SOLVED problem with google site map

hi all

I went into back office/modules configure site map. I then pasted the sitemap URL in Google webmaster tools at the sitemap prompt. It has returned the following error:

General HTTP error: 404 not found
We encountered an error while trying to access your Sitemap. Please ensure your Sitemap follows our guidelines and can be accessed at the location you provided and then resubmit.

What have I missed or done wrong please?
Is there something else I should have done?

I have just read an old post about "robots.txt file ". [/b]Is that something to do with it

cheers everybody

Thanks TropischBruin

I have had the site verified by google, so I assume that is okay. It must be something I have not done correctly.

As it is showing a 404 code, I understand that means page not found. The back office shows that site map can be found at ......... This is there okay.
should I have to paste something into my files in Cpanel.

regards

Hippooflove

• 2 years later...

This post is marked as solved, but I don't see a solution!

Anyway, I had this same issue when submitting Google sitemap. The problem for me was I had not generated my robots.txt file. In PrestaShop BO, go to "Tools - Generators" and at the bottom of the page click "Generate robots.txt file".

Then still in the BO, go to "Modules - SEO - Google Sitemap" and configure this to generate your sitemap. You can then submit "sitemap.xml" to Google.

Hope this helps others...

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I have been having the same problem but generating the robot txt file has not changed anything. If I past the url into my browser ti is fine apart from a message at the top saying This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

Google webmaster tools comes up with the error html 404 page not found.

Can someone please help.

Thanks and take care.

Chris

• 8 months later...

I had the exact same problem and this solution worked perfectly.  You have to follow the directions that glennlawre gives in order to set it up correctly.  After generating the robots.txt file, it still didn't work for me.  After that fail, I correctly followed the directions and created a sitemap again.  This time it worked perfectly.  Even if you have already created a sitemap, it won't work if there is not robots.txt file already in place before you create the file.

BTW - In 1.5.x you have to generate the robots.txt file at the bottom of the page in

Preferences --> SEO & URLs 

Thanks glennlawre!

This post is marked as solved, but I don't see a solution!

Anyway, I had this same issue when submitting Google sitemap. The problem for me was I had not generated my robots.txt file. In PrestaShop BO, go to "Tools - Generators" and at the bottom of the page click "Generate robots.txt file".

Then still in the BO, go to "Modules - SEO - Google Sitemap" and configure this to generate your sitemap. You can then submit "sitemap.xml" to Google.

Hope this helps others...

Edited by Joe Retail (see edit history)

• 5 months later...

I have updated the module from github but after submitting 1_index_sitemap.xml in webmaster tool I get this eror URL restricted by robots.txt. I cant solve this issue.. Plzz help me

Hi tahnushree, this problem is unrelated to the thread. Backup your store and manually remove the htaccess file. Alternatively, you can backup and then turn Friendly URL Off and then On in Preferences>SEO and URLS