[solved] Yet another slow site! Please help

Hi,

I know this is a topic that seems to come up a lot on prestashop but I have yet to find a solution on the existing discussions that work. My site is very slow, most of the time, not always which is strange I think. From one load to the next it seems to change, even if I have made no changes

According to gmetrix I need to set an expiration on a number of my files. I have tried adding the recommended text to htaccess but this seems to make no difference. 

Obviously there are other problems but this is first of the list!!. A long list!!

This is code on my htaccess file

# ~~start~~ Do not remove this comment, Prestashop will keep automatically the code outside this comment when .htaccess will be generated again
# .htaccess automaticaly generated by PrestaShop e-commerce open-source solution

## EXPIRES CACHING ##
<IfModule mod_expires.c>
ExpiresActive On
ExpiresByType image/jpg "access 1 year"
ExpiresByType image/jpeg "access 1 year"
ExpiresByType image/gif "access 1 year"
ExpiresByType image/png "access 1 year"
ExpiresByType text/css "access 1 month"
ExpiresByType text/html "access 1 month"
ExpiresByType application/pdf "access 1 month"
ExpiresByType text/x-javascript "access 1 month"
ExpiresByType application/x-shockwave-flash "access 1 month"
ExpiresByType image/x-icon "access 1 year"
ExpiresDefault "access 1 month"
</IfModule>
## EXPIRES CACHING ##

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
SetEnv HTTP_MOD_REWRITE On
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^tomsheehy.com$
RewriteRule . - [E=REWRITEBASE:/Shop/]
RewriteRule ^api/?(.*)$ %{ENV:REWRITEBASE}webservice/dispatcher.php?url=$1 [QSA,L]

# Images
RewriteRule ^([0-9])(\-[_a-zA-Z0-9-]*)?(-[0-9]+)?/.+\.jpg$ %{ENV:REWRITEBASE}img/p/$1/$1$2$3.jpg [L]
RewriteRule ^([0-9])([0-9])(\-[_a-zA-Z0-9-]*)?(-[0-9]+)?/.+\.jpg$ %{ENV:REWRITEBASE}img/p/$1/$2/$1$2$3$4.jpg [L]
RewriteRule ^([0-9])([0-9])([0-9])(\-[_a-zA-Z0-9-]*)?(-[0-9]+)?/.+\.jpg$ %{ENV:REWRITEBASE}img/p/$1/$2/$3/$1$2$3$4$5.jpg [L]
RewriteRule ^([0-9])([0-9])([0-9])([0-9])(\-[_a-zA-Z0-9-]*)?(-[0-9]+)?/.+\.jpg$ %{ENV:REWRITEBASE}img/p/$1/$2/$3/$4/$1$2$3$4$5$6.jpg [L]
RewriteRule ^([0-9])([0-9])([0-9])([0-9])([0-9])(\-[_a-zA-Z0-9-]*)?(-[0-9]+)?/.+\.jpg$ %{ENV:REWRITEBASE}img/p/$1/$2/$3/$4/$5/$1$2$3$4$5$6$7.jpg [L]
RewriteRule ^([0-9])([0-9])([0-9])([0-9])([0-9])([0-9])(\-[_a-zA-Z0-9-]*)?(-[0-9]+)?/.+\.jpg$ %{ENV:REWRITEBASE}img/p/$1/$2/$3/$4/$5/$6/$1$2$3$4$5$6$7$8.jpg [L]
RewriteRule ^([0-9])([0-9])([0-9])([0-9])([0-9])([0-9])([0-9])(\-[_a-zA-Z0-9-]*)?(-[0-9]+)?/.+\.jpg$ %{ENV:REWRITEBASE}img/p/$1/$2/$3/$4/$5/$6/$7/$1$2$3$4$5$6$7$8$9.jpg [L]
RewriteRule ^([0-9])([0-9])([0-9])([0-9])([0-9])([0-9])([0-9])([0-9])(\-[_a-zA-Z0-9-]*)?(-[0-9]+)?/.+\.jpg$ %{ENV:REWRITEBASE}img/p/$1/$2/$3/$4/$5/$6/$7/$8/$1$2$3$4$5$6$7$8$9$10.jpg [L]
RewriteRule ^c/([0-9]+)(\-[\.*_a-zA-Z0-9-]*)(-[0-9]+)?/.+\.jpg$ %{ENV:REWRITEBASE}img/c/$1$2$3.jpg [L]
RewriteRule ^c/([a-zA-Z_-]+)(-[0-9]+)?/.+\.jpg$ %{ENV:REWRITEBASE}img/c/$1$2.jpg [L]
# AlphaImageLoader for IE and fancybox
RewriteRule ^images_ie/?([^/]+)\.(jpe?g|png|gif)$ js/jquery/plugins/fancybox/images/$1.$2 [L]

