States/Counties

In te last week I have had several potential new UK customers who have been unable to register, because the register process is asking for a state instead of a county. Country shows up first in the registration process, and  United Kingdom is set up for counties, not states, and as far as I know, I've had no problem with this previously. I've just been contacted 3 times in the last week, with the same problem 

I have told the customer to clear coolies, and try again, making sure the country is correct first, and that seems to do the trick, but I'm sure there must be other potential customers I am losing, who are put off by this. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to make this clearer please?

Also, I can't find where I set the counties up for UK. Can anyone advise on that please?

One more thing. Is it possible to change the words on the 'Bank Wire' payment method to 'Direct Transfer'. UK people don't understand 'Bank Wire' but it is exactly the same as direct transfer, so would be much better if it were worded that way.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help