Prestashop site continuosly drops from google

Hello to all,

I have an issue on my Prestashop site that is getting bigger. My site started in December 2012- the first months it reached the third places in google (on chrome, firefox, explorer) with the most competitive search words. We had pagerank 2 out of 10. The last 3-4 months we started to loose positions on google and we started to drop down with the same search words that we used at the beginning. Our rank for the last 3-4 months dropped to 0. Now we appear in google on last position on the first page and I assume it will get worse. Our site is beautiful in comparison to others, our prices are competitive, our products descriptions are long, everything looks perfect at first sight but something is wrong because we loose positions.

Just let you know that we also pay to Google adwords every day of the week.

I cannot find out what went wrong and I don`t know how to fix it. I just don`t know what to do. I know that position on the first page in google is ok but I want more because we had the third position.

Please give me some advice or some clue what got wrong and how to fix it.

Please help!

The name of the site: babyboombg.com

Thank you and regards,

Elitsa

Hello babyboombg.com,

Did you change anything on your website? URLs for instance?

You should check Google Webmaster Tools see if you have any problems identified by Google.

If nothing changed and everything is OK. It should be your competitor who reached higher position, not you loosing it.

Do not forget that ranking is a permanent competition.

I am ready to help you more, please check and come back to us.

Best regards,

Ciseur

Edited by Ciseur (see edit history)

Hello babyboombg.com,

Did you change anything on your website? URLs for instance?

You should check Google Webmaster Tools see if you have any problems identified by Google.

If nothing changed and everything is OK. It should be your competitor who reached higher position, not you loosing it.

Do forget that ranking is a permanent competition.

I am ready to help you more, please check and come back to us.

Best regards,

Ciseur

Thank you for this. If my competitor reached higher positions there should be any way to beat him. Also I have webmaster tools and I have around 400 duplicate meta descriptions but most of them come when I have more than 1 page full of products in the site- then every page of products in one category appears as a duplicate meta description. This is an issue of the prestashop that cannot be changed.

Best regards,

Elitsa

Elitsa,

Is there any other issues in GWT? Like crawl errors (404)?

Did you delete some products before this issue appears? Because deleting products without using redirections might affect your ranking.

Can you provide some URLs on which <meta> description are duplicated?

Maybe we can do something.

Best regards,

Ciseur

if you are using 1.5, then add ccTLD  .bg, your current domain with that ccTLD is avail.  The will raise you natural by country SEO.  Note: I do not know your IP but if not your country, this will hurt your seo.

now you compete in the world .coms, with .bg...you be one of the few....

lower level seo, i.e. meta, snippets are all well in good, but if you can then multiplex same content without duplicate content penalty...well you get the idea.

Elitsa,

Is there any other issues in GWT? Like crawl errors (404)?

Did you delete some products before this issue appears? Because deleting products without using redirections might affect your ranking.

Can you provide some URLs on which <meta> description are duplicated?

Maybe we can do something.

Best regards,

Ciseur

I have 181 crawl errors 404.

I deleted some products 1 week ago- what do you mean by @WITHOUT USING REDIRECTIONS@?

Please review the attached file to see some of the duplicate meta description errors- as I said google accepts as duplicate meta descriptions all pages in one category- as you can see in the file.

post-487478-0-17550500-1396461810_thumb.jpg

if you are using 1.5, then add ccTLD  .bg, your current domain with that ccTLD is avail.  The will raise you natural by country SEO.  Note: I do not know your IP but if not your country, this will hurt your seo.

now you compete in the world .coms, with .bg...you be one of the few....

lower level seo, i.e. meta, snippets are all well in good, but if you can then multiplex same content without duplicate content penalty...well you get the idea.

Thank you for that:)

I would say that all other sites that are my competitors with specific keywords are also .com, NOT .bg

@MULTIPLEX SAME CONTENT WITHOUT DUPLICATE CONTENT PENALTY@???? What do you mean? Not to duplicate content from other sites?

Thank you for that:)

I would say that all other sites that are my competitors with specific keywords are also .com, NOT .bg

@MULTIPLEX SAME CONTENT WITHOUT DUPLICATE CONTENT PENALTY@???? What do you mean? Not to duplicate content from other sites?

if you use one(1) gTLD (.com for example) and one or more ccTLD's (.bg/.de/uk etc), your shop content is not considered duplicate content.

But if you use more than one gTLD, then good possiblity that it would.

ccTLD is just another step in content localization.  (in google search, 'google cctld'),  this can be somewhat confusting about regional but many are now able with PrestaShop to do this, without issue.

