Different Way to Create Themes?

Hello,
I have a question about the template system. As far as I understand, templates work like this:

header/footer .tpl files include the hooks to top, left, right and bottom hooks
The hooks are like containers that display various modules depending on what you install in admin area
Those modules then show up on the site. To edit them, you edit the corresponding files in the modules folder.

Correct? If so, what I want like to know is: Can I skip one of those steps by doing the following:

inside header/footer .tpl files, instead of adding hook tags, can I add/reference the actual module I want to use?? Is that possible? I want to design my site, which is actually table based, by splitting the template into the header and footer files and then add the modules "tags" (if there are any) to the exact place I want it to appear. I know that in some php programs, it works this way and you can add the modules/blocks by adding tags like: {$Blocks->wishlist}

Would this work? And is so, what is the tag format used to reference/call a block?
Thanks in advance.

Okay I sorta got it working by putting the code directly into my header/footer files. Would still like to know if there are any special tag/names for the blocks so that I can call them directly (without using the hook). If anyone knows, I would appreciate some help.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I imagine that is very true (and I am worried about future upgrades) but I cannot think of/find another way to be able to REALLY customize this cart without breaking everything up. If there is a way to completely customize the cart without touching the main structure, nobody seems to be willing to share this info.