Why so difficult to import categories/products?

I have been using ecommerce software since 2004. I have never seen an ecommerce program which it is so difficult to import my categories/products.

Interspire has been my goto app for a while now precisely because it makes importing easier than anything! A simple excel file with properly named column id's in the first line, saved in either comma, semicolon or tab delimited and it will ADD categories on the fly during the import, ADD the products and also ADD the images from either a file location within the shopping cart file structure OR from any valid URL address.

I have had MANY years of experience figuring out the little idiosyncrasies to get files to import properly.....yet prestashop takes the cake in being the most difficult of them all.

Sure, I can spend at least $114 or more to be able to simply import my products, but doesn't that defeat the whole purpose in finding an open source, free solution for a shopping cart?

I really like the structure of prestashop, the frontpage layout and the back office structure as well. And I keep coming back with every upgrade to see if they have FINALLY made it simple to import what SHOULD BE the most basic of information for products.

Yet the end result is always the same: Disappointment at the high level of difficulty to simply import categories or products.

I've tried downloading the "sample file" for categories, yet when I open the "csv" file in Microsoft excel it includes ALL of the first line of data in the first column (it should span across multiple columns),

The 2nd and 3rd lines of data also only fill the first column and don't span across the multiple columns as they should.

So I manually fix the issue so the top columns are named:

• ID
  • Active(0/1)
  • Name*
  • Parent Category
  • Root Category (0/1)
  • Description
  • Meta Title
  • Meta Keywords
  • Meta description
  • URL rewritten
  • Image URL

Then I add a couple of categories below those columns with the appropriate category information:

• iPods
  • Home
  • Now that you can buy movies from the iTunes Store and sync them to your iPod, the whole world is your theater.
  • Meta title-iPods
  • Meta keywords-iPods
  • Meta description-iPods
  • music-ipods
  • http://yourlinktotheimage.com/img1000.jpg

Then I save it as a standard csv file and upload it using the PS 1.6 CSV Import in the backoffice.

And as usual, and as it has always done in every version of Prestashop I have ever tried, it goes to the next screen and includes ALL of the columns as ONE column, making it impossible to import the file as a csv (which is the ONLY file type recognized by prestashop for import).

I have tried to trick the system by saving it as a tab delimited file, changing the file from "txt" to "csv" then telling PS to use a tab delimiter instead of semicolon, but nothing seems to work.

In todays environment of a more "E-friendly" distribution system, more and more distributors are making excel and CSV files readily available to their wholesalers so they can easily add the products to an online site and SELL SELL SELL!!!!

Yet Prestashop takes that and turns it into a nightmare of difficulty and errors and wasted time.

Perhaps, one day, Prestashop will see the need for a simple import solution.... but then they'll probably go the way of Interspire Shopping Cart and shut down the free version and move to only a hosted version.

Time will tell, but after countless updates and so called "improvements", the ONE thing which needs the most improvement since the very FIRST version of Prestashop.... still isn't any better than the day they made the very first version available for download.

• Like 3

I have been using ecommerce software since 2004. I have never seen an ecommerce program which it is so difficult to import my categories/products.

Interspire has been my goto app for a while now precisely because it makes importing easier than anything! A simple excel file with properly named column id's in the first line, saved in either comma, semicolon or tab delimited and it will ADD categories on the fly during the import, ADD the products and also ADD the images from either a file location within the shopping cart file structure OR from any valid URL address.

I have had MANY years of experience figuring out the little idiosyncrasies to get files to import properly.....yet prestashop takes the cake in being the most difficult of them all.

Sure, I can spend at least $114 or more to be able to simply import my products, but doesn't that defeat the whole purpose in finding an open source, free solution for a shopping cart?

I really like the structure of prestashop, the frontpage layout and the back office structure as well. And I keep coming back with every upgrade to see if they have FINALLY made it simple to import what SHOULD BE the most basic of information for products.

Yet the end result is always the same: Disappointment at the high level of difficulty to simply import categories or products.

I've tried downloading the "sample file" for categories, yet when I open the "csv" file in Microsoft excel it includes ALL of the first line of data in the first column (it should span across multiple columns),

The 2nd and 3rd lines of data also only fill the first column and don't span across the multiple columns as they should.

