How access to FTP?

Hello,

Need to modify the settings in the theme from Prestashop's addons. I have uploaded the zip-file to the shop, but need now to make some modifications to the zip-file. Obviously it is possible to do it directly from the admin panel, but where exactly?

hello

in back office there is no place to change prestashop filesystem.

you have to use FTP connection, 

so connect to your FTP, go to /themes/ directory and open your theme subdir

you can open theme files there (or download these files onto your PC, after modifications just upload them via FTP service)

Well, spent an another day and evening trying to understand something, but without any results. Or actually with one - tired and frustrated in the end. After I have opened the ftp-connection (ftp/nameoftheshop.com), I was able to see the files indeed, but everything was only in reading mode, no possibility to make the changes. I went through the several providers of FTP - no clear instructions how to access to FTP, nothing.

Every single small modification I need to do in Prestashop makes me to make a huge amount of researches and takes several days and for the biggest part with zero result in the end. Obviously Prestashop is not dedicated to the ordinary users without it-skills. :( 

• Like 2

Well, spent an another day and evening trying to understand something, but without any results. Or actually with one - tired and frustrated in the end. After I have opened the ftp-connection (ftp/nameoftheshop.com), I was able to see the files indeed, but everything was only in reading mode, no possibility to make the changes. I went through the several providers of FTP - no clear instructions how to access to FTP, nothing.

Every single small modification I need to do in Prestashop makes me to make a huge amount of researches and takes several days and for the biggest part with zero result in the end. Obviously Prestashop is not dedicated to the ordinary users without it-skills. :(

FTP access is imperative to know. All websites site owners know their FTP. The best suggestion I can give is to ask your hosting provider for your FTP credentials.

The client or provider of FTP is not the issue, it's knowing your credentials. Once you get the credentials that can only be provided from your hosting provider, I suggest you use Filezilla FTP client. 

I'm already the owner of 2 webstores - very easy to administate without any knowledge of FTP. Prestashop is very different.

Of course I have succeeded to get FTP credentials from my cPanel - this part was very easy, even if I had to read some instructions before. As I have told previously, I was able to connect to FTP, but there was possible only to have a look at css, but not possible to do the modifications.

I went through all the possible methods of FTP connection, including Filezilla. I have downloaded Filezilla my computer, but it is not working. I see the Filezilla file in my downloads, but nothing more - no windows which would alloud me to finish the installation.

• Like 1

You need to install and configure a FTP-Client. Prestashop installing docu suggests Filezilla, but you can use any other FTP-Client too. Search with Google for FTP-Client and take the one which better fits.

For to login/connection data you should ask your provider, which they are.

Generally you use Host (www or IP) , FTP protocol, without SSL, normal connection. add your username and password and you will be able to connect. But please ask your provider for help.

Edited by selectshop.at (see edit history)