Improvement on the rating system on Addons

Xavier  du Tertre

It is great to hear about such improvements, thanks for your work. I have a few other issues I hope you can help with.

Can we also dispute a rating? I have a few ratings where a customer complains about not being able to reach support. I have no way of communicating them as they have not used the contact link, simply because they could not locate it. There is also no direct link between a rating and customer threads for that order, making it really difficult to identify the customer. It would be nice if there was a way to contact the customer that gave the rating.

Another case is when a customer wants to use a single license on multiple shops. They are breaching the terms and conditions that you made, but if I refuse to help them steal my work, they give a bad rating. I don't think that is fair.

There are also a few cases where the customer gave a good rating, but forgot to give ratings for all three fields (i.e. Documentation's rate, Ease installation's rate, it could also be a glitch as they appear to be 0), bringing down the average.

It is great to hear about such improvements, thanks for your work. I have a few other issues I hope you can help with.

Can we also dispute a rating? I have a few ratings where a customer complains about not being able to reach support. I have no way of communicating them as they have not used the contact link, simply because they could not locate it. There is also no direct link between a rating and customer threads for that order, making it really difficult to identify the customer. It would be nice if there was a way to contact the customer that gave the rating.

Interesting point. Unfortunately, we cannot automatically provide you with the contact details of customers rating modules, because that would create dubious behaviors from some contributors tempted to take the easy way out and ask for a better rating with intimidation rather than customer support.

What we will do, is reminding all customers who rate a module of the contact form through which they can get in touch with the contributor.

There are also a few cases where the customer gave a good rating, but forgot to give ratings for all three fields (i.e. Documentation's rate, Ease installation's rate, it could also be a glitch as they appear to be 0), bringing down the average.

That's weird... We just double-checked, and it's not possible to validate a rating if you don't give at least 1 star for every field. And I checked your account, you've never had a 0-star rating...

That's weird... We just double-checked, and it's not possible to validate a rating if you don't give at least 1 star for every field. And I checked your account, you've never had a 0-star rating...

I can no longer see them, but they were there yesterday. Something like:

• Module's rate                       5/5
  • Documentation's rate           0/5
  • Ease installation's rate         0/5

But now old ratings are no longer there. For example one module says 8 ratings, but I can only see 3 of them.

Interesting point. Unfortunately, we cannot automatically provide you with the contact details of customers rating modules, because that would create dubious behaviors from some contributors tempted to take the easy way out and ask for a better rating with intimidation rather than customer support. 

How about dubious behaviors from some customers, as I explained above? Most marketplaces have some sort of mediation option, where you can escalate an issue to be reviewed. Prestashop does not have anything like that.

And again, there are the ratings given solely due to problems with the addons site itself. Why should I get a bad rating for a problem with your system?

But now old ratings are no longer there. For example one module says 8 ratings, but I can only see 3 of them.

Only recent ratings are displayed (6 months and less). Theses ratings you're missing must be older.

How about dubious behaviors from some customers, as I explained above? Most marketplaces have some sort of mediation option, where you can escalate an issue to be reviewed. Prestashop does not have anything like that.

And again, there are the ratings given solely due to problems with the addons site itself. Why should I get a bad rating for a problem with your system?

From now, when the average rating for is 3 stars and less (for one module/one customer), a message is displayed for the customer to contact the contributor with his question. That should improve a lot your ratings, as it will make all comunication between customers and contributors easier.

If your receive feedback about a the Addons site itself, please forward it to the team as this is the best way for us to improve our platform.

You seem unhappy with our services as a marketplace, and I obviously don't feel good about your feeling. Please be sure that we are working everyday to make sure that the Addons site meets all your expectations. I'm always available if you need to contact us about anything.

Have a good one!

Only recent ratings are displayed (6 months and less). Theses ratings you're missing must be older.

Why? Why can I no longer see old ratings? By doing that, you are not fixing anything, just hiding the problems. I think it is well within my right to see all the ratings, even the ones older than 6 months. And this is not some sort of a technical difficulty, you have spend time and effort to change the system so that only the recent ratings are visible. That is not very reassuring of addons.

Again, I was able to see them yesterday, and some of them were clearly faulty, with "0" stars, even if you have hidden them from me I am still able to remember what I saw yesterday. You still have not addressed that issue.