So I manually fix the issue so the top columns are named:

• ID
  • Active(0/1)
  • Name*
  • Parent Category
  • Root Category (0/1)
  • Description
  • Meta Title
  • Meta Keywords
  • Meta description
  • URL rewritten
  • Image URL

Then I add a couple of categories below those columns with the appropriate category information:

• iPods
  • Home
  • Now that you can buy movies from the iTunes Store and sync them to your iPod, the whole world is your theater.
  • Meta title-iPods
  • Meta keywords-iPods
  • Meta description-iPods
  • music-ipods
  • http://yourlinktotheimage.com/img1000.jpg

Then I save it as a standard csv file and upload it using the PS 1.6 CSV Import in the backoffice.

And as usual, and as it has always done in every version of Prestashop I have ever tried, it goes to the next screen and includes ALL of the columns as ONE column, making it impossible to import the file as a csv (which is the ONLY file type recognized by prestashop for import).

I have tried to trick the system by saving it as a tab delimited file, changing the file from "txt" to "csv" then telling PS to use a tab delimiter instead of semicolon, but nothing seems to work.

In todays environment of a more "E-friendly" distribution system, more and more distributors are making excel and CSV files readily available to their wholesalers so they can easily add the products to an online site and SELL SELL SELL!!!!

Yet Prestashop takes that and turns it into a nightmare of difficulty and errors and wasted time.

Perhaps, one day, Prestashop will see the need for a simple import solution.... but then they'll probably go the way of Interspire Shopping Cart and shut down the free version and move to only a hosted version.

Time will tell, but after countless updates and so called "improvements", the ONE thing which needs the most improvement since the very FIRST version of Prestashop.... still isn't any better than the day they made the very first version available for download.

Ok, so FORTY FOUR views as of this and ZERO comments/thoughts/ideas? Tech support is non-existent with Prestashop unless you pay them hundreds of dollars per year for what should be simple fixes.

Imagine if the car companies ran there business like that.... you'd buy a car and as soon as someone else wanted to rider with you the car would slow down to walking speed. You'd have to ask your friends and family what their thoughts are but in order to drive your car at the speeds you were lead to believe it could operate, you'd have to pay the car manufacturer additional money to simply make it operate the way it should from the start.

I did find the issue to PS csv files opening oddly and including everything in the first spreadsheet cell; I had to go into windows regional settings and change it from the STANDARD comma delimiter to a semi-colon delimiter. Which means whenever I download my distributors wholesale files for import I have to change to the UNIVERSAL STANDARD of a comma, then while keeping that file open I have to go back and CHANGE the UNIVERSAL STANDARD to the ODDBALL Prestashop standard of a semi-colon THEN save my product file as a csv so it will import into PS.

Once I got it to import correctly into PS I found another stupid bug that limits my product imports to 85-110 products per import before it returns a 404 page not found error.

Other shops like Interspire, Solecart, etc allow you to CHOOSE the delimiter format you are importing (comma, semicolon, tab, etc) so you DON'T have to ALTER YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM from the UNIVERSAL STANDARD.

So PS takes the viewpoint on that as if you went into a store to buy something and they ONLY accept TWO DOLLAR BILLS and nothing else. It's  their way or no way.

Funny, I thought becoming bigger and better meant making things easier and more convenient for YOUR CUSTOMER.... which in this case is US. If that were the case I would have already gotten my site setup and be PURCHASING addons from the Module addons directory. But since I can't even make it function at the most basic of levels without ridiculous irritating restrictions, it would be stupid to BUY anything from Prestashop (including tech support credits) until this program functions correctly out of the box for simple things like importing, editing banners in the new version (which are nearly impossible to find and edit), etc.

• Like 1

Ok, so FORTY FOUR views as of this and ZERO comments/thoughts/ideas? 

On behalf of the Prestashop community, may I apologise for us being so SLOW to respond to your post, but just because you like to SHOUT a lot, it doesn't mean we'll respond more QUICKLY.

As it happens, I agree with your point that the c in csv should mean comma, but time is a valuable commodity, so I just use semi-colon and get on with it.

