My Worldpay module was removed without a reason

modulesmarket

Hello,

I've been selling WorldPay module for about a year. I had more that 60 licenses sold and didn't get a single complain. Now, when I wanted to update the module to version 1.6, it was removed from the Addons without any information from Prestashop. After a contact with the support it turned out that there cannot be two the same modules in the Addons marketplace and that's why they cannot keep my module.

I created the Worldpay module, because many people were complainig on Worldpay module created by Prestashop. My module was way cheaper (almost quarter of the Prestashop's price), and what's more important had a lot more features even most basic that I think should be implemented in such a module. Especially from the transaction security point of view. In my opinion, that what Addons team did is unfair and I'm very disappointed with that fact.

Is there any chance to get my module back on Addons?

Radek

• Like 1

I completely agree. When I needed help getting Prestashop and Worldpay to work together I was very dubious about the official Worldpay module by Prestashop because [a] it was very expensive and  there was a distinct lack of information about the module. I eventually purchased the alternative module by Radek and it has revolutionised our business; not just because it was very cost effective by comparison, but also because the ongoing support and development of the module has been fantastic!

There is absolutely no reason for Prestashop to remove what has shown to be an excellent, working, and well supported module from their Addons marketplace!

Please re-instate the module as I know plenty of other users especially here in the UK who will find Radek's module most useful for integrating Worldpay with their Prestashop.

Chris

Edited by somesy (see edit history)

I am shocked and disappointed to hear that the module has been removed from the store. I always got the feeling that Prestashop supported the developer community but this decision seems like a big conflict of interest to me.

After reading the feedback and reviews of the both modules and weighing up the cost, I recommended Radek's module to my customer. My customer was very happy with the savings and I was very impressed with Radek's excellent support. What's not to like?

I don't get it Prestashop.Radek develops a top quality module which he sells and supports for a number of years on your Addon store and then you suddenly pull it. Why? What's wrong with some healthy competition? 

Please reinstate the module so that others can also benefit from a great product that comes with excellent support.

• Like 1

Hi Radek,

First, I want to underline how much we appreciate your work and the quality of the modules you develop. We genuinely think that you're a great contributor for the Addons marketplace.

But as you know (we exchanged quite a few emails), Addons stays the sole retailer of payment modules on its marketplace. We did validate your module at some point, but this wasn't meant to last as it wasn't supposed to be on Addons in the first place... As you know, and as it is stated in our marketplace ToS, Addons has the final say on module contributions. For validations and possible removals. The WorldPay module that you developed clearly was a good module, and we will soon release the new version for the WorldPay module that we too have been selling for a year and a half.

Again, I sincerely understand your disappointment and I hope that you understand that this has nothing to do with the quality of your module or yourself, for which and for whom we have the highest consideration.

You can email me anytime at xavier.dutertre(at)prestashop.com.

Best,

[Important edit: writing this answer wasn't natural and it certainly doesn't feel right to condone community module removals (especially one of high quality like Radek's Worldpay module), even less in such bad conditions. I and the team met and discussed the matter with the Community's success in mind - and I mean the Community's success only - and we decided that the Addons marketplace should revise its position. Please read Benjamin's answer below.]

Given the nature of community-oriented open-source platforms like PrestaShop's, I feel obligated as a developer AND end-user to weigh in here... 

First, given PrestaShop's place in the ecomm world right now and the need to grow and expand (again, as a community-oriented platform), reducing choices for end users by eliminating solutions that the community has developed is going to hurt on multiple levels. 

Second, the precedent set here is as alarming as the specific scenario being discussed. And that's not just because Radek was originally approved for what we're now being told was against the rules to begin with... another issue altogether, however related to this as it may be. But the big issue with this precedent is that now the entire development community can no longer be sure whether their future efforts, often done purely for the love/good of PrestaShop, will have been futile or not. 

In other words, in addition to the points I'm trying to make here, what's next? Will Shipping Modules not developed by PrestaShop no longer be allowed on the Add On store? What about modules for other 3rd party services that PrestaShop may get "buy out" offers from in the future? 

To reiterate, the long term problem is that this all goes against the open-source, community driven nature of the platform, which is a scary thought for those of us who rely on it. 

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to update everyone on this situation, and our mistake. 

This was a mistake, a huge misunderstanding and technical and/or human error on our part. Yes, we are having a new version of the Worldpay module but we are not removing any competing community module.It's not something we have ever done, and it's not something we will do. 

PrestaShop grows with the community and we are thankful for all the support and contributions that the community has made for us. We would not be where we are without you, we know this. 

Radek's module will be reinstated tomorrow. We will look into the technical and/or human error with the removal of Radek's module and take steps to ensure this was a one-time error. 

I can speak for all of PrestaShop when I say that we are truly sorry for the misunderstanding. Thank you all for your perspectives on this business issue. I hope we all can breathe a big sigh of relief knowing that this was not our intention. 

We will give a more detailed update tomorrow.

Best Regards,

Benjamin

• Like 5