If your receive feedback about a the Addons site itself, please forward it to the team as this is the best way for us to improve our platform.

Why should I bother, I will still have the bad rating. Besides, I have forwarded them in the past, it took you a few years to do the recent changes you made. I don't see myself staying with Prestashop for that long, I literally have no incentive here.

And again, for the third time, you have not addresses the issue of dubious behavior from customers. Am I supposed to help people steal my module just to get a good rating? You are supposed to ban such customers, not help them.

To be hundred percent clear these are the issues that still need to be addressed:

• Ratings with "0" stars that are obviously a technical fault.
  • Hiding older ratings from contributors
  • Helping dubious customers get away with stealing licenses

Ratings with "0" stars that are obviously a technical fault.

Again, we cannot replicate this bug, nor have we witnessed it in the past. If you do witness it, please send a screenshot. It's a pretty wild accusation to say that we purposely hid faulty ratings from you, please give us a little credit. Especially since our philosophy is all about transparency. I think my interventions on this forum show that plain and clear.

Hiding older ratings from contributors

Ratings older than 6 months are not only "not visible", but they are not taken into account for the general rating (average) of a module, since a developer is supposed to update their modules regularly and they often correct bugs and mistakes. We consider that if a module was faulty 9 months ago and is functional now, then the developer shouldn't be impacted by bad ratings he could have gotten at the time.

This system has existed for a while now, in agreement with the community contributors (saying that the contributors even asked for it wouldn't be a stretch, actually).

Helping dubious customers get away with stealing licenses

Again, wild accusations. Why would we help customers do that? It's not even in our interest. We sell modules, themes. You sell modules and themes. Community contributors sell modules and themes. Our products are virtual and yes, some customers do install them on more than one store. It's not fair game, but it happens. I find it a bit awkward that you'd put that on us.

Ratings older than 6 months are not only "not visible", but they are not taken into account for the general rating (average) of a module, since a developer is supposed to update their modules regularly and they often correct bugs and mistakes. We consider that if a module was faulty 9 months ago and is functional now, then the developer shouldn't be impacted by bad ratings he could have gotten at the time.

This system has existed for a while now, in agreement with the community contributors (saying that the contributors even asked for it wouldn't be a stretch, actually).

In agreement with which community contributors? As far as I know, I am one of the contributors, yet this is the first time I hear about it. Please tell me, when and where did you share this information with the contributors?

Again, wild accusations. Why would we help customers do that? It's not even in our interest. We sell modules, themes. You sell modules and themes. Community contributors sell modules and themes. Our products are virtual and yes, some customers do install them on more than one store. It's not fair game, but it happens. I find it a bit awkward that you'd put that on us.

It is not an accusation, it is an observation. What do you do when a customer buys a single license and uses it on multiple shops? What do you do when the same customer gives a bad rating when they got caught?

Again, we cannot replicate this bug, nor have we witnessed it in the past. If you do witness it, please send a screenshot. It's a pretty wild accusation to say that we purposely hid faulty ratings from you, please give us a little credit. Especially since our philosophy is all about transparency. I think my interventions on this forum show that plain and clear.

I can not send a screenshot. You know why? Because I can no longer see those ratings.

I am sharing the problems that I experienced and continue to experience, and some others have similar experiences. Calling them "wild accusations" does not really solve them.

In agreement with which community contributors? As far as I know, I am one of the contributors, yet this is the first time I hear about it. Please tell me, when and where did you share this information with the contributors?

We received feedback from many contributors regarding this to be added. I'm not sure if we shared this information to all the contributors earlier, but we made that decision.

If we change it 3 months, the people with bad ratings within the past 3 months would be unhappy. If we change it to 9 months, the people with mostly good ratings 12 months ago would be unhappy we didn't change it to 12 months.

We are sharing the information now to you. We knew it wasn't going to make everyone happy.

It is not an accusation, it is an observation. What do you do when a customer buys a single license and uses it on multiple shops? What do you do when the same customer gives a bad rating when they got caught?

If the customer gives a bad rating after that, he's a bitter customer, we aren't in the business of character building and we aren't going down that road.

I am sharing the problems that I experienced and continue to experience, and some others have similar experiences. Calling them "wild accusations" does not really solve them.

You are accusing us of helping customers steal Addons modules from our own contributors, now that doesn't solve anything either.