Cheers, Dave

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Totally agree Kevin...

I have a few different prestashop installations and always have the same issue "CSV Imports"!!!  needless to say this causes me a lot of frustration having to find workarounds and customizations to correct the issues.  

For example, I have a shop that sells virtual products and had difficulty uploading the files because they were large.. Had finally sorted it in PS 1.4 but now since the PS 1.6 I can't upload the files anymore? Prestashop keeps saying it my server (if that was the case then how come it worked in previous prestashop installations?)

My other shops I had to break the csv files into smaller sections (500 products per csv) so it wouldn't cause errors.  Then all i had to do was have a csv with 3 columns (ID, Quantity, Active (0/1) to manage stock levels and to set the product as active or not.  Now in PS 1.6 I have to include the Products Name* column as well? Ridiculous! Now I have to go and search for the products name in my database of 1000's of products just to update a csv file? this is demented...  

I don't understand how with every PS version there are always NEW bugs and issues that need to be sorted or figured out.  Surely they should be improving code, not making it less and less functional? I'm not a coder, I'm a retailer. so I can't keep struggling just to make a shopping site work instead of focussing on selling my items.  Unfortunately I already have a few shopping sites on Prestashop and can't change this now, heaven forbid I don't have time to try and figure out a new shopping platform.  I really wish the prestashop developers can test their stuff before releasing it (and of course... MAKE IT EASIER TO DO AND WORK!)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

We used to be able to import thousands of products with 1.400 versions but in 1.6++ nothing with the csv import seems to work.  Here we tried to import 28 items. When attempting to import using the part number as the name and the part number as the ID we get this message.  Have tried using simple line numbers as the id such as 1,2,3,4 that does not work either.  There is nothing in the csv help file that tells you what characters can be used or not used in a name, but not sure what is causing the problem?  With old versions it used to assign the ID itself, now if you do not specify an ID it will not import, but then again it will not import if you do supply and ID but at least you do not get an ID error.  Note below it gives no reason why tie items cannot be saved. None of these items are currently in the database.

:  errors

1. MB417LLA-PB-R (ID: MB417LLA-PB-R) cannot be saved
  2. Property Product->condition has bad value (allowed values are: new, used, refurbished)
  3. MC309LLA-PB-R (ID: MC309LLA-PB-R) cannot be saved
  4. MC812LLA-PB-R (ID: MC812LLA-PB-R) cannot be saved
  5. MD093LLA-PB-B (ID: MD093LLA-PB- B) cannot be saved
  6. MC705LLA-CS-PB-R (ID: MC705LLA-CS-PB-R) cannot be saved
  7. MC706LLA-PB-R (ID: MC706LLA-PB-R) cannot be saved
  8. MC706LLA-PB-B (ID: MC706LLA-PB- B) cannot be saved
  9. MA970LLA-PB-2R (ID: MA970LLA-PB-2R) cannot be saved
  10. MB871LLA-PB-R (ID: MB871LLA-PB-R) cannot be saved
  11. MC240LLA-B (ID: MC240LLA- B) cannot be saved
  12. MC226LLA-PB-R (ID: MC226LLA-PB-R) cannot be saved
  13. MD313LLA-PB-R (ID: MD313LLA-PB-R) cannot be saved
  14. MD313LLA-PB-B (ID: MD313LLA-PB- B) cannot be saved

The above problem with the import, we were having was solved.  It seems that the condition column cannot accept capital letters.  We had to change all the New items to new by doing a replace all in excel to get Prestashop to accept the import.  We thought the condition has bad value note was only applicable to one line item but it was meant for all.

200% agreed with Kevin and he is not shouting he is basically frustrated as everyone does who has been using Presta, the basic fundamental mechanism for any web system it has to be feasible for products flow freely for import and export. This is the basic of the basic. Prestashop is the one who is shouting to all users to upgrade to their new product, frankly speaking there are fewer willing to do so, WHY? because everyone has to go through a painful process for prestashop's guinea pig. If you can't even tranfering your data properly how do you expect user to that, they scare to death!

