New installation 1.5.6.2 CSS problem

My newly installed prestashop 1.5.6.2 and login page seem to have no CSS styling, just plain unformatted text. Also the back office dropdown menu is permanently dropped down and very difficult to navigate. There is a spinning loading gif permanently present. See attached pictures.

I unzipped locally and uploaded by FTP. Permissions were 777. It is installed in a temporary domain until testing is completed which is:-

http://shop.thewatersoftenercentre.com.temporary-domain.com/index.php

I have pulled down, deleted the database and started again three times now, but still no CSS styling.

Any ideas anybody? 

Thanks.

post-763177-0-32961400-1393277085_thumb.jpg

post-763177-0-95631300-1393277097_thumb.jpg

post-763177-0-97582800-1393277102_thumb.jpg

it's because of "base uri" 

var baseUri = 'http://shop.thewatersoftenercentre.com.temporary-domain.com/index.php';

are you able to open preferences > seo & urls tab in your back office? if so, please check your base_uri field,

it should be defined as "/" not as an url to index page

This looks like a problem with write permissions for your htaccess file. You can try setting permissions directly to the file but some hosts override permissions on htaccess and you must get them to set permissions on the htaccess file for you.

That said if I try to load,

http://shop.thewatersoftenercentre.com.temporary-domain.com/themes/default/css/global.css

I receive this error,

----------------------------------------

WebsitePanel IIS Modules Error

AuthName directive not found.

File: C:\HostingSpaces\Ensign\shop.thewatersoftenercentre.com\wwwroot\themes\.htaccess
-----------------------------------------

So it looks like you are using a Microsoft windows IIS server and it will ignore htaccess. IIS uses a file called web.config and you must configure it yourself.

In short, if you are planning to use a windows based server in the future than continue on and learn about that environment. But if you plan to move to regular Linux hosting than perhaps you should find another way to practice. You can download and install an Apache web server for example.

Don't get me wrong, I use Windows Server myself, but I install a module that can directly use htaccess.

Bill you are spot on.

I am using a windows IIS server. My hosting support have written a single IIS rewrite rule in a web.config file for the themes folder and I can now see CSS styling, although it is still missing some images. They say that there are over 20 more .htaccess files in PS and that if I want them to write custom rules for all of them they will charge for it.

A question they asked is, is there a version of Prestashop that is designed specifically to run on a windows IIS server. I presume this means a version with web.config files instead of .htaccess files. Anyone know?

I have not yet found any software that works directly with IIS web.config. Also the problem isn't Windows or IIS. It is your "host". For example even on a Linux based host, if the proper module is not installed you miss out on features like friendly URLS. So if your host is not willing to install a very basic module, you need a new host. Because if you want a blog and install WordPress, you will have the same problem you have now.

The IIS server can use htaccess if the proper module is installed. That is the best solution.

I have attached a web.config file (make sure you rename the one you have now in case you need to revert back.

This web.config is setup for Friendly URLS. You can turn on this feature in back office Preferences >  SEO & URLs. It may give a message that it can't find a module, just ignore that.

This web.config may not work, but it might. :D

Regardless, it would get you most of the way there and your host guy should be able to tweak it without too much effort.

web.zip

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi. Want to try Prestashop on home.pl and as I see problem like this on start, it doesn`t look as a friendly software.

I have the same problem with last version 1.6.0.8 as well, and doesn`t work trick with web.config for me.

I`m tired trying to find a reason. So maybe here some answer? It shouldnt be so difficult. Thanks.

edited 17.02.2015:

Answer for me is here: https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/331640-serwer-homepl-problemy-z-prestashop-rozjechany-szablon/

just change two files .htaccess:

/themes/.htaccess
 /modules/.htaccess

original content:
<FilesMatch "\.tpl$">
Deny from all
</FilesMatch>

new content:
<Files ~ "\.tpl$">
Deny from all
</Files>

Thanks vekia