in setting==>SEO&URL

in the last section (botton) in 1line you have 

{category:/}{id}-{rewrite}{-:ean13}.html

change to 

{category:/}{rewrite}{-:ean13}.html

@++

loulou66

error

Keyword "{id}" required for route "product_rule" (rule: "{category:/}{rewrite}{-:ean13}.html")
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

All modules that suppose to remove id from url seems the same. All of them require to use .html at the end of produt url & all of them require to use a / at the end of category page.

Do you know any module that is fully functional to manage my SEF urls and pass above restrictions?

unfortunately not, the only thing I can think about is modifying the routes class and htaccess to achieve a custom result :(

I see, at least this way i ll stop checking around. For the recond, i believe thats a shame for a so popular ecommerse cart. Full functional SEF management is a must have nowadays.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

They seem to leave out obviously important features that you would expect to be there by default, and should be.

Like for example, I can see an option to set minimum product order, yet there's no option to set maximum product order.

That just doesn't make sense to me, unless they left it out so that developers could create a module to do the job.

Edited by sounds (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

They seem to leave out obviously important features that you would expect to be there by default, and should be.

Like for example, I can see an option to set minimum product order, yet there's no option to set maximum product order.

That just doesn't make sense to me, unless they left it out so that developers could create a module to do the job.

you've got right, it was necessary to develop such addon, and feature sounds like it should be in PS by default. sadly speaking - it isnt.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys! 

Found the module that is free, removes all the IDs and even .html from product pages: 

https://github.com/ZiZuu-store/zzCleanURLs

It seems that this one is very similar to https://github.com/wayann/PrestaShop-modules-CleanURLs as both of these were forked from https://github.com/Lebioda/PrestaShop-modules-CleanURLs. I chose the first one mentioned only because it has the most recent commits.

Finally, a nice www.myshop.com/category/product link and free of charge! Spread the word!

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Hey guys! 

Found the module that is free, removes all the IDs and even .html from product pages: 

It seems that this one is very similar to https://github.com/wayann/PrestaShop-modules-CleanURLs as both of these were forked from https://github.com/Lebioda/PrestaShop-modules-CleanURLs. I chose the first one mentioned only because it has the most recent commits.

Finally, a nice www.myshop.com/category/product link and free of charge! Spread the word!

I've tried to install zzCleanURLs but I'm getting errors when set settings as the author show in the module page: Keyword "{id}" required for route "product_rule" (rule: "{category:/}{rewrite}")

I'm using PS 1.6.1.2

Someone can help me removing IDs from url?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

and what happens when you need to rename the product?  By not having the ID in the URL, you just killed your page ranking, or you just created a rewrite maintenance nightmare..

ask your self this... why do you think the ID needs to be removed from the URL?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Hi 

it's work perfect with prestashop 1.6.1.4.

You must:

1. install the  module

2. got to Seo&Url,  delete {id} and remove Friendly url (ignore errors) and Save.

3.  Go to Perfomance and Clear Cache

4. active Friendly url

Done!

Sorry for my english...   :P  :P

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

and what happens when you need to rename the product?  By not having the ID in the URL, you just killed your page ranking, or you just created a rewrite maintenance nightmare..

We're coming from OpenCart that made this easy - all our products were on a domain.com/category/partnumber path. Our part number used here is our company's unique part number for each product, so we want to keep the paths the same.

The problem coming to PS is that our part numbers have leading 0s (PS removes them in the ID field), and some also have letters in them (PS also removes them in the ID). So because ID is forced in the URL this just creates a mess for us.

The best solution in our case would be the ability to use the "reference number" in the URL instead of ID, so it wouldn't break our part numbering system.

As it is I have to investigate 3rd party modifications that I hope won't cause other problems.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We're coming from OpenCart that made this easy - all our products were on a domain.com/category/partnumber path. Our part number used here is our company's unique part number for each product, so we want to keep the paths the same.

The problem coming to PS is that our part numbers have leading 0s (PS removes them in the ID field), and some also have letters in them (PS also removes them in the ID). So because ID is forced in the URL this just creates a mess for us.

The best solution in our case would be the ability to use the "reference number" in the URL instead of ID, so it wouldn't break our part numbering system.

As it is I have to investigate 3rd party modifications that I hope won't cause other problems.