Even on the basic csv import they can't get it right and is not working properly, you can't import any images just timeout everything under the son 500, 504 404 you name it is there... leaving all the jargon sample for user to figure out what it is mean? In most cases user end up catastrophic disaster but it was too late then. Never ant thorough explanation on any topic or menu. Experience dictates, non of those so call add-on work properly and you have to pay them as well and also they suppose to be on presta panel approval!!!

Presta, if you need the market share you need to shape it up properly.

If it helps at all I have found that most import errors, especially the ones that just give you a white screen and no help, have to do with the "Meta Description" field. This field is VERY picky and won't accept various punctuation or over 255 characters. If you are getting server 500 errors or something else try cutting and pasting this column to a different workbook and try your upload again with the Meta Description fields empty and see if it helps.

• 3 weeks later...

If it helps at all I have found that most import errors, especially the ones that just give you a white screen and no help, have to do with the "Meta Description" field. This field is VERY picky and won't accept various punctuation or over 255 characters. If you are getting server 500 errors or something else try cutting and pasting this column to a different workbook and try your upload again with the Meta Description fields empty and see if it helps.

Thank you for the information, its prestashop! you will find a lot of weird things yet!

• 1 month later...

On behalf of the Prestashop community, may I apologise for us being so SLOW to respond to your post, but just because you like to SHOUT a lot, it doesn't mean we'll respond more QUICKLY.

As it happens, I agree with your point that the c in csv should mean comma, but time is a valuable commodity, so I just use semi-colon and get on with it.

Cheers, Dave

Stottycabanas, you are disrespectful.  He is not shouting, he's saying the same exact thing as thousands of people online. I've been trying to import products and categories for three full days and have gotten *nowhere*.  This is pathetic and I would have gone with another platform if my client wasn't stuck on using Prestashop.

I simply cannot believe that they are at version 1.6 and still haven't been able to create an easy import solution.  The French really never were very good with the Internet.  It took them 15 years to figure out it existed after everybody had realized it and not one single French company has been able to successfully sell goods online.  Do you know why? Because they overanalyze everything, they are not pragmatic like the Americans.  It can be interesting in an intellectual discussion or when dicussing cultural matters, but with programming, this is absolutely horrible.   It's the worst approach to importing I have seen in 20 years working in e-commerce.

Pal, it's been a month since I started with Prestashop. It sucked my blood in the beginning but I have learned what could be learned in six months.

Anyway, I find it to be very cool and really flexible not like OpenCart garbage. Along with that, I believe that it is two blocks away from reaching the status of Magento but when it comes to products and categories? man, It is a disaster!

One day, I came across a solution by mistake which is an application you install on your PC and it connects to your server. From the application you can manage inventories, categories and products etc. The problem? apps like that are really overpriced and the quality isn't that much.

I believe that such an application should be free and should come with every downloaded copy of presta.

I can write the application in 3 to 7 days (windows-side) but I guess I need to sit down and study the web-part of REST services a little bit.

Any thoughts?

I believe that such an application should be free and should come with every downloaded copy of presta.

I can write the application in 3 to 7 days (windows-side) but I guess I need to sit down and study the web-part of REST services a little bit.

Any thoughts?

Hello Phil,

It should definitely be free and not even an app, just integrated into their import process.

About writing the app, it already exists: I just used cart2cart (https://app.shopping-cart-migration.com/) and it worked like a charm.  I only used the demo as the full thing costs $109 and I have to improve a few things in the original system before I fully migrate.

What it does is connect to both stores and exports from one to import into the other.  It worked but took 25 mins for the demo with 10 products only.  I'm a bit worried about what's going to happen and if it'll crash with 1,500 products :)  They have a guarantee for which you have to pay an extra which is not super reassuring.

Overall, this is one big mess.  We're FIFTEEN years or more into ecommerce and we're still struggling.  I just can't understand this.  

Have you guys tried Woocommerce? It seems cool and it integrates well with Wordpress and WPML for multilingual setups and there are tons of really professional templates on Theme Forest and elsewhere.  I'm about to give it a try...

I feel you for all that time.

Anyway, I got a bit confused. You were talking about migration? I was talking about stock management.

Even though both processes are a pain, they're close to each other. I'm looking for a stable long term solution (stock management). Migrations are just a one time thing.

