Language and google indexation

ptemmerman

Hi,

Until now my webshop only has 1 language enabled.

This means all URLs are formatted in the following manner:

www.example.com/12-productname

Google is indexing these URLs.

However, in the future I will enable more languages for my webshop. From my tests I see that this will result in a changed URL format:

www.example.com/language_code/12-productname

The current indexed URLs in Google will result in a 404 error, which would be catastrophic for my click through rate.

Any advise on what would be the best way to cope with this?

No, this will not hurt you if the only change is enabling the multi language feature. This is because PrestaShop will automatically redirect the old url, 

www.example.com/12-productname

to

www.example.com/language_code/12-productname

Depending on your setup, I believe the default error code 302, but if you are using a module like, Duplicate URL Redirect

http://www.presto-changeo.com/en/prestashop-modules/25-duplicate-url-redirect.html

It will give a proper 301.

Regardless, 301 or 302 are both ok for this type of thing. The point is no 404, no problem. Turning on the language function will not hurt your listings, proper redirects and error codes are all built in.

Edited by Bill Dalton (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thank you for your reply Bill.

I quickly tried what you said by enabling a second language for a moment.

When I reload a product page that I successfully opened before enabling the second language, I get a 404 error.

I don't know if it matters, the example URLs I gave were wrong.

Instead of www.example.com/12-productname the URLs are formatted like this:

www.example.com/category-name/12-productname

Can you tell me which Prestashop settings affect this behavior?

No the example URLS are fine. As mentioned I'm use the module Duplicate URL Redirect, I linked to it above I highly recommend it. It solves some very common URL problems. To see what you are going through I disabled the module and tried it bare metal. I found that I had to force PS to rewrite the .htaccess, by turning off friendly urls and turning them on again, I also had to clean up the cache files to make it would work.

Best advice I can offer is to buy this module, Duplicate URL Redirect

http://www.presto-changeo.com/en/prestashop-modules/25-duplicate-url-redirect.html

For 35 bucks it solves many SEO issues automatically, and you don't even need to think about them.

Edited by Bill Dalton (see edit history)
  • Like 2