Don't want to show shipping carriers on Virtual Products

Hello,

I am barely new to prestashop and have figured out most of how to setup and configure everything. There is one thing, however, that bugs me a lot and I don't seem to find any good answer to this issue.

My shop offers both "virtual" products and products that need to be shipped to customers. Now, I have added several shipping options depending on the location of the buyers and the delays in getting their order.

My problem is, when it is a virtual product, I don't want the shipping options to show as the shipping is free since the "product" is sent by email, but it keeps showing all the shipping options available.

Is there a way to remove the shipping options for virtual products? 

Thanks for your help

Not sure what version of Prestashop you are using, and which theme, but your theme should be checking if the cart only contains virtual products, and then hiding the carrier section.  You still need the "carrier step" if you want to support gift and terms and conditions.

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

I use Prestashop version 1.5.6.1. I tried the 1.6 version but with my hosting services, it caused too many troubles and I was unable to do anything with it. As for the theme I use the basic theme with some modification I did (basically only colors and removing some of the modules.)

I even try with the basic theme given without removing or changing anything and I had the same issue. Keeps giving all the various shipping options for virtual products only.

I tried to remove the carriers and re-add them one by one again, and remove the products and re-add them as well without any changes...

Actually I have even more trouble as it doesn't seem to "read" the shipping weight either now...I tested with some products with 0.001 LBS (which is suppose to be 15$ for shipping up to 1LBS in Canada) and instead of showing 15$, it shows the next one at 35$...doesn't make any sense.

I'm not sure what you have done, but I just tested on PS v1.5.6.1 with default theme.  I have tested both one page and 5 page checkout.

If the only product in the cart is a virtual product, then the carriers are not displayed.  Of course the shipping "step" is shown, but I am NOT prompted to select carriers.  The only thing displayed is the terms and conditions.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what you have done, but I just tested on PS v1.5.6.1 with default theme.  I have tested both one page and 5 page checkout.

If the only product in the cart is a virtual product, then the carriers are not displayed.  Of course the shipping "step" is shown, but I am NOT prompted to select carriers.  The only thing displayed is the terms and conditions.

Hello,

Well I have done nothing as far as I am concerned...all I did was to add a new product (virtual) and test on the website to seehow it shows...and all the shipping options appear. 

• 1 year later...

Hello,

Well I have done nothing as far as I am concerned...all I did was to add a new product (virtual) and test on the website to seehow it shows...and all the shipping options appear. 

take  screen shot of product (virtual tab)...if this is added as virtual product then there should be no shipping, we assume.  I only sell virtual and have not had this issue but maybe there is issue when one has shippable goods also defined on their shop.  I don't know why it would matter.  But if you are getting stuck then use screen shots to show different information that would help.  I use snagit but there are others.

• 2 years later...
Just now, PatriceVigier said:

Hello,

I experience the same thing with 1.60 the default carrier is shown in the cart exit as well as the delivery address.

This is with the standard theme and it is not logical.

Do you have any idea how to fix this "problem"?

Thank you

I looked at the configuration, no options...

7 hours ago, PatriceVigier said:

I experience the same thing with 1.60 the default carrier is shown in the cart exit as well as the delivery address.

What exact version of PS 1.6?  I do not have this experience.  If the cart only contains virtual products, you would not be asked for a delivery address.

1 hour ago, PatriceVigier said:

My version is 1.6.1.20

So i see the issue here. 

When a new customer record is created, Prestashop is showing a form to create the delivery address along with the customer record during OPC.  There is an option in the back office Preferences > Customer page called "Registration process type" which you can change to "only account creation", but this does not appear to change the OPC flow.

However once the customer record is created, the checkout flow does not require you to provide a delivery address, nor does it ask you to choose a carrier.  In fact it tells you "No carrier is needed for this order". 

So you could try to change your themes order-opc-new-account.tpl so that if the cart "is virtual" it does not display the delivery address form.

On 8/19/2018 at 2:01 PM, bellini13 said:

So i see the issue here. 

When a new customer record is created, Prestashop is showing a form to create the delivery address along with the customer record during OPC.  There is an option in the back office Preferences > Customer page called "Registration process type" which you can change to "only account creation", but this does not appear to change the OPC flow.

However once the customer record is created, the checkout flow does not require you to provide a delivery address, nor does it ask you to choose a carrier.  In fact it tells you "No carrier is needed for this order". 

So you could try to change your themes order-opc-new-account.tpl so that if the cart "is virtual" it does not display the delivery address form.

Thank you for your answer.

My shop is already setup "only account creation"

The problem is that I offer virtual and standard product, therefore, sometime I need a carrier, sometime not.

My feeling is that Prestashop should not offer carriers if it is a virtual product.

Right now I associate a virtual carrier to each virtual product but this is not very "clean"...

Hi, how about just creating an 'instant download' carrier and then for each virtual product (assuming you don't have zillions) associate that  carrier by editing product-->shipping.  You can then brand that carrier for example 'immediate download' etc.

When we associate product level shipping it excludes all other carriers.

happy selling, el

Edited by El Patron (see edit history)

54 minutes ago, PatriceVigier said:

Not working for me with the default theme, then I have to find why....

Thank you

I don't know exactly what you may have done or configured, but again if there are only virtual products in the cart, then Prestashop will not show a carrier.  In fact, Prestashop shows a message that a carrier is not required.

So I suspect you have made some type of change or configuration that is causing this issue.

On 8/21/2018 at 5:48 PM, El Patron said:

Hi, how about just creating an 'instant download' carrier and then for each virtual product (assuming you don't have zillions) associate that  carrier by editing product-->shipping.  You can then brand that carrier for example 'immediate download' etc.

When we associate product level shipping it excludes all other carriers.

happy selling, el

Hello,

Thank you for your answer.

It is what I have done but it is not "logical", this behavior should be handled bu PS.

Have a nice day

On 8/21/2018 at 5:51 PM, bellini13 said:

I don't know exactly what you may have done or configured, but again if there are only virtual products in the cart, then Prestashop will not show a carrier.  In fact, Prestashop shows a message that a carrier is not required.

So I suspect you have made some type of change or configuration that is causing this issue.

Hello,

Thank you for your time.

After my last answer I had the idea to disable non Prestashop module (admin menu: "Advanced parameters==>performances") and the Prestashop behavior is correct when I do that, no shipping company proposed when I check out.

I now have to find what module causes the problem!

Sincerely