Big problem with customers file access on addons

Dreamtheme

Hi there,

Our customer have big problem with file access of their purchased products. If they mistakenly download 1.4.x version of the theme, the 1.5.x version is cut off.

They start to message us about file access, however we can't change their file access on addons, so we send them to Addons support and tell them to contact you at https://addons.prestashop.com/en/contact-us

For our surprise, messages from our customer to https://addons.prestashop.com/en/contact-us , are redirected back to us, so they can't get help from you and they can't get their purchased files.

In order to help them, we request for their e-mails to send them their product directly on their e-mail. However this thing cannot continue like this and sending files over e-mail is not secure and also there is no updates for this customers.

So please addons, could you please fix file access or tell us where to redirect customers to contact you because when they try to contact you, you simply redirect them to us.

This things happened over 20 times now, and I'm sure we are not the only one.

Regards

Edited by Dreamtheme (see edit history)

Hi,

Yes e-mail is not secure and it is not meant to be a storage for large files such as themes.

We keep out all our incoming and outgoing e-mails so If we send 10mb emails now and then, pretty fast our e-mail will be filled up with gigabytes of attachments on our server, and also this does not fix the lack of product updates for the customers.

If we make practice to make e-mails, imagine on our next product update when 100 customers e-mail us requesting for updates, we have to check their orders and then send another batch of large e-mails. This is just ridicules.

We have provided 2 file versions on addons and our customers should have access to both of them, and sending e-mails around is just a temporarily fix but it cannot continue like this, and PrestaShop should make available to customers what we meant to have access to.

Why should merchants manually send emails with attachments to customers.  I have no way of proving who I am speaking to, what purchase they made, and if they should have access to the module.

The customer should be able to download the products they have purchased directly from their account.  Why wouldn't they have this ability?

• Like 1

Let's not cast doubt on the relevance of the Addons system here, at least not for what I understand to be just a really simple customer care issue.

If I understood correctly, your customer made a mistake by downloading the wrong version of the theme. He did have access to the right version.

If you don't want to fix this by send them the right version of the theme (Email, WeTransfer, FTP transfer, etc...), why don't you give them a refund so they can place an order again for the right version of the theme?

You are right, he did have access to the right version but for a limited amount of time, in that case until he chose. Well this is nowhere mentioned on the product page. And we offer two versions, why he don't have access later?

For example a customer who use 1.4.x buy the theme, then he decide to use 1.5.x and then he can download the 1.5.x version. So it is perfectly viable option and we offer it, but addons limit this with no knowledge of the customers before purchase whatsoever. Also you are forgetting UPDATES, how the customer will receive product updates? via FTP or some other links? Why not just share them via torrents :)

Can you explain why do you have to limit file access at all?

And your suggestion with the refund is very bad in my opinion, first customer will decide that we are doing something wrong so there is no guarantee that he will buy it again, and second i know refunds take taxes, do you really suggest to PS pay the taxes for refunds, and handle accountant documentations just to get file access on your own platform? wow!

Its seems to me that you are trying to escape the problem and not to fix the problem.

Xavier, lets get realistic view here and correct this problem :)

Regards

Why should merchants manually send emails with attachments to customers.  I have no way of proving who I am speaking to, what purchase they made, and if they should have access to the module.

Hey Mike, 

We are not saying you should, we are saying it's an option to be considered in some cases. 

The customer should be able to download the products they have purchased directly from their account.  Why wouldn't they have this ability?

They do. However, a customer must select the version they want to download. If the customer mistakenly downloads the wrong version, they have to contact us.

After they contact us, we have to make sure we go through all the steps needed to make as sure as possible that they deleted the wrong version from their computers. Many times, we ask the developer of the concerned module if they agree to allow us to re-open the download because the customer made a mistake.

Without these steps, a customer can intentionally download the wrong version, (1.4) and then download the "right" version (1.5) and now he has both of your modules. 

I can agree that there are ways we can make sure that the customer does not download the wrong version. In terms of having a clear interface etc... but all of this does not take away the possibility of human error. 

So please addons, could you please fix file access or tell us where to redirect customers to contact you because when they try to contact you, you simply redirect them to us.

This things happened over 20 times now, and I'm sure we are not the only one.

Regards

Hi Dreamtheme, 

Please give us suggestions on how you think we should fix it. We are constantly doing our best to improve the Addons experience for both the contributors and the developers. I don't think we should have an option that says "Downloaded the wrong version?" and automatically re-open the download once that's clicked. We need to have confirmation from the developer that you agree and confirm to re-open the download. 

You can either send the module to the customer through email or contact us to re-open the download. As Mike touched on earlier, how do we know they downloaded the wrong version and aren't trying to scam you? That is why we redirect to the contributor. From there, it's the contributors decision to go about sending them the module and/or contacting us to reopen the module for another download and/or updates. 

• Like 1

Please give us suggestions on how you think we should fix it. We are constantly doing our best to improve the Addons experience for both the contributors and the developers. As Mike touched on earlier, how do we know they downloaded the wrong version and aren't trying to scam you? That is why we redirect to the contributor.

Hi Benjamin,

Its seems that i don't understand something, i don't see what is the problem of customer to have both of our versions? At least our intentions is to have both versions, and if addons file upload limit was higher we would have included both version in one zip file. But due to addons file limit, we needed to split them apart. this still does not give him the right to use it twice, but only once.

Also we have a customer who installed 2 times the same version in multishop environment, and i have notified addons on the contact platform and requested to revoke his license so he can't get theme updates or support in the future and to ban him for braking licenses, however addons did not replay to me and its more then 10 days now.

In other words if a client want to abuse, i don't believe that limited access to older versions will stop them from doing it :)

You make some valid points. However, by including two versions in one download, I think we both can imagine the number of complaints from customers who install the wrong version, write a bad review about your module etc etc..

In fact, I would bet that the number of wrong installations from have a multiple version download package would be dramatically more than the number of wrong installations due to the customer downloading the wrong version. Even if you specify in detail the steps to install the correct version, there is no way to eliminate human error. 

Regarding the client abuse case you brought up, PM me the details and I'll look into it.

The way that we have it now is time consuming for all of us but it is necessary to check and confirm with all parties involved before we open the download again. You are right, there is no way to stop client abuse completely. But limiting downloads is certainly a standard way to protect some client abuse, there is no denying that. 

OK you are probably right about wrong installation and you also have good point.

The solution for now i see is to tell me who to contact directly in such cases so you can reopen download for them, but this should be direct contact and resolved quickly because if i just send general message to addons contacts and 10 days there is no replay, i believe customers would request refund :)

P.S i will PM about the abuse.

It seems we have come to the root of the problem.

I must say that the waiting time is not ideal, and we know that. We are actively trying to decrease the waiting time.

For any Addons issues, I would contact the Addons team as usual. If you have not received a response from our team in three business days. Please PM me saying that you have not gotten a response in three business days, and explain the issue to me with the relevant Emails and Order #s if necessary. I will then do my best to resolve the manner and make sure all parties involved are aware of the issue and pending resolution

• Like 1