# Dispatcher
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -s [OR]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -l [OR]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
RewriteRule ^.*$ - [NC,L]
RewriteRule ^.*$ %{ENV:REWRITEBASE}index.php [NC,L]
</IfModule>

<IfModule mod_expires.c>
ExpiresActive On
ExpiresByType image/gif "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType image/jpeg "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType image/jpg "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType image/png "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType text/css "access plus 1 week"
ExpiresByType text/javascript "access plus 1 week"
ExpiresByType application/javascript "access plus 1 week"
ExpiresByType application/x-javascript "access plus 1 week"
ExpiresByType image/x-icon "access plus 1 year"
</IfModule>

FileETag INode MTime Size
<IfModule mod_deflate.c>
<IfModule mod_filter.c>
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/css text/javascript application/javascript application/x-javascript
</IfModule>
</IfModule>

#If rewrite mod isn't enabled
ErrorDocument 404 /Shop/index.php?controller=404

# ~~end~~ Do not remove this comment, Prestashop will keep automatically the code outside this comment when .htaccess will be generated again

my website is http://www.tomsheehy.com. I have attached the full gmetrix report for this. 

Any help appreciated. This is driving me crazy. 

GTmetrix-report-www.tomsheehy.com-20140320T072344-buCsQIw2-full.pdf

Hi El Patron,

I have installed the module, but does not seem to have made any difference. I have used the settings as outlined. According to my gmetrix report there is not change. 

Is there something I am missing?

Sorcha :-(

Hi El Patron,

I have installed the module, but does not seem to have made any difference. I have used the settings as outlined. According to my gmetrix report there is not change. 

Is there something I am missing?

Sorcha :-(

Hi sorcha,  what is your shop url?

you should see the improvement in google page speed, defer java from F to hopefully A and also visitor experience...

I do not put a lot of faith in free based metrix websites...they offer hints...but it really is about what the visitor sees.

Hi sorcha,  what is your shop url?

you should see the improvement in google page speed, defer java from F to hopefully A and also visitor experience...

I do not put a lot of faith in free based metrix websites...they offer hints...but it really is about what the visitor sees.

Hi, found your shop, very nice.

Did you select the java you wanted to load at the bottom?  After your profile the java (move to the bottom) you need to verify that the shop functions properly.  repeat this until you have moved all possible java to bottom and front office functions properly.

then you must disable the profiling so that any visitor including metrix type tests see your changes.

03.21.2014-10.56.png

http://screencast.com/t/mPApob8xY

Hi,

my website url is http://www.tomsheehy.com

I appreciate what you are saying about metrics, but the only thing I have to go on, apart from my own machine is this. I cannot really tell yet if it is faster.  I find that the speed of my site varies a lot between different computers. We have a few different machines at work, generally older one's and I find the site very slow on these. 

Thanks again for the feedback. 

• Like 1

Hi,

my website url is http://www.tomsheehy.com

I appreciate what you are saying about metrics, but the only thing I have to go on, apart from my own machine is this. I cannot really tell yet if it is faster.  I find that the speed of my site varies a lot between different computers. We have a few different machines at work, generally older one's and I find the site very slow on these. 

Thanks again for the feedback. 

if you need additional assistance please feel free to email me and/or use the chat button on the shop.  When you have finished profiling the java and feel confident to go live I can then look at it more closely.

Also much has to do with 'other' domains using resources on shared and vps and the state of internet connections which can vary from one minute to another. 

happy profiling!...

El Patron,

I have been tinkering around with the module and have to say my website seems to have sped up a lot. Thanks!!

Just one question maybe you could help me with. 

My pingdom test found a css code that is missing

http://tomsheehy.com/Shop/themes/theme723/css///fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Henny+Penny

I do not know where to find this, or how to fix. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

Sorcha

El Patron,

I have been tinkering around with the module and have to say my website seems to have sped up a lot. Thanks!!

Just one question maybe you could help me with. 

My pingdom test found a css code that is missing

http://tomsheehy.com/Shop/themes/theme723/css///fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Henny+Penny

I do not know where to find this, or how to fix. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

Sorcha

Sorcha, great new on putting more giddy up in your shop pages....:)

It would be much appreciated if you would be so kind as to let others know here:  http://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/314461-module-prestashop-javapro-remove-page-render-blocking-javascripts/

many (my self included) are reluctant to try modules either paid/free without community feedback.  All my modules have a related forum post...I think this makes developers more accountable for their work.

As for .css missing, I clicked that link but I get 404...can you give more detail?