Finally, a good justification for removing the ID's from the URL in Prestashop.  Thanks for sharing.  I can definitely understand why you would need this, as you are coming from a different platform that used different URL patterns.

Why you dont put a letter or a number in front of your part Number. the rest of the number can be untouched. So you don t need to make any changes.

regards

manfred

not working for me in prestashop 1.6.1.4.

I follow all steps, clean cache, disable/enable friendly url, after page refresh all {id} keywords are back.

any ideeas?

I assume you did all this?

----------------

INSTALLATION

Install the module from the Backoffice (administration panel), download the release ZIP file (zzcleanurls.zip) as it already contains the right folder name (zzcleanurls, not zzcleanurls-version_x.y.z !)

In the modules tab, click on add a new module. Click on Browse to open the dialogue box letting you search your computer, select the ZIP file then validate the dialogue box. Finally click on Upload this module.

Make sure your SEO and URL settings are as follows:

This is MANDATORY

• products: {category:/}{rewrite} (you can add .html at the end)
  • categories: {categories:/}{rewrite}/
  • manufacturers: manufactures/{rewrite}
  • suppliers: suppliers/{rewrite}
  • CMS page: info/{rewrite} (you can add .html at the end)
  • CMS category: info/{rewrite}/
  • modules: modules/{module}{/:controller}

You can replace words such as "info", "suppliers", etc with whatever you want, given that it does not conflicts with a category name

Remember to

• clear the browser cache
  • clear PS cache (under smarty -> cache and smarty -> compile)

---------------------

One other thing that helped me when I got error message is to throw away (on the server in the cache-folder)  the complete folder  "smarty" AND the file "class_index.php"

Then maybe turn off friendly URL (in SEO&URL's) save and then turn it ON again.

Maybe that helps you too.

zzCleanURLs worked well for us, it allowed us to keep our old domain.com/category/partnumber path. Just a bit worried about it breaking in future platform updates. Could get messy.

I hope PS becomes more flexible with this in the future. If IDs can't have leading 0s or letters I'd like it to allow reference numbers in their place in URLs.

Why you dont put a letter or a number in front of your part Number. the rest of the number can be untouched. So you don t need to make any changes.

regards

manfred

We considered something like that, but it breaks our old URLs, could lead to confusion, and letters can't be in the IDs which we need.

Yes, I follow all steps, but after page refresh all ID are back in url

conform with this note id* is required

There are several available keywords for each route listed below; note that keywords with * are required!

I use PS 1.6.1.4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After long and hard work tying over and over again with a payed module (advancedURL) I could not get it to work without the .html (in Prestashop 1.6.1.4).

And yes! praize for the free module mentioned above by Bradas, it worked immediatly:

Prestashop module "ZiZuu Clean URLs"

I guess the best things come for free.

I am unable to install the ZiZuu Clean URLs module. I downloaded the zip and installed it thought the backend, but when its finished uploading it says "The module was successfully downloaded."   but it doesnt populate in the modules list. I even tried uploading it via FTP and it still wont populate. 

Could anyone assist me with this?

HI

with the zip file of Github you must

1°) download the file
2°) uncompress it on your computer

3°) open the folder uncopressed you find one folder with the same name

4°) rename this folder without -master

5°) upload on you ftp with fillezilla in module folder of your PS

6°) you can now see the module in module page of your BO

@++

Loulou66

HI

with the zip file of Github you must

1°) download the file

2°) uncompress it on your computer

3°) open the folder uncopressed you find one folder with the same name

4°) rename this folder without -master

5°) upload on you ftp with fillezilla in module folder of your PS

6°) you can now see the module in module page of your BO

@++

Loulou66

I did this exactly. I even tried renaming the folder, zipping it back up and then uploading it in the back office. Still not showing up. Anything other ideas?

Hey guys! 

English: It works perfectly in PS version 1.6

Portuguese: Funciona perfeitamente na versão PS 1.6

Espanish: Funciona perfectamente en PS versión 1.6

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You might not understand why, but at the same time, all other CMS-es make efforts to avoid displaying IDs and they all succeeded.

The "pretty URL" concept it's been around for quite a while, surprised you are not familiar with it.

How would you kill your page ranking by removing a numerical ID? On the contrary, it's a good SEO move to have clean URLs

Edited by bg17aw (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Finally, a good justification for removing the ID's from the URL in Prestashop.  Thanks for sharing.  I can definitely understand why you would need this, as you are coming from a different platform that used different URL patterns.

