TUTORIAL: How to display the Left and or Right column on pages

Yngvi

Displaying the left column on all pages using a the generic theme or a copy of it

Step One
1. In admin, click on modules then themes.
2. On the next page click edit next to your theme
3. Make sure “Default Left Column’ is green / yes
4. Click ‘Save’ button if you have made changes.
5. Scroll down to appearance of columns and make sure that each page where you want the column to display is green / yes.

Step Two
1. In Admin click on Modules/positions.
2. Scroll down to displayLeftColumn (the blue title of the section). It is near the bottom of the very long list.
3. Click ‘edit’ next to the first module that is in displayLeftColumn
4. Under Exceptions, only the page where you DO NOT want the left column to display should be highlighted in blue.
5. If you want to keep the generic setup but just display the column on the product page for example, then  under exceptions in the field that lists all the exceptions, remove all instances of ‘product,’. There may be more than one instance. Each exception must be separated by a comma
6. Click ‘Save’. Then in a separate window, check your page on the front end and that module should now display in the selected column.
7. Go back to modules/positions, scroll back down to displayLeftColumn and repeat the above steps for each module that is in the left column, clicking ‘Save’ after making any changes.
8. If there is a module that you do not want to appear on any of your pages, click the down arrow next to edit and select ‘unhook’ to remove the module from all pages in that column.

If you later wish to add a module to the column, In modules/themes, on the top green bar, select ‘Transplant a module’ with the big white anchor. Then on the next page, select the module, choose the place where you wish to display that module e/g/ displayLeftColumn or displayRightColumn. Select the page where the module will NOT be displayed and click ‘save’

NOTE: If you want to keep the generic setup but add the column to specific pages e.g. ‘Product’ In the horizontal list of exceptions separated by a comma, some pages may appear more than once. Make sure to delete all instances of the page that you do not want to display. In some module, the specific page e.g. ‘products’ may appear more than once (I do not know why but some are listed more than once). When you are done, the list of page where the module will NOT APPEAR are listed separated by a comma. Make sure to click ‘Save’ after making changes.

Step Three
1. If you do not want a specific module to display on a specific page then in modules/positions, scroll back down to displayLeftColumn and select the module that you do not want to display. Example “layered navigation block’ serves no real purpose on the left column of the product page. Cllck edit next to this module and in the list, highlight the pages where you do not want the module to display. Use cmmd click to select multiple pages.
2. Click ‘Save’
3. Repeat the above for any other modules that you DO NOT want to display.

Step Four
1. Repeat all of the above steps for the section .displayRightColumn. if you want to display the right column.

The columns should now display on all the pages that you have chosen

Edited by Yngvi (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Very nicely explained. I think it would be good if you place [tutorial] in the thread title. I thought you have a problem placing sidebars even though you had followed all steps and was waiting for the problem. If you name it tutorial it would make things clearer. But great explanation!

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi i did above steps it is okay when i display left column but when i am trying to hook same category product on right column i am getting error that module cannot be transplant in this hook.

Same Category product

dispalyRightColumn

Error - This module cannot be transplanted to this hook.    

Help Please.