Custom fields on product page into cart

yesdev

I'm needing to extend the product page even further than what I already have. This in itself get complex.

In order to minimise combinations & database overheads, all I want is:

• 1 free text field as a getValue string 
  • the sum of various extra select / option boxes & checkboxes turning into a getValue parameter as a string

As it stands, we have a sum total of 22 extra various select boxes & checkboxes spread across 5 categories. The more product categories we have, the more this number will increase. I want to combine the $_POST output of what is on that area of the product page into a single getValue string variable.

Product customisations wouldn't be the way to do this because:

• the number of extra form variables varies between product groups & it would take too long to replicate this into product attributes. As it stands, we are looking at potentially 80,000 product variations per product without including these extra form variables. I don't want to push this into millions of product variations per product by introducing more attributes than I need.
  • product customisation functionality won't allow me to grab the sum total of multiple form select boxes / checkboxes & turn them into a single string variable available to be called by getValue

By minimising the $_POST output to 2 potential variables that I can put inside the cart_product table, it will minimise product combinations, attributes and overall database load.

Does anyone have any ideas how to achieve what I'm looking for? Or a software package that would do this for me?