OpenCart it's just another e-commerce CMS. You seem to miss the point, which is getting rid of the IDs in the URLs, in a direct competitor for Prestashop.

You have to wonder, if they can do it and include it in the system, why can't Prestashop do the same thing

The only thing I have to wonder is WHY anyone feels the need to remove the ID.  There is no benefit for doing it

How would you kill your page ranking by removing a numerical ID?

Because when you change this product, which will now have a different URL, you will either lose your page ranking, or you will need to create re-write rules and maintain them.. have fun with that

On the contrary, it's a good SEO move to have clean URLs

That is opinion, and there is nothing factual about that

The only thing I have to wonder is WHY anyone feels the need to remove the ID.  There is no benefit for doing it

Because when you change this product, which will now have a different URL, you will either lose your page ranking, or you will need to create re-write rules and maintain them.. have fun with that

That is opinion, and there is nothing factual about that

You seem to assume everybody asking for this already has a website, already has products on the site, and those product pages are already promoted everywhere and have high rank.

Most people wonder why their links start with numbers, coming from other CMS-es smart enough not to do that.

I would love to hear more about the problems with re-write rules, if you care to share, but keeping in mind we are starting a new website (or a relatively recently released one).

As for SEO impact, you state your own opinions, there is nothing factual about yours either.

But common sense tells us a clean URL is easier to understand for a human, quicker to read etc.

And anything optimized for humans is considered a positive signal for Google, hence SEO impact is there. 

The last two sentences might answer your question about why remove them. One could ask "why keep them" ? Why is it so important for you to have them?

Edited by bg17aw (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

Everybody with problems in this aerea:

Go to advanced parameters; -> performance, scroll down to: debugmode; -> check that the 'slide' "disable all overrides" is set to NO

(When you do an automatic upgrade, this switch can be turned to yes)

Took me endless time to find this simple thing, thank you Milos (MyPresta)!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

as a developer of pretty clean urls i can suggest to use mine addon that:

- works with prestashop 1.7 and allows to remove attribute id from product url, and remember selected attribute (other modules do not remember selected attribute if you will switch it on product page!)

- works with prestashop 1.7 and allows to use customization fields (other modules do not remember selected attribute when you fill out customization field)

- allows to use duplicated names of categories and products (module analyse the structure of urls and build product / category pages based on url structure - so you can use duplicated names)

• 8 months later...

Magento and Shopify both don't add product ids.

It is really embarrassing that in 2017 we're still adding product ids to the URL. It's ugly and not user friendly.

In my opinion this is currently one of the biggest arguments against Prestashop.

Even Woocommerce has better product urls than this!

On 3/26/2018 at 8:41 AM, wutever0 said:

It is really embarrassing that in 2017 we're still adding product ids to the URL. It's ugly and not user friendly.

Most large ecommerce sites do however.

Should amazon, walmart, target etc... all be embarrassed because they add product Ids to their URLs? 

On 27/03/2018 at 7:39 PM, bellini13 said:

Should amazon, walmart, target etc... all be embarrassed because they add product Ids to their URLs? 

OK. So how exactly bad it is to have ID's in the url? 

On 3/27/2018 at 7:39 PM, bellini13 said:

In a large eCommerce site where there are literally thousands of products yes that makes sense because there's just too much complexity to bother about pretty pink addresses on top and the general focus is something else entirely.

If I ever need to build a site like that I won't be using PrestaShop anyway.

But when all you have is 34 products it's really ugly to have domain.com/categ1/05-my-product.html. It's so typically PrestaShop.

I also believe that it is a good sign when you are not able to identify a platform just by looking at it. The more generic a site looks the more professional impression that it gives.

37 minutes ago, wutever0 said:

In a large eCommerce site where there are literally thousands of products yes that makes sense because there's just too much complexity to bother about pretty pink addresses on top and the general focus is something else entirely.

being large or small, or having 34 or thousands has no bearing on this.  Prestashop can be used by small, medium or large stores, I have seen them all, and Prestashop includes a solution that works for all.  You can freely choose to modify Prestashop to remove the IDs, that your choice as a merchant.

But to say it is embarrassing, or to say that Prestashop should cater to only "small" merchants like yourself because you only have 34 products is a pretty silly reason

Lastly, for all those arguing that this is impacting your SEO, its not... Search engines do not care that your URLs contain IDs.  If they did, then all of those big companies would not be at the top of the search results.