I even wrote multishop for 1.4 to do this but not near as full featured at 1.5+

so, if you have .bg, this tells indexing that your content is for that country...it's a big key...also if your IP is not .bg, you will not be lose seo when ccTLD .bg used.

suerte (luck)

if you use one(1) gTLD (.com for example) and one or more ccTLD's (.bg/.de/uk etc), your shop content is not considered duplicate content.

But if you use more than one gTLD, then good possiblity that it would.

ccTLD is just another step in content localization.  (in google search, 'google cctld'),  this can be somewhat confusting about regional but many are now able with PrestaShop to do this, without issue.

I even wrote multishop for 1.4 to do this but not near as full featured at 1.5+

so, if you have .bg, this tells indexing that your content is for that country...it's a big key...also if your IP is not .bg, you will not be lose seo when ccTLD .bg used.

suerte (luck)

ok, Thank you for the information:) I will check how can I do it.

• Like 1

Different point here:

1- .bg won't help that much. Your .com domain has already an history, it is indexed for years now. Changing your domain is not really a good option here. The risk to loose ranking is bigger than the chance to win anything.

2- You delete some products? How many? If you delete products without managing redirections it might hurt your ranking. If you delete the page which ranks on a request, you will simply loose the position you had before. So if you delete half of your products you might loose half your positions. It is important to keep in mind that URLs are really important changing it or deleting (404ing) it is really armful:

- you will loose current indexation (and ranking) of this URLs

- users coming to that URLs (from links on the web or from SE) will be lost, because they will find an error

For this, one good practice: try to not delete any URLs unless you are really obliged to ; and if you do, deploy redirection (HTTP 301) to a relevant page to avoid issues.

3- You got duplicate meta description due to a misunderstanding of Search Engines about the pagination. You should look forward yo add <link rel="next" ... /> and <link rel="prev" ... /> on your paginate pages.

Different point here:

1- .bg won't help that much. Your .com domain has already an history, it is indexed for years now. Changing your domain is not really a good option here. The risk to loose ranking is bigger than the chance to win anything.

I did not suggest delete it, I suggested adding .bg a ccTLD, and keep .com gTLD...everyone wants to play around at single content context, fine, but when you can replicate, again without duplicate content..then it's a win win.  I mean don't you all get bored just presenting single content?

your 2./3. are good points.

ccTLD is a significant indicator to search engines...

also since ps is euro centric, one should use a .eu not a .com (.com is typically considered a US gTLD.

Different point here:

2- You delete some products? How many? If you delete products without managing redirections it might hurt your ranking. If you delete the page which ranks on a request, you will simply loose the position you had before. So if you delete half of your products you might loose half your positions. It is important to keep in mind that URLs are really important changing it or deleting (404ing) it is really armful:

- you will loose current indexation (and ranking) of this URLs

- users coming to that URLs (from links on the web or from SE) will be lost, because they will find an error

For this, one good practice: try to not delete any URLs unless you are really obliged to ; and if you do, deploy redirection (HTTP 301) to a relevant page to avoid issues.

3- You got duplicate meta description due to a misunderstanding of Search Engines about the pagination. You should look forward yo add <link rel="next" ... /> and <link rel="prev" ... /> on your paginate pages.

Thank you, as a whole I get your idea:)

but about the 2- I delete only products that are out of stock forever and they are stopped in the site (not visible). Do you suggest not to delete them? Or how can I deploy a redirection to a relevant page?

3- I don`t understand how to do this. Should I turn to technical person to help me with this?

Thank you

I did not suggest delete it, I suggested adding .bg a ccTLD, and keep .com gTLD...everyone wants to play around at single content context, fine, but when you can replicate, again without duplicate content..then it's a win win.  I mean don't you all get bored just presenting single content?

your 2./3. are good points.

ccTLD is a significant indicator to search engines...

also since ps is euro centric, one should use a .eu not a .com (.com is typically considered a US gTLD.

Ok, I already have the information how to do this- I just need to pay a second domain leading to the same site and wait to see a few months how google will index the new domain. I should decide about that:)

Thank you

Ok, I already have the information how to do this- I just need to pay a second domain leading to the same site and wait to see a few months how google will index the new domain. I should decide about that:)

Thank you

after you add .bg, setup in same google webmaster account, run sitemap and it will be indexed.

Thank you, as a whole I get your idea:)

but about the 2- I delete only products that are out of stock forever and they are stopped in the site (not visible). Do you suggest not to delete them? Or how can I deploy a redirection to a relevant page?

3- I don`t understand how to do this. Should I turn to technical person to help me with this?

Thank you

Please, advise on point 2 and 3 above questions

thank you

Hello,

I identified another issues for solving

1. How to delete products from BO that are out of stock forever without affecting my PR (I remember that I really deleted products a few weeks ago)? I ask you because

2. All products that are stopped in BO for a few months or forever (because they are out of stock) are indicated as Missing title tags in Webmaster and then I have this message: example:

[Debug] This page has moved

Please use the following URL instead: http://babyboombg.co...нни-в-бяло.html

How to fix these mistakes detected by Webmaster tools?

3. When I create new product- in the SEO section is it better to write the URL with Cyrillic (just like the product page title) or with Latin letters? I ask you because with Cyrillic I have something like this: ‎B1%D1%80%D0%B5%D0%BC%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%BD%D0%B8-%D0%B2-%D0%B1%D1%8F%D0%BB%D0%BE.html‎

and I don`t know if google likes that?

4. I changed many URLs of existing products from Cyrillic to Latin to avoid these hieroglyphics. Is this a problem for google and my PR and how to fix it if it is a problem?

Any advice would be of help.

Thank you very much,

Elitsa

Hi babyboombg.com

Have you done some type of back-linking or SEO of this website??? I am asking this question because may be you have put some links on low quality sites and that's search engine is treating negative with you.  

Thank you for the hint!

Yes, I inserted links to my site in different catallogues and pages and I didn`t check their PR before doing this. So, now what can I do?

I also think the problem is that I deleted products (that are forever out of stock) becuase I don`t know what to do with them- they are just stopped in the BO and webmaster shows them as Missing TItle Tags. I also changes many URLs from Cyrillic to Latin letters and this might also be a problem. I don`t know how to fix all this.

Thank you,

Elitsa

Hello,

I identified another issues for solving

1. How to delete products from BO that are out of stock forever without affecting my PR (I remember that I really deleted products a few weeks ago)? I ask you because

2. All products that are stopped in BO for a few months or forever (because they are out of stock) are indicated as Missing title tags in Webmaster and then I have this message: example:

[Debug] This page has moved

Please use the following URL instead: http://babyboombg.co...нни-в-бяло.html

How to fix these mistakes detected by Webmaster tools?

3. When I create new product- in the SEO section is it better to write the URL with Cyrillic (just like the product page title) or with Latin letters? I ask you because with Cyrillic I have something like this: ‎B1%D1%80%D0%B5%D0%BC%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%BD%D0%B8-%D0%B2-%D0%B1%D1%8F%D0%BB%D0%BE.html‎

and I don`t know if google likes that?

4. I changed many URLs of existing products from Cyrillic to Latin to avoid these hieroglyphics. Is this a problem for google and my PR and how to fix it if it is a problem?

2. URGENT : You are on DEV mode ! You should remove it as soon as possible ! Change it in : /config/defines.inc.php. By removing it, you'll get 301 redirect instead of this messages.

3. Search Engines understand well cyrilic URLs but many other tools like forums or other website don't and it may break your backlinks. So, better use classic latin letter.

4. Changing URLs may generates a fall in ranking unless your old URLs returns HTTP 301 redirects to the new ones. (Solving point 2 will help a lot)

2. URGENT : You are on DEV mode ! You should remove it as soon as possible ! Change it in : /config/defines.inc.php. By removing it, you'll get 301 redirect instead of this messages.

3. Search Engines understand well cyrilic URLs but many other tools like forums or other website don't and it may break your backlinks. So, better use classic latin letter.

4. Changing URLs may generates a fall in ranking unless your old URLs returns HTTP 301 redirects to the new ones. (Solving point 2 will help a lot)

Thank you very, very much. 

About 3 I have read somewhere that product page title and URL both should be the same because this will make the page more relevant for those search items. That`s why I`m confused. On one side I need to avoid hieroglyphics and to to use Cyrillic. On the other side the product page title (in Cyrillic) and the URL should be the same.

Thank you for the advise:)

• 1 month later...

also improve your shop speed, this is a critical factor to search engines (google)...cursory check you get 87/100...that may seem ok, but if others have higher score...then they get higher rank. :)

also improve your shop speed, this is a critical factor to search engines (google)...cursory check you get 87/100...that may seem ok, but if others have higher score...then they get higher rank. :)

Hi there

Iam have start using PrestaShop™ 1.6.0.6 on Larmhem.se, and have worked with the sitespeed very hard this week. But with some help from Lesley at dh42.com or sitespeed is now very good :)

Here are the latest test i made: http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/eApetY/http://www.larmhem.se/

Also take a look on my site : http://www.larmhem.se/

Testresult from tools.pingdom.com:

This specific test was done on May 15 at 01:02:10 from Amsterdam, Netherlands.

• The web page took 1.21 s to load, used 27 requests, and weighed in at 444.5 kB.
  • The Google Page Speed performance grade for this web page is 98/100

I can highly rekommed everyone to take some help from Lesley on dh42.com !

Have a good time and good luck with your sitespeed :D

post-796369-0-09714000-1400109355_thumb.jpg

Edited by Larmhem.se (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...