Finally, this is how I see it when it comes to e-Commerce:

Magento: Huge, complicated, excellent support, starting to be monetized (Damn it America!)

Presta: Light, easy to learn, excellent support, a bit behind some of magento's features

OpenCart: Even though the project started back in 2005 but their coding structure is traaaash.

WooCommerce: relatively young and has hiccups but it got a shiny future.

I assume it would be only a matter of time and presta will rise to the top.

I certainly can see how many frustrated budy's here in a topic that should not be a topic!  Import/Export it s a basic fundamental tool for all web user, any other web designer will first to sort out this topic first before anything else!

There also a lot of pro-presta call them self presta developer infact they are just lurking in the back looking for people who struggling then try to introduce their so call unworkable payable add-on.

A true open source has to be opened truly and completely not there to introduce add-on. Many of the presta's hound keep saying "what do you expect" its free! Is not about whether is free or not is about a proper working product.

However, echo to Melkiades importing problem who has spending so much time there for nothing I would just like to high-light couple method and hope it works for you.

First I like to warn everyone that Presta would never handle big task if you have thousand of data's need to import please just forget it. Prestashop could never able to handle that volume is better to look for somewhere else.

Yes, you can import data via .csv with the most tedious process you can imagine and yet presta will never have a correct answer or thorough answer for you.

1) you have to prepare your .csv file according to and within the given mapping name by Presta. You need not to use them all just map them with the one that you need to import BUT according to their languages of their field. You can design to your own field name if that makes easier for your to remember it, but must map them correct to the presta language field. i.e. Retail price in-VAT - Presta is price Inc tax.. etc...

2) If you download the presta import template then you must first use Excel (Text convert Wizard) to convert then into each single column otherwise the presta csv import will not recognise it, (Yes its funny they can't even recognise their very own download template!) To convert that you must tick (tab) and (Semicolon) to separate them.

3) Once you have your template correctly design is best to use presta (Save your data matching configuration) and give it a name, that will bring up all the right mapping destination each time you upload (new) data. You need not to map them again!

3) Your SKU is important but is best not to use it as a primary key eventhough you know your SKU is completely unique. There is reason behind it when you come to (updating your products in the later stage such as price or qty changes etc...

4) The most sticky point is when you have images, and multiple images. So can you directly import them to presta? the answer is NO. Directly definately not! However there is a tedious methods you can use.

If you have multiple images you must first stitch them up first which presta would never tell you that!

a) use Excel to stitch them by create a comma column [ , ] to separate each image that fall into the second image slot. to do that... i.e. image1 http://myimage1.com  image2 http://myimage2.com '>http://myimage2.com 

=image1 http://myimage1.com&,&image2 http://myimage2.com Note: add the [ , ] column in not type it in.

B) Once you have stitched all the images you need into 1 roll then you must also high-light the entire column and perform a copy and paste (Special) enable all values not formula data.

c) Map image to presta image url BUT the night mare only just begin! Please do not thing that presta can import all your image in 1 go, it is impossible with presta. First, if say you have 5 images on each product and you have 1000 products and want to import them, then you must be dreaming with presta.

d) Maximum on a smooth import it would be approx 150 product a go (Yet) you must tick YES on (Do not regenerate thumbnails) on the initial page. Then after import you go to image (Preferances - Image) and click (Generate Thumbnails) BUTTTT .. must tick NO to (Erase previous images) otherwise it will regenerate your entire images.. must remeber it is very dangerous process. AND it is a very wrongly worded on that page by presta.

e) if you have 1000 products you must break it up to stage with approx 150 data max. Otherwise I guaranteed you that it will not work with prestashop.

5) Create you category field with the exact name in your category then it should look for the right destination, however if you have 2 the same name in your category it will only import one.

Hope this help

• Like 2

I certainly can see how many frustrated budy's here in a topic that should not be a topic!  Import/Export it s a basic fundamental tool for all web user, any other web designer will first to sort out this topic first before anything else!

There also a lot of pro-presta call them self presta developer infact they are just lurking in the back looking for people who struggling then try to introduce their so call unworkable payable add-on.

A true open source has to be opened truly and completely not there to introduce add-on. Many of the presta's hound keep saying "what do you expect" its free! Is not about whether is free or not is about a proper working product.

