple of days i can't upload any jpg or gif images to the categories or products anymore.

the message wich appears is: format isnt recognized, it should be gif, jpg or png.

but i know 100% for sure that it is a jpg.   

Hope somebody can help here.

Regards,

Niek

in other parts of shop you can upload this picture easily?

• Like 1

hi there,  no i cant upload the image to any part of the system.

i just tried to upload an image wich i already have on my site. and that also doesnt work.

so i think its an overall problem.

hope you can help here.

regards

Hi Vekia,

The permissions are all set correctly.  i also tried the comment BORIS 123 gave us (see above here)

This also doesnt change anything.   i still see a comment saying that prestashop doesnt recognized the format.

Maybe some other options i can try?

Regards,

Niek  

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I seem to have the same problem. The setup is Prestashop 1.6.0.8 and I cannot upload images, it will complain that the format is not recognized. I've verified that the following is in order:

- The relevant fixes from PSCSX-1944 seem to be in place in the code (expected, since it came from a 1.6.0.8 archive)

- Webserver is running PHP as a module, not as CGI or FastCGI

- PHP is allowed to upload files

- Webserver has ownership and permissions in place to write in the img/ directory and the img/p/ directory (including creating new subdirectories)

- Images concerned are not too large (tried a 3MB file but also a scaled 250k version)

- Images do not have 'complex' characters in filename, i.e. spaces, etc

Any ideas on where to look are appreciated.

Florian

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same problem...

Things worked OK in early versions however it stopped from around v1.5.6.0 or thereabouts when "Image slider for your homepage" module was introduced.  I recall, that instantly didn't allow to change or upload photos.

In my case, when "Add files" button is clicked, nothing happens.  It doesn't even bring up the list of files from my local computer.  Therefore, this is nothing to do with server side or permission settings of it.

After doing various tests, I discovered this was due to the browser. Certain browsers will not handle the new file adding system introduced at around v1.5.6.0 or shortly thereafter (sorry, I cannot remember the exact version but drastic change was introduced at around that time).

The browsers in question in my case are:
Safari for Mac 4.1.3 (latest being 7.0.5)
Firefox for Mac 3.6.28 (latest being 31)
Both of which shows the symptom described as above.  Due to the age of hardware used, these are the latest versions of browsers that will run on our machines and replacing the hardware is out of question for my client.

However, when a different browser, Omniweb 5.11.2 for Mac is used, it handled everything fine, because this is one of the latest range of browsers that would run on older hardware.

OK, in my case I managed to find a work around however, it would be nice for the prestashop developer to cater for older browsers, or at least detect older browsers running to switch the file uploading feature to a more basic type.  After all, even eBay's file uploading system caters of older browsers, allowing user to switch between "Basic" or "Advance" uploaders.

At the end of the day, when someone tries Prestashop using older browsers and unable to upload files, they will simply walk away and use some other platforms and that would be a shame as Prestashop offers so much.

• 4 months later...

Hi!

I am having issues uploading images too. 

Using a mac, and google chrome - I am unable to upload jpg images which have been saved for web (products that I had images taken in my own studio). The sizes are less than 300 kb. I tried using a different computer (Windows and Chrome, was able to upload images from the Windows computer without issue (as long as they were less than 400 kb - any bigger and they wouldn't work (presta shop said size limit exceeded)

on Windows (even though still smaller than 800kb upper limit) 

Then, I had images provided to me by another company (for products I am drop shipping - and as such did not shoot the images for) and they were jpg and alll different sizes (up to 500 kb) and all uploaded successfully from the mac. 

Then I went back to the Windows comp to add a few extra images which had been missed accidentally (taken in my own studio)- and was only able to upload 1 of the several images I tried uploading each time)... Before however this was not an issue uploading on this Windows computer.

I have tried saving for web, saving normally, with colour embedding, without colour embedding. I have no idea why they aren't working. The same images I then send to my web developer - and he uploads them without issue!

Some one please help this is driving me insane!!

Thanks in advance

Edited by elnazj (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Yes - hyphens. However they have always been present...the same hyphenated images uploaded successfully a few weeks ago onto the site via Windows and Chrome.

Also, I forgot to mention that when i upload via mac, one of the images (i usually try and upload 4 or 5 per prduct in one hit) works. The rest remain question marks. 

Thanks

That's a tough one...

The file name is not extremely long or anything?

Is your Mac set to hide the file extension in the Finder?  If so, try with that disabled i.e. show the full file extension and see it works?

I have seen cases where file extension was hidden and the file name was something like xxxxxx.jpg.bmp and that threw the system.  Best to keep it simple to xxxx.jpg.