Upgrade module at Addons

tuk66

Hi Turek!

PrestaShop certified agencies have the possibility to sell an "Update option" along with the module, on PrestaShop Addons. Then, all major updates are available in their customers' back-office for 1 or 2 years, depending on the option that was subscribed. Minor updates are accessible for an unlimited period of time.

When an Addons contributor is not certified, all minor updates for their modules are accessible for an unlimited period of time as well, but customers are not eligible to free major updates.

I am forwarding your suggestion to add these explanations to our FAQ and T&C to the Addons team, thanks for your continued feedback! :)

Xavier and Vladimir,

I'm having a really, really, really bad day!

I have found the new module on presta-addons.com in my order history (while i was searching for somekind of an upgrade button) I apologize for my foolishness and my inability to think!

Thank you both for your time and effort to help a dork like me!

Jaivy

I have found the new module on presta-addons.com in my order history (while i was searching for somekind of an upgrade button) I apologize for my foolishness and my inability to think!

You know, it is a new 1.6 feature. You can see the "Update it!" button in BO Modules when you are logged at Addons.

It doesn't matter if you purchased the module there, even it doesn't matter if the module upgrade can corrupt your files. When you click the button then you will see "The following module(s) were upgraded successfully:" and the same button will appear again - because nothing was upgraded. As I wrote, a nice new feature.

P.S. I have answered 50 times why this button doesn't work for my module.

• 5 weeks later...

But they were not free updates for life?

I can not download it from the addons panel

Totti: you have the impression that upgrades are "free for life".  Why do you have this impression?  Did you read that somewhere?

Prestashop's response is that if the Module Author declares the new version as "Major", then the customer must purchase the module again.  It will not be provided for free...

This topic was raised because Prestashop fails to address this concern.  It is now a month later and ...

1) The FAQ page still does not include this information

http://addons.prestashop.com/en/content/1-faq

2) The terms and conditions have still not been updated...

http://addons.prestashop.com/TandC%20Addons%20customers%20the%2005-03-2013.pdf

It is indeed an old topic.

Now, when a contributor submits a module, they can choose how they want to make module updates available for their customers, with clear explanations of what it implies for both parties.

The FAQ section is kind of more customer-oriented, so we thought a contributor's middle-office was an even better place to include this information.

We've asked contributors who recently uploaded a new module, and they seem pretty happy about it :) Tell me how it goes for you Michael!

@Xavier: The problem is that PS does not inform the buying customers of these rules. 

The FAQ and Terms and Conditions (which are for buying customers) do not provide any details that state they may have to purchase their module again.

That is the issue here...

Old topic?

I haven't seen any changes. Only annoyed customers.

Look at http://addons.prestashop.com/en/billing-invoicing-prestashop-modules/2011-m4-pdf-extensions.html and tell me where the customer can find information about upgrades?

Did you recently upload a module? Cause that part changed quite a lot in the past 6 months, we improved your middle office and we feel like it's much more user-friendly. We hope it meets your expectations as a contributor. You can't possibly dislike our entire work, can you? ;)

First matter we felt urgent to address was informing you, so you could inform your customers. That's what I explained a couple posts earlier. 

I understand that you think we should give more complete information to customer when they visit the Addons marketplace before they buy. Can you forward me complaints you get from these customers, please? It would be very helpful, in order to identify the exact actions we should take.

Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

The problem with major upgrades remains!

Customers still ask for major upgrade because this option is not free and they can download old versions only.

Is there a change to change Addons site and say the truth? Something like "Sorry, no free upgrade because of this is a major upgrade". Or is the plan to answer thousands of questions about it?

• 2 months later...

Just inform buyers on buying the addon that its until next release of the sorce.

So we can choose to buy or not from that seller. I needed that addon, when i was so stupid to update my website, i have to buy it again for $99. Or choose to spend $99 to adapt the built-in features.

Or you can just inform the buyer where we can buy it to get the updates, "if it exists another site to buy the addon".

I am so stupid to think that ppl are not unwilling to pay for your works, but since its automatic update functions on built-in addons, its nice to know what addons u payed for you have to re-purchase.

Its actually some addons you get updates on, even when the sorce is updated. So who can know????