Cloudflare bad for Etags?

Catastrofik

Hi, 

First of all, sorry for my english, i'm used to write in french section of the forum... 

On my VPS, in my apache2.conf i removed Etags with 

Header unset ETag
FileETag None

In order to speed up my wordpress and prestashop. It worked, i had almost an perfect score in Yslow "Configure entity tags (ETags)"

until i re-activate cloudflare...

When Cloudflare is Active, Etag becomes a problem again except on wordpress where i still have "A".

When i turn cloudflare Off on my prestashop domain, Etag becomes green again and Yslow told me that he is perfectly configurated.

Is that a cloudflare problem or prestashop problem ? For now i prefer having cloudflare on because it's more efficient that having a perfect Etags score but i would like to have both green !

Any ideas ? Thank you

Edited by Catastrofik (see edit history)

I personally would not use cloudflare for speeding up a site. You should try maxcdn or metacdn. 

In using cloudflare, I don't believe the speed increases they advertise are a true reflection of the actual speeds. At the same time you are relying on servers that are constantly attacked too. 

I'm searching an other CDN, i will try maxcdn and metacdn i wondering if i should try a french CDN... Cloudfare has a big advantage : the price !

Do you think cloudfare can impact the Etag setting ? Maybe Yslow reads Etags added by cloudfare ? (but why does it work with my WP)

"Maybe Yslow reads Etags added by cloudfare ?

We don't add Etags. We aren't using it to serve static content, so we don't get them (we cache by file extension).

What I think is happening:

nginx drops ETags for everything it gzips, so that may be on items that we're gzipping. RFC says that strong ETags should be used only for content that's exactly the same (byte-for-byte), and gzip contains timestamps, so that's not the case with gzip.

I just checked, yesterday i had 58 componenents with misconfigured Etags, this morning i have only 20 (still enough to have a F note)

And these files are only .jpg and .gif

It's like cloudflare was doing something since yesterday, i mean, why it could be decreasing by itself ?

I have more than 5000 images, do you think cloudflare is still checking files or something ?