However, echo to Melkiades importing problem who has spending so much time there for nothing I would just like to high-light couple method and hope it works for you.

First I like to warn everyone that Presta would never handle big task if you have thousand of data's need to import please just forget it. Prestashop could never able to handle that volume is better to look for somewhere else.

Yes, you can import data via .csv with the most tedious process you can imagine and yet presta will never have a correct answer or thorough answer for you.

1) you have to prepare your .csv file according to and within the given mapping name by Presta. You need not to use them all just map them with the one that you need to import BUT according to their languages of their field. You can design to your own field name if that makes easier for your to remember it, but must map them correct to the presta language field. i.e. Retail price in-VAT - Presta is price Inc tax.. etc...

2) If you download the presta import template then you must first use Excel (Text convert Wizard) to convert then into each single column otherwise the presta csv import will not recognise it, (Yes its funny they can't even recognise their very own download template!) To convert that you must tick (tab) and (Semicolon) to separate them.

3) Once you have your template correctly design is best to use presta (Save your data matching configuration) and give it a name, that will bring up all the right mapping destination each time you upload (new) data. You need not to map them again!

3) Your SKU is important but is best not to use it as a primary key eventhough you know your SKU is completely unique. There is reason behind it when you come to (updating your products in the later stage such as price or qty changes etc...

4) The most sticky point is when you have images, and multiple images. So can you directly import them to presta? the answer is NO. Directly definately not! However there is a tedious methods you can use.

If you have multiple images you must first stitch them up first which presta would never tell you that!

a) use Excel to stitch them by create a comma column [ , ] to separate each image that fall into the second image slot. to do that... i.e. image1 http://myimage1.com  image2 http://myimage2.com 

=image1 http://myimage1.com&,&image2 http://myimage2.com Note: add the [ , ] column in not type it in.

B) Once you have stitched all the images you need into 1 roll then you must also high-light the entire column and perform a copy and paste (Special) enable all values not formula data.

c) Map image to presta image url BUT the night mare only just begin! Please do not thing that presta can import all your image in 1 go, it is impossible with presta. First, if say you have 5 images on each product and you have 1000 products and want to import them, then you must be dreaming with presta.

d) Maximum on a smooth import it would be approx 150 product a go (Yet) you must tick YES on (Do not regenerate thumbnails) on the initial page. Then after import you go to image (Preferances - Image) and click (Generate Thumbnails) BUTTTT .. must tick NO to (Erase previous images) otherwise it will regenerate your entire images.. must remeber it is very dangerous process. AND it is a very wrongly worded on that page by presta.

e) if you have 1000 products you must break it up to stage with approx 150 data max. Otherwise I guaranteed you that it will not work with prestashop.

5) Create you category field with the exact name in your category then it should look for the right destination, however if you have 2 the same name in your category it will only import one.

Hope this help

Just like to correct the stitching process in the Excel cell:-

=http://myimage1.com&,&http://myimage2.com Note: add the [ , ] column in not type it in.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been very frustrated with the csv import problem since 1.5 and have just got it to work in 1.6.0.9.

I think a lot of people are frustrated by the fact that not even the downloaded template from prestashop works from beginning. I would have liked to share the template .csv i made, but are not allowed by presta forum :/  But i can give a few hints:

- Edit in excel! (+save in excel is fine, but keep format!) - Use ; and , as in the default import setting.

- No capital LETTERS!!  ;)

- Always force ID numbers! If you already have products in the shop, edit the IDs in the .csv file so no 2 IDs are the same.

- Images are complicated if creating a new shop, if creating an old, copy the images from the img folder in old shop to img folder in new shop, and set the image url accordingly. With the whole adress!

- Some things like friendly url are auto generated from the name.

- Some columns needs to be 0< since blank is not a valid value (weight, height etc.)

- Leave all dates blank or edit them before import, prestas template dates are 2013 and are not valid!

- Create valid categories before import

I uploaded 209 products with this edit of the downloadable template from prestashop succesfully, many times! If you make an error, you can always edit the csv, do it again and enable the "delete all products on import"

Good Luck,

NB