• Like 1

As already told several times before also in other same topics. There is no SEO impact on that. If you are using ID's or not this does not make any difference for SERP's. For Prestashop it is more secure to don't remove that ID's because Prestashop is built-up on this architecture. It needs the ID's. It only works WITH this ID's. The ID's are a how the name induces an identification-no. which is unique for to identify a category, a product, a customer or what else in the specific database table. By removing them you will have the risk, if it is bad removed, to crash completely your shop.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

So I've come into this conversation a bit late, and I think I may have been convinced NOT to be concerned about the product/page IDs in my URLs... BUT... I think I may be getting penalized in some way (maybe for keyword stuffing) because my product URLs also contain my category string - ie: {category:/}{rewrite}-{id}.html

I'm seriously thinking about changing that to {rewrite}-{id}.html and purchasing a 301 redirect module, if I can find one that would automagically create the 301 upon detection.

My google search console reports that out of nearly 9,000 products indexed, only 57 of them rank at position 1.

Thoughts?

• 1 year later...
On 5/10/2016 at 12:17 AM, rocking_viju said:

hi ,

i have a problem with url it not taking as direct domain address instead its taking with PrestaShop folder

now i get - http://rupeesstore.com/prestashop/

i want result as -http://rupeesstore.com

please help me

thank you in advance 

Change the "Base URL" from "/prestashop/" to "/" in "SEO & URLs" tab.

And then move all folders and files in "prestashop" folder to "public_html" folder.

• 1 year later...

Just a heads-up for those stumbling upon this thread in search of the solution to remove those ids...

Do not use an addon by @vekia (Pretty Clean Urls). As of its current version it's broken in two places on PS 8.0.1:

- Not possible to add additional fields like {reference} and {ean13} to the URL, there's a 404 error on products if you do

- Switching product attributes (such as size) is broken too, as the product page will always switch back to the default/first value.

There is also absolutely zero support and communication from the developer themselves, although they appear to be active. I've made a mistake of buying directly on their website instead of the official Prestashop modules site and it appears the money's gone now and there will be no refund. Never buy modules from third-party sites directly as you will be at the mercy of those who run those sites.

After two days of fruitless attempts I just went ahead and purchased a module from FME Modules which worked instantly and was a hassle-free experience (no separate config pages, everything done within the Traffic&SEO page). Really just sorted the modules by rating and bought the topmost one.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JustJohn said:

Just a heads-up for those stumbling upon this thread in search of the solution to remove those ids...

Do not use an addon by @vekia (Pretty Clean Urls). As of its current version it's broken in two places on PS 8.0.1:

- Not possible to add additional fields like {reference} and {ean13} to the URL, there's a 404 error on products if you do

- Switching product attributes (such as size) is broken too, as the product page will always switch back to the default/first value.

There is also absolutely zero support and communication from the developer themselves, although they appear to be active. I've made a mistake of buying directly on their website instead of the official Prestashop modules site and it appears the money's gone now and there will be no refund. Never buy modules from third-party sites directly as you will be at the mercy of those who run those sites.

After two days of fruitless attempts I just went ahead and purchased a module from FME Modules which worked instantly and was a hassle-free experience (no separate config pages, everything done within the Traffic&SEO page). Really just sorted the modules by rating and bought the topmost one.

I was about to purchase another module (Seo Redirects) from @vekia (mypresta.eu). I purchased his password reset module, which seems to work fine on my PS 1.6.x site, but he has not responded to my last two inquiries, so I've moved on.

Hi,

I'm always amazed to see the permanent interest caused by the idea that removing the ID from URLs would have any importance, either in terms of SEO or user experience.

Especially since we can discover modules to go back available on PrestaShop to put this ID back in place.

First of all, instead of removing the ID from the URLs, it would be good to propose URLs without inserting the category information, this is much better at the SEO level if your products are associated to several categories or if you have fun moving products regularly between categories.

Above all, the fact of using an ID in the URL of the products allows you to avoid getting confused in the names of the products at the risk of ending up with several products having the same URL.

• Like 1

Well my case is simple and special. There might arise a need to delete the entire product database from PS and sync it back from FileMaker from time to time. And not lose the URLs in the process. I can imagine if you're just managing the products manually or strictly within PS, those IDs are not an issue.