500 Internal Server Error - .htaccess and php value

Hi everyone,

Thanks for clicking on this topic  :rolleyes:  Amazingly by working through this issue I have managed to fix it myself.... Just thought I'd post this anyway incase others encounter something similar.

Shout out to the prestaforum for other posts which combined to tell me how to fix this!!!

Receiving the dreaded 500 Internal Server Error on both front and back office.

These are the steps I have now taken to fix this

1. Have turned on error reporting through FTP 

Open this file: config/defines.inc.php

find this line
define('_PS_MODE_DEV_', false);
change to look like this:
define('_PS_MODE_DEV_', true);

2.  Then I logged into Cpanel and found error log where it says things like:

/home2/swiftrem/public_html/.htaccess: Invalid command 'php_value', perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration

3.  I have emailed my hosting provider to ask them to check if this is on: As per http://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/302013-500-internal-server-error-after-install/3.

• magic_quotes_gpc = off
  • memory_limit = 128M min. (better 256M) (set at 512
  • max_execution_time = 300
  • max_input_time = 300
  • upload_max_filesize = 20M
  • post_max_size = 20M
  • max_input_vars = 5000
  • allow_url_fopen = on
  • safe_mode = off
  • cURL - for Paypal and other services with API can to be work
  • mod_rewrite = on

5.  Because the error in cpanel says something about .htaccess and invalid comand php value, I am narrowning down the error.

6.  In Cpanel I find a section called files, where I find the htaccess file, where it says that it was modified yesterday and it's 2.52KB permissions 0644, I then view this and it lists some things ( can I post what it says on the forum or is this private information?)

7.  I copied the .htaccess file on FTP to the desktop, then I deleted the .htaccess file via FTP.  Go to the website --->  Yes! It loads the homepage, however, if I go to any of the pages, it reads

8. Not Found

The requested URL /content/10-fixed-price was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

9.  Access sites back office with the .htaccess deleted - it now loads with the htaccess deleted,  find that the products are there still, dispite the front office 404.  The CMS pages appear in the back office but not front office.

10.  With the .htaccess file not on the site via FTP, I login to CPanel to check the error log for the 404

Various errors read that 'file does not exist' 'Cannot allocate memory: couldn't create child process: /opt/suphp/sbin/suphp'

11.  Next I go to preferences SEO & URLs in the back office, scroll down to 'Friendly URLs'  I turn it off -> save, then go back there and turn it back on -> save.  The idea of this is that it will automatically regenerate your .htaccess file for you.

12.  Navigate to website!!! WOO HOO!!! NOW WORKING!!!  :rolleyes:  B) 

13.  Go back to the FTP manager, change the error reporting back to false (basically undo step 1)

14.  Have a look in the FTP manager and the new .htacess is sitting there doing its thing.

15. Check site in front office, everything is now loading fine.  

16.  Look back in error log in cpanel, no new errors are listed

SO success, thanks to the forums once again especially Vekia and http://www.prestashop.com/blog/en/the-500-internal-server-error-explained-solved/

Swifter.

Edited by swifter (see edit history)
  • Like 1