Virtual Products with shipping charge

I hope someone can help with this.  Version 1.5.6.2

We have a book store. Here are 3 scenarios.

Scenario #1 - only PDF books in cart - no shipping charge GOOD!

Scenario #2 - only hard copy shippable books in cart - shipping charge is accurate GOOD!

Scenario #3 - combination hard books and PDF books - shipping charge is double what it should be. Each PDF book seems to add a small amount to the shipping charge. The more PDF books added, the higher the shipping becomes in small increments.

With Scenario #3 people are turned off, even when we refund the shipping.  I hope someone has a solution to this.  It has been going on for almost a year with no solution.  Is there a price rule or setting on the PDF products that we need to adjust?

Thank you so much for your assistance!  -- Mary

I think I may have an idea what is going on.  We use advanced stock management.  All tangible products can be put into advanced stock management.  When ordered, on the order form, these products all show up as being in a warehouse.  Virtual products "can" be put into a warehouse, but when orders for them are placed, they are not listed in a warehouse [because they have not been put into stock management].  Is this a glitch, or can this problem be addressed in some way?  Many thanks.  --  Mary

I am going to mark this as solved, not because it is solved, but because we have figured out the problem and can now ask a more specific question.  Here is the more specific problem, which I have made in a different post:

Our issue is that virtual products are being charged a shipping charge. If someone orders a physical product and a virtual product, it is treated as if it is shipping from 2 different locations so the shipping is doubled. Virtual products should not be changed shipping, but we can't find way to set those products up so that they are not charged shipping. Our solution has been to refund the customer for the extra shipping charge, then send the customer an e-mail to tell them so. This is a lot of extra work.

We possibly need the ability to put virtual products into advanced stock management. [We use advanced stock management] As it stands now with Presta Shop, virtual products cannot be put into advanced stock management, therefore they cannot be put into a warehouse. When people order a combination of physical and virtual product, they are charged double shipping because Presta Shop assumes the products are coming from 2 different locations.

Yes you “can” put virtual products into a warehouse, but that information is not relevant unless the virtual product is also in advanced stock management.

Is there a module that would solve this problem. It is definitely a glitch that needs attention, at least from our perspective. Our customers are not happy with double shipping charges.

Any help would be greaty appreciated.

• 6 months later...

Well this is what we ended up doing.  I make the virtual product at first into a tangible product by putting in the shipping - just a fake weight and dimensions.  I then put it into advanced stock management and make sure it goes into the correct warehouse - we only have one warehouse, but if you forget to put it in, then the customer gets charged more shipping.  So then I save.  Then I go back into the product, remove shipping, change quantity (sometimes this is tricky for some reason, so sometimes I actually change the quantity first, because I want to be able to just change the quantity without going into the advanced stock management).  Anyway - remove the shipping, then edit the information section by adding it as a virtual product.  Does this make sense?

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

We came across this problem in  version 1.6.0.9 and used the workaround above

i.e. Set the product to use advanced stock management, add it to a warehouse and add stock using Stock Management.

However one gotcha was that if the product is flipped back to being non-virtual to play around with the stock levels ( or for any other reason ) the associated uploaded file is deleted and must be uploaded again when the product is changed back to Virtual.

Which means the links sent out for any products already sold are now invalid.

Which may or may not affect customers but is worth bearing in mind.