Modify translations not working

I notice some mistakes in translations and I go to Modify translations > Installed modules translations and I try to change some wrong translated words but I get the message:
Cannot write to the theme's language file (/opt/bitnami/apps/prestashop/htdocs/themes/default-bootstrap/modules/socialsharing/translations/sr.php). Please check write permissions.
When I installed Prestashop I deleted superadmin [email protected] pass: bitnami and I create a new super admin with my user name and password. Is it maybe a problem that I do not have a write permission for translating language?

Hi,

you need to change permission of the file /opt/bitnami/apps/prestashop/htdocs/themes/default-bootstrap/modules/socialsharing/translations/sr.php  you can do that via FTP file manager like Filezilla or WinSCP, via your host file manager or via SSH using "chmod -R 755" (or 777). There is link that where discussing about right permission for the folder:

http://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/151650-right-folder-permissions/

Regards

Thank you for the answer, but I am totally new with everything and I do not know from where to start.

I host Prestashop on Azure and when I connect with FTP file manager to web site on Azure I do not see these folders that you write. I see only log files > git > deployment >trace  or  site > deplyments > locks > wwwroot. Only in trace folder  I found one file trace.xml.

If you can help. Thanks.

• 4 months later...

Yes I did in some, but there are other that the id does not exist. How I can get the id to put it inside the translation?

Example, I have to translate the next sentence: {l s='Blah blah' mod='modName'}  inside of a tpl file. How could I get the key for the $_MODULE dictionary?

Hi, I have the same problem, I tried to change the permissions but the folder socialsharing does not exists inside of the modules of my theme default-bootstrap.

Thanks so much in advance

And that exactly leads to the solution. The translation file is not in a modules subdirectory of your theme. When translating the module, don't choose the default option for select your theme, which is always "default-bootstrap". Click on dropdown and choose the option "core(no theme selected)" instead.

Edited by eleazar (see edit history)
  • Like 1

You are right! Thank you so much.

But now I have some sentences in english and before there were in spanish.

They are from modules. Like "other products in the same category" title is now in english and before it was not... Besides in the language settings the sentence is translated correctly. o.o I do not have any idea what happened.

Edited by Patri (see edit history)

Hi Patri,

what do you mean by "before"? Did you upgrade Prestashop? In this case missing translation are quite normal, unfortunately.

• This is the normal Prestashop behaviour: Every translation file in themes/<yourtheme>//modules/<modulexxx>/translations/  that exists in your themes directory one-ups the original file in /modules. Which means, if there is a module translation in your theme's dir, this has to be translated. If this module's translation file doesn't exist, you get the misleading error message that was mentioned in the first post of this thread. It has nothing to do with write permissions.

This is important, because it decides where you have to place your translations. E.g. if you fully translate a module's items in the core, and this module has a nearly empty translation file in your theme, every untranslated item will be displayed in English. So you better take a look into the Prestashop zip file to find out which modules exist in bootstrap theme. those translations have to take place by choosing the default translation theme option "default-bootstrap".

All others have to be translated with the option I mentioned above.

• Due to the specific translation management in Prestashop (and for some other reasons ;) ), every upgrade brings along a lot of changed translation IDs. You can see this by missing translations in the language files. I'm sorry but you have to manually add those missing translations. It wouldn't even help  to update the Spanish translations automatically from the Prestashop translation site because like many other translation files they are currently not complete.
Edited by eleazar (see edit history)