How to modify code

markpete

Hi, all.  Very basic question, apologies if it's obvious, but I haven't been able to figure this out from looking at the forum posts:

How can I modify the code for just my installation of PrestaShop?  For example, I'm trying to fix what seems to be a bug, and found advice to modify a line of code in "classes/order/OrderHistory.php".  

I'd like to give that a try, but I presume I can't just do this from the back office / administrative area of my shop... 

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Mark

Hi Mark

Sure you can not make it with your back office.

You need to access the file with ftp (if not on a local computer), edit and upload it when fixed.

But if this looks not familiar to you, be very carefull or choose to stay with the bug.

Also post here the bug you want to fix.

Good luck

You should never, ever modify core files as any changes you make will be lost when you next upgrade your store. The correct way to change the behaviour of your store is by using a module/hook combination or an override (if there's no other choice).

It would be useful to post a link to the instructions you have and I'm sure someone can point out a much better way of achieving the end result, because modifying that file isn't the way to go.

Math_php and Paul, thank you. 

Math_php, I'm sure I can install an ftp client, but do you know where would I find the files with the code?

Paul, I'm familiar with modules, although I don't know what a hook is, or what an override is.  Any suggestions on how to get familiar with those options?  The instructions I have are here:  http://forge.prestashop.com/browse/PSCFV-8705

This is all in an effort to allow the user to download a virtual product-- for some reason they can purchase it, but never are sent a link to download it.  It seems a few other people have had this issue as well, and a number of the threads on the forums suggest modifying code to fix it.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark,

That's not so bad as it's an actual fix committed to the core. The change was made 11 months ago though so it makes me wonder what version of Prestashop you're running? It's a good idea in circumstances like this to upgrade to the latest if you can!

(Note that if you have a cpanel hosting package you can do small edits like this by downloading, editing and uploading from the FileManager built in).

Edited by Paul C (see edit history)

Definitely-- I'm running 1.5.6.2, which I believe is the latest.  I did figure that these previous fixes might have made it into the latest version, but I'm still getting the bug and wasn't sure what else to try other than the fixes that seem to apply to previous versions.