A custom look for homepage?

Hello,
I've been browsing some themes in the forums and also in the live demos page and noticed that a lot of people are showing a custom looking front page with no right/left columns... just an image or slideshow (and sometimes featured products under). I really like that look!

How do I got about customizing the homepage so that I can show only a image or slideshow of images, with no left or right columns?

In the back office you need to set exceptions for the modules in the columns. Go to back office - modules - positions and then edit each module - and in the exceptions put "index.php" for each module. That will make that module not appear on the front page.

Thanks Iamcaptain!

Strike, I was having the same problem as you. I had a large white space on the left side of my page (because I am only using left columns). To fix this, I removed the width from #left_column in my global.css file.

BUT... now I have a new problem. When viewing the product pages using Internet Explorer, after I click the 'view full size' to see the large version of the photo and then click the "close" link, my entire left column disappears and the whole product section shifts to the left. Its very weird. The column is there on page load but completely disappears after viewing the picture. Anyone know how to fix that?

I'm pretty sure you change the widths in the global.css file and/or possibly also in modules/editorial/slider/prod.css. I would be more specific except that I had to use a different method because I'm using only the left column and I'm making my template using quite a bit of HTML so I'm not actually working with the css file that much.