Zenith

FO: Random Quote Block

Adds a block to display a random quote.

Feedback and requests for additional features are always welcome. :-)

Installation instructions are contained in the attached archive.

blockquotes_1.0.zip

Thanks mate, i was going to do something similar soon (joke of the week), so this has saved me some time, thanks!

It is written for the current 1.2.4 version, I suggest you update your cart software if you wish to use it :)

update?
no i prefere the stable 1.1
but thanks

from 1.1 to 1.2.4 has loads of bug fixes and important sql fixes. Don't be silly and upgrade.

update?
no i prefere the stable 1.1
but thanks

same here!

Hi Zenith,

It works great with 1.2.5.

I am just wondering if it could come with this option: quote from different text files which gather under the subfolder, say "quotes" of addon's folder.

I look into the code but don't know how to achieve. Can you please help?

Thanks again!

Cheers.

When adding some LONG texts into '.Language::getIsoById(intval($cookie->id_lang)).'.txt', I usually use hard break to make paragraphs and occasionally mess up. So I simply wonder if the addon could have that option.

Well quotes are not meant to be paragraphs long, just a one liner is usually a quote. Adding more files would not change the way the file is read. A better option probably would be to parse HTML from the quote, then < br / > and all markup could be used, would that be a better option?

But editing html won't be easier for user than editing plain text although most people know how to do that. In my opinion, it's pain in the ass to play with the codes only for adding some quotes.

If markup is considered, may I suggest:
1. to use XML/database instead of text;
2. to have the configuration at BO to mange(add, modify and delete) the quote texts

By changing it this way, I don't think it is still a quote block. It could be widely used for more purposes, like posting news or whatsoever etc etc.

Thank you for your efforts to make it perfect.

I didn't mean a HTML file, I just meant that HTML that is used in the quote would be parsed, so you could use simple HTML like line breaks, bold, italic, underline, font styles, colours, etc on the text.

Configuration in the BO would require a SQL query then on the FO to read the quotes. I am against adding more SQLs to any source code where ever possible as the more queries the slower the site gets, the reason why I chose a flat .txt file to read.

I won't have my files or localhost until next week, so I am unable to test any new options until then.

Ok. I understand your points and also agree with "the lighter the better".

Subscribed. Thanks a bunch.

Is there a Version for PS 1.3? I really, really would appreciate it ;-)
best regards
roughy

lp.boe: It's a simply text quote, links aren't usually a part of a quote.

ROUGHY: It should works on 1.3 without any issues. If it doesn't post any problem you may have here.

Thank you. It works sometimes... When I fresh up, then sometimes there is no quote. Did I do something wrong?

At a guess, you may have blank lines in the txt file, each line is read as a quote, check that first. If that doesn't help attach your txt file here and I'll check it.

Yes, the problems have been the special characters. Now, everything works fine! Thank you, Zenith!

I also figured out how to implement the links into the quotes, if anyone is interested :) I use it as a "did you know..." function where customers can get hints and tips about function in the store. Like tip-a-friends discount coupons and things that your average customer maybe doesn't dig up on his own. Thanks again! =)

Hi Zenith!!

First of all, congratulations on the work you've done, I was just looking for something with the purpose of adding a text block like "The Quote Of The Day" in my homepage!! ;)

So I've downloaded and installed your module successfully, but... it doesn't work (not even if I try to refresh the page over and over)!!! :(

Could you help me??

And obviously thanks in advance!!!

Taty88

EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot, I've PS updated to the latest version...

Edited by Taty88 (see edit history)

Unfortunately like Taty88 above, the block is blank. Will this be updated to 1.5.X by any chance?

Thanks!