attribute-value quantities, in sync for all products

Hello forum,

does anybody know of a module that is capable of the following:

Allowing “Product Attributes - Values” to have a quantity field,

which is consistent/synced with all products that use that attribute?!

So whenever a sold product contained that attribute-value, e.g. component, then the stock levels are reduced for this attribute/value.

That is because our products consist of two mandatory components that add up to a complete, sellable product.

An illustrative, easy to explain example would be: 

Imagine a jewelry store, that sells customizable rings. The registered main products are gemstones (tiger eye, jade, onyx, turquoise, etc. etc.) and the attribute-values are the few different versions of the metal ring that holds the gemstone (e.g. silver, gold, brass, copper, steel).

And as these attribute-values (the blank/empty metal rings) are limited in stocks, so there is a need to track stock levels…

Generally this functionality is given in prestashop (combinations quantities), yet it is bound to a specific product, e.g. combination, e.g. it is not consistent, in sync, with the same attribute group used on an other product.

So basically the desired module should adjust quantities for all combinations that use a specific attribute-value…

Thanks for aaany input!!

Best regards
  • Like 1

P.S. I found this module: Single Stock Attributes V1.1, by presto-changeo.

It can solve the stocks control issue for the main-products (gemstones), e.g. the first component of the customizable product, yet it does not solve the issue of stocks control for the attributes, e.g. the second component… 

Hola El Patron,

thanks for the comment. And yes, I did have a look at PrestaShop advanced stock management. Maybe I am simply not qualified enough to see the solution... yet all see is that it facilitates various warehouses, etc... yet nothing about a global quantity control of attributes (which in our case are a mandatory component of the sellable product).

Do I oversee something?

Thanks again!

P.S.   We are setting up our store on PrestaShop 1.6.0.5 now.

you may need a test shop (created from production shop) to learn using the advanced stock management. as asm supports combinations so this is why  I think it would suit your purposes.  It's a difficult subject to just 'read' about so some hands on experience would be worth the time I think but best on test shop first.

note this from doc

Available quantities for current product and its combinations are based on stock in the warehouses.

Whilst PS can maintain stock quantities at either product or combination level, the requirement is to do this for an intermediate number of attributes.

If your final combinations are made up of 4 attributes, say, the ultimate aim is to also have the option to choose a different level at which stock is recorded, based on either 1, 2 or 3 of the attributes. flowunited has found a module to work with one attribute, but in his/her case needs the ability to record stock using 2 attributes.

I'm not sure that such a module exists, but I'm pretty sure that asm is not relevant in this case.

Cheers, Dave

Hola El Patron, thanks for your comment.
Just to let you know, we are currently testing on our site, so I do have the ASM activated now... but I don't see any changes regarding the stock control of the attributes.

From what I can see&understand the combinations quantities are always product-specific, and never global, e.g. for all the products that use this attribute group. 
The attributes seem to ALWAYS belong to a specific product, and make up a sellable unit, which YES has a stock control (the combination quantity). YET we look for a way to use the attributes for ANY given product in the shop, and have an independent, global quantity control for these attributes (independent from which product used them).

P.S.   We are fully testing... ASM, AWP, etc... we don't mind to test any function, or module... as we will RE-setup the WHOLE shop once this functionality is somehow solved... it is kind of the core of our webshop, to have the end product customizable out of 2 components, whereas the first component is registered as a normal main product (around 200 products like this), and the second component, e.g. a choice of 6 different metals, is implemented as a attribute group... which this 6 values/metals need a stock control !!

very interesting information...thanks for sharing...there is very little expertise on the forum concerning  asm.

From  what I read what you want seems possible stotty seems to understand your requirements an asm  differently than  I do.  But my posting is more to help community member explore, I  certainly do not have the experience in this area.

I'm not sure that such a module exists, but I'm pretty sure that asm is not relevant in this case.

Cheers, Dave

Hi Dave, thanks for your input!

From what I can see, it's as you say, ASM is NOT relevant.

I really wonder if there is a module that can handle that... let me call it: global attribute quantity control.

...found a module to work with one attribute, but in his/her case needs the ability to record stock using 2 attributes.

Cheers, Dave

Dave, actually we only need 1 attribute group.

But yes, we do need 2 components. 

One registered product, and one mandatory attribute (radio button).

1+1=product

e.g. the example with the ring jewelry store, that sells rings.

200 different kinds of gemstones (let's say from each 20, so 4000 gemstones total stock). 

And 6 different kinds of blank/empty rings (let's say from each 700, so 4200 blank rings total stock). 

1 gemstone + 1 blank ring = complete ring

So for a sellable product you need both, gemstone+blank_ring.

Gemstones are the registered products, and the 6 blank rings are the attribute group. 

So 1200 possible combinations.

Yet this 1200 combinations do not exist pre-made in the jewelry store. The 2 components are stored separately, and get composed on demand, e.g. when ordered in the webshop.

So the stocks of the 6 attributes (blank rings) potentially will be used for any of the products (gemstones).

So there is a need to control stocks of the 6 attributes (rings).

Edited by flowunited (see edit history)

• 1 year later...

Hey folks

I am looking for this feature as well.

We have a few products that always have a base product that can be purchased standalone, but are in almost every case extended with add-on components (both built-to-order modules as well as general accessories). These components should also be visible in the shop and available for users to buy individually at later stage (with individual stock management), but for the initial product purchase it seems unreasonable in our case to expect shoppers to manually add multiple individual items to their cart to make up what would ship as one item. It must be as easy as selecting from a list similar to product combinations.

Accessories are too detached from the base product, packs are too constrictive, and combinations don't allow for easy stock management of individual attributes. I understand I can control stock quantities for EVERY combination, but I want to manage stock of each individual attribute separately and then have my store calculate whether a specific combination is available on demand.

For the life of me I can't see how to do this in PrestaShop. Any thoughts?

• 1 year later...

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend your module.

I just feel that once you choose prestashop you'll have to keep buying modules to make the platform work right. That's where I'm right now and it's really annoying!

They have advanced stock management but don't have a simple feature like this.